PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint hoes

Massdes07 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Disabling Activesync on the 6800?

i wanna know if there is a way to temporarily disable activesync on the 6800 because when i go to the memory manager, it shows that activesync is on when i never synced it with my pc. it seems that activesync just starts when it wants too and it seems to be draining my battery 2. any reg hacks?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kasracer is a n00b
That's odd. I've never had active sync show up in my running applications unless I either did a sync and didn't close it, or manually opened it myself.

Not sure if there is a way to 'disable" it
Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH
Carrier: Sprint

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
Re: Disabling Activesync on the 6800?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massdes07
i wanna know if there is a way to temporarily disable activesync on the 6800 because when i go to the memory manager, it shows that activesync is on when i never synced it with my pc. it seems that activesync just starts when it wants too and it seems to be draining my battery 2. any reg hacks?
I feel your pain. The same happens to me too. AS seems to open whenever it wants too, and it does so several times a day.

I would understand this happening if I were hooked to my computer and syncing, but this will occur when walking around the mall or just being at work where NO syncing is taking place.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Activesync needs to run for direct push email take a look at your settings that is the most likely cause. Although push email is great and i'm not sure what amount of battery drain you are talking about, but for me it's not so bad.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

kronium is a n00b
So if you don't use push, how do you turn it off?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

quazimodem is keeping up the good workquazimodem is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronium
So if you don't use push, how do you turn it off?
You can disable it from your Comm Manager.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I can assure you, I'm EXTREMELY certain that Activesync is NOT draining your battery!

It is a necessary part of the OS, and it is always running.
What you are closing is the GUI interface which is triggered every now and then to open for system events such as scheduled email retreival.
You can force the GUI to close, but activesync is always running. Its part of WM, so just deal with it!

Besides, it isn't doing anything, so just taking up memory doesn't drain your battery. Active programs only drain battery when they require some sort of processing. AS sits dormant most of the time waiting for an event to trigger it to life. And when that trigger happens, the GUI will open. Otherwise, it will just sit. This does not use any measurable amount of battery power.

Have battery problems? Check the threads here for possible solutions... I'm 99% sure that Activesync is NOT your problem!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
i mostly agree with everything dishe said, but ill add:

search on a ppc app called speedboster and download the trial. set activesync to idle or above idle priority. this doesnt disable it, but stops it from eating your cpu when it syncs - ever notice how it takes forever to navigate menus or open apps when you first plug into the pc and activesync syncs? this stopped that for me.

phoneAlarm is the only way I know of to set or disable the activesync auto-connect schedule. activesync may still try to initiate a sync on your phone after a change, but it will sit at 'waiting for network' until you connect. it can also enable or disable push email.

these dont directly answer your question but like dishe said you cant just disable AS. using these 2 things though I am now satisfied with AS performance/drain on my ppc. and i will mention that i have seen NO change in battery life before or after these changes to AS.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 AM
N00b

NewYorkChic is a n00b
mines do the same thing as well

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan