PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   cloning my phone??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7845)

kidkazi 09-01-2007 07:51 PM

cloning my phone???

i really hate to take my mogul hiking and other places that i might lose or damage it. is there a way to have my service go to another sprint phone just like how other services can with just taking out the sim card and puting it in another phone. my friend said it's something called cloning but i can seem to find any instructions how to do it.

shellguy 09-01-2007 09:16 PM

Well i dont know about with sprint svc but with alltel you can add and remove phones from your acct at any time, walk in to the store with a new phone and say i need to remove this one and add this one, and in a few min ur done..

Will

willysp 09-01-2007 09:42 PM

From their "Buzz About Wireless" site, Sprint's VP of Customer Experience (that's a hilarioustitle for Sprint, isn't it!?), says they're working on an online way to quickly swap between a 'during the week' phone and a 'weekend' phone. No details or dates provided, of course....which probably means a neat idea they'll never implement. Or if they do, they'll want extra $$$ for it.

guitardoc64 09-01-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidkazi (Post 81117)
i really hate to take my mogul hiking and other places that i might lose or damage it. is there a way to have my service go to another sprint phone just like how other services can with just taking out the sim card and puting it in another phone. my friend said it's something called cloning but i can seem to find any instructions how to do it.

The easiest way I've found is just doing an ESN swap. Not as easy as the sim card, but it does work. You'll need another Sprint Phone to swap to though. I have 2 lines and have swapped my 6700 and Sammy 920 before, takes about 20-30 minutes(depending on wait time). Be SURE to tell them to put a note on your acct about the temporary switch, to prevent screwing up your upgrade timeline. There is also a method of "cloning" your ESN, however, it is illegal, and I can't recommend it in good concience.

It's also a good Idea to write down the lock code (MSL) when you do the swap for future reference.

willysp 09-01-2007 10:13 PM

Calling Sprint to do an ESN swap guarantees that, sooner not later, they will screw something up on your account. I called to do an ESN swap a month ago - when I got my next bill, they had added a $150 cancellation charge to my account. (Quickly removed when I complained, but screwed up all the same.)

aughsum 09-02-2007 10:32 AM

any good resources for the "illegal" method of this cloning? im not going to hold my breath for the online ESN swap to be put in place and Ive never been on hold for tech support for less than two hours so I wont be going that route either... but it really would be nice to slip a krzr or something into my pocket and go to the bar.

shellguy 09-02-2007 10:54 AM

I know with alltel you can go in to a corp store and do this as well, have bought phones from ebay and had them swaped to the acct, not sure if this is also correct with sprint.

Will

luv2chill 09-02-2007 11:58 AM

Mogul can't be cloned to another phone because as of yet its nvm file system cannot be read, much less changed.

Your only hope would be to find another type of phone that would allow its ESN to be changed to the one in the mogul. I don't believe any of the moto phones can though. Primarily old Sanyos and the Samsung a900.