PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW - Sprint Branded
Carrier: Sprint

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to volDeus Send a message via Skype™ to volDeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Its not just an issue of "wiring"... or at least, not the simple sense of it.

There's actually an extra pin that HTC uses for stereo sound that doesn't exist on regular mini-USB ports!

If you look closely at the headset provided with the Mogul / Titan (or any HTC with USB audio), you'll notice that it actually looks different than an average mini-USB plug. Instead of both sides being a slight angle, one side of the HTC plug is a perfect 90 degree squared one. That houses the extra pins used for stereo.

Motorola decided to use some of the pins of a regular USB plug, whereas HTC added new ones.

They are NOT compatible and neither is standard!
could be wrong but im pretty sure thats a little bit off ... the squared corner of the ExTUSB connector is just to prevent you from putting it in normal mini-usb socket ... normal mini-usb connectors usually have 5 pins (sometimes 4) ... the ExtUSB is double sided with the normal 5 pins across the wide side (5vdc+, data-, data+, device presence, and ground) and another 5 that carry audio and the call button signal wire (mic+, another ground, left+, right+, and signal) ... im not sure of the order of the second 5 but i could figure it out with an ohm meter and the adapter i made if anyone is curious ...

that semson thing looks like it would work out well ... i wish i had seen it before i chopped my headset up oh well ... i like the custom look ..

Last edited by volDeus; 09-08-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

Gilliland is just getting started
Dishe is right that there is no particular standard for USB-connected headphones. So there is no right or wrong answer at that end.

There is a standard, though, for stereo on a TRS connector. The Semsons adapter gets it right - it matches the HTC-style USB connection with a properly wired TRS jack. Of course, that's 3.5mm only. If you want to connect a normal set of headphones using a 2.5mm plug, you're apparently out of luck.

Last edited by Gilliland; 09-08-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2

aw3964 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland View Post
Dishe is right that there is no particular standard for USB-connected headphones. So there is no right or wrong answer at that end.

There is a standard, though, for stereo on a TRS connector. The Semsons adapter gets it right - it matches the HTC-style USB connection with a properly wired TRS jack. Of course, that's 3.5mm only. If you want to connect a normal set of headphones using a 2.5mm plug, you're apparently out of luck.
if you want the 2.5mm connection, htc offered an adapter that came with the mogul including the earphones.

i was looking into this for the past couple of days, the motorola headset offered wont work, regardless if you have the adapter that comes with the mogul. the tip has to be used throught a 2.5mm or 3.5mm depending on the adapter youre using.

just my two cents, im still looking for a way where no adapter is needed
Old 09-08-2007, 07:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw3964 View Post
if you want the 2.5mm connection, htc offered an adapter that came with the mogul including the earphones.
And with that, we've come full circle. <g> This whole discussion started, a few days ago in a different thread, with the discovery that the HTC adapter only connected the right audio channel.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: sprint

seidioseidio is a n00b
Quote:

Seidio is developing an adaptor for PPC 6800 (mini USB to 2.5 mm female jack), will keep you informed.

also Seidio offers a full line of audio adaptor designed just for PPC 6800.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...&Category=1175

Seidio
Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Dishe is right that there is no particular standard for USB-connected headphones.
yes he is right about that ... but as far as the square corner with one extra pin thing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
Seidio is developing an adaptor for PPC 6800 (mini USB to 2.5 mm female jack), will keep you informed.

also Seidio offers a full line of audio adaptor designed just for PPC 6800.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...&Category=1175

Seidio
looks awesome ... much less obtrusive and stiff(dangerous) than semson's product ... but are there plans for any type of splitters??

Mini-USB/3.5 stereo
Mini-USB/2.5 stereo
Mini-USB/2.5 headset (TRRS right?)
or even Mini-USB/2.5 stereo with a mic and call button like the "AUDIO ADAPTOR (E.MINIUSB TO 3.5MM) WITH ONE-TOUCH/MIC" (i would be very interested in this one)
Old 09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Destructor is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by volDeus View Post
Mini-USB/3.5 stereo
http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Buy that, problem solved, and it's dirt cheap and sits flush with the Mogul.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
http://www.semsons.com/2miusband3st.html

Buy that, problem solved, and it's dirt cheap and sits flush with the Mogul.
two reasons im not a big fan of the semson adapter ... it has a bulky obtrusive look underneath a device with a small attractive form factor (at least compared to similar older PPCs) ... and over time im pretty sure it will put alot more wear on your device's ExtUSB socket or worse considering its one solid piece with no flexible joints and all its weight and leverage are supported by the plug ...

hence my comment to the seido guy
"looks awesome ... much less obtrusive and stiff(dangerous) than semson's product ... but are there plans for any type of splitters??"
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by volDeus View Post
looks awesome ... much less obtrusive and stiff(dangerous) than semson's product ... but are there plans for any type of splitters??

Mini-USB/3.5 stereo
Mini-USB/2.5 stereo
Mini-USB/2.5 headset (TRRS right?)
or even Mini-USB/2.5 stereo with a mic and call button like the "AUDIO ADAPTOR (E.MINIUSB TO 3.5MM) WITH ONE-TOUCH/MIC" (i would be very interested in this one)
Yes, it seems to me that someone should be able to make a multi-adapter for the HTC devices. One that included both 2.5 and 3.5 mm sockets, with a mic built in to the adapter that could be overridden by a mic that came built in to the headset. That should cover all the bases.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

sandiegodude is just getting started
The Mogul would look like an octopus with all the multi adapters dangling from the mini usb port! Man, i'm using my ipod now more than i did with my 6700 because of this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan