PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How do I change the phone number on my 6800? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7884)

Gilliland 09-02-2007 06:36 PM

How do I change the phone number on my 6800?

I purchased a Sprint Mogul last week and spent the past five days getting familiar with it and setting up some tweaks and software (PDANet, AIM, TCPMP, PocketCM, XButton, Mars Weather, mNotes replication, PHM RedEdit).

So now that it is set up to my liking, I asked Sprint to port my phone number over from AT&T. They initiated the port, then the CSR attempted to walk me through the process to change the number stored in the phone. However, it didn't work.

He asked me to reboot the phone, then go to the dial pad and enter ##191654#. That was supposed to take me to an internal menu where I could edit the number assigned to the phone. However, instead, it simply did nothing.

Does anyone know the right way to edit the number in my 6800? Does anyone see any software in the list above that might interfere with the process? Are there any registry changes that might have broken this? (I made very few changes there.)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

shellguy 09-02-2007 09:14 PM

maybe he ment i think ##778# ???
think you may need what is it the msl number or something

Will

Mustang46L 09-02-2007 09:15 PM

You need your MSL code. The 6-digit code they gave you was probably the OTSLK. You need to call them back and ask for assistance programming your phone. Because the phone was programmed previously they should instead give you the MSL code.

Gilliland 09-02-2007 09:55 PM

Thanks, you have collectively been very helpful. Shellguy's recollection of the ##778# is correct - that's the code that brings up the edit menu. Then the MSL code is required, and that (as it turns out) is the six digit number that the CSR gave me. So I'm now able to get into the phone's internal settings.

There are two different phone numbers in there. One is the "Mobile Directory Number", which is currently set to the number that I've been using. Obviously, I should change this to the new number.

The other is the "MSID". That is set to a number that I've never seen before. It's not my new number, it's not my old number. But it is a phone number in my same area code. I don't know whether I should change that to the ported number or if I should just leave it alone.

Does anyone know what an "MSID" is?

In fact, now that I look closer, I see several other settings that carry this same unknown phone number. There is a field called NMSI that is set to the same number, but with two leading zeros. And another one called IMSI that is set to the same number but prefaced with 31000. And there is also a field called MIN1 that contains just the seven digit number, and one called MIN2 that contains just the area code.

I'm beginning to think that I should leave all of these numbers alone. But it would still be helpful to understand what an MSID is. Anyone know?

Primenall 09-02-2007 10:04 PM

What the csr told you was correct, I don't know what happened but if you have the correct MSL then it should have worked try again, if you have a different dialpad than the original that may be blocking the code from working right, if that's the case you can uninstall it and codes will work again.

When your number is released you need 3 numbers to reprogram your phone

1. Your MSL a 6 digit number that unlocks your phone, save it for future hacking purpose too.
2. Your port number (phone number) is the MDN
3. Your MSID, it's a phone number of Sprint's system assosciated with your temp/port numbers. It is related to the CSA customer service area, if they give you a phone number that's in a different CSA (customer service area) then they give you a different MSID number. Leave it alone for now. When they issue your temp number they try to match the temp number CSA to your port number's CSA.

If you want to program your phone
1. Enter (with # symbols) ## MSL # and click edit
2. Enter Port number in the right place MDN
3. Your MSID number should be the same with your temp and and port number (if not you will enter the new MSID) and your done.

On the menu using the ##MSL# it only brings up those 2 fields, and shows nothing else.

ScandaLex 09-02-2007 10:33 PM

I've never had a number ported, but the telephone number programmed in your phone and the MSID should be two different numbers.

The 6 digit # that the CSR gave you was probably your MSL. For future reference, write your MSL & MSID number down somewhere and store it in a safe location. You never know when you may need it again.

Gilliland 09-02-2007 10:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Primenall. I've changed the Mobile Directory Number to my new (ported) number, and left all the others alone. The phone seems to be working correctly. Then again, it was working correctly even before I changed that entry, so I'm not sure it's all that important in the first place.

What impact should it have had when the MDN was set to the incorrect number?

Primenall 09-02-2007 10:50 PM

Well the MDN is your phone number, your phone shouldn't work if you change it to something else, both your temp number and port number were tied to your account ESN and authorized for service at the same time. If you entered another number it shouldn't work.

Primenall 09-02-2007 10:58 PM

I just wanted to add, as an interesting note, you can change it back to your previous number and it will probably work.

When I ported mine, my old one was still working days later.

Gilliland 09-03-2007 08:13 AM

OK, thanks for all the consultation. The interesting thing is that even with the old temp number in the phone, it worked properly after the network had successfully ported my real number. If I made a call, it showed up at the other end with my ported number. And if someone called my ported number, the phone rang and answered correctly. As far as I could tell, both incoming and outgoing calls were handled correctly - even though the "wrong" number was in the MDN inside the phone itself.

Perhaps that is just a short term situation.

I'm not sure why the phone doesn't respond to ##MSL#, but that sequence is ignored on my phone. However, ##778# works, and the MSL works to authorize access into that menu. And since the MDN (and much, much more) can be edited in that dialog, I guess it doesn't matter much. (Is there an alphabetic "mnemonic" that goes along with that 778?)

In any event, I now have the right number in the phone, and the port has been completed, so everything is as it should be. Thanks again!