PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I am getting a brand new Mogul to replace my current one, will i lose everything? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8516)

1magine 09-15-2007 03:30 AM

I am getting a brand new Mogul to replace my current one, will i lose everything?

sup guys,
will i have to reinstall everything?
or will my new mogul have all the programs and contacts and everything once i ActiveSync it to my computer?
thanks again!

Kasracer 09-15-2007 03:38 AM

Well, since all of your contacts and everything is stored on your computer, when you connect your new phone you'll have no problem copying those over. The applications, of course, do not sync like data. Unless you installed the application through your system, active sync will not have the program to install.

If you did install them through active sync, then you can open programs and check which ones to install on the new device.

jtrag 09-15-2007 07:43 AM

Or you can use a program like SPB Clone to make a copy of your phone the way it is, and PIM Backup to backup all your contacts and all. Then when you get your new phone, just run the files on it and it will bring it back to the way it is now except it will be a new phone. Make sure you hard reset your old phone before sending it back so none of your personal data is on the phone for some technician to go through if they get bored at work LOL.

ScandaLex 09-15-2007 08:14 AM

Or you could just back up everything from your old phone to your storage card and restore to the new phone.

jtrag 09-15-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScandaLex (Post 87832)
Or you could just back up everything from your old phone to your storage card and restore to the new phone.

That's pretty much what I just told him to do. I even named a few programs that he will need in order for him to do it correctly.

Darkness231 09-15-2007 10:54 AM

You also need to make sure your ROM versions are the same. Most people are on 2.09 already...but if you are on 2.08 and your new phone is 2.09 the restore from the backup will essentially downgrade your new phone

guitardoc64 09-15-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrageser (Post 87829)
Or you can use a program like SPB Clone to make a copy of your phone the way it is, and PIM Backup to backup all your contacts and all. Then when you get your new phone, just run the files on it and it will bring it back to the way it is now except it will be a new phone. Make sure you hard reset your old phone before sending it back so none of your personal data is on the phone for some technician to go through if they get bored at work LOL.

SPB clone is good. SPB backup will do it, but you have to use a custom backup and choose the data you want backed up, unless you want to create registry problems. Definitely hard-reset your old phone! I recently got a 6700 off ebay, and the former owner didn't hard-reset, and ALL their info was there! I immediately hard-reset the phone to preserve their privacy. I suggest just synching contacts etc with ActiveSync and installing the Apps into the new phone (the hard way) as restoring your backup with SPB might copy over errors from the old phone and create new ones.

1magine 09-15-2007 07:41 PM

thanks guys!
my rom version is 2.13.666.0

jtrag 09-16-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 87907)
SPB clone is good. SPB backup will do it, but you have to use a custom backup and choose the data you want backed up, unless you want to create registry problems. Definitely hard-reset your old phone! I recently got a 6700 off ebay, and the former owner didn't hard-reset, and ALL their info was there! I immediately hard-reset the phone to preserve their privacy. I suggest just synching contacts etc with ActiveSync and installing the Apps into the new phone (the hard way) as restoring your backup with SPB might copy over errors from the old phone and create new ones.

I agree with this. You should install everything the hard way the first time you use your new phone. Once you get the basic apps installed/configured, use SPB Backup to make a Full Backup of your phone. That way, if you run into problems, you can Hard Reset, load the backup and your phone will be right back to the way it was when you backed up.

riotek 09-16-2007 08:48 PM

Anyone wanna tell me the difference between spb clone and spb backup... Im currently using spb backup and woundering if there is anything im missing from clone.