PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Sprint

nvdeb is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile You guys are awesome, been reading for days have a ?

Okay, first off all the work you folks do is amazing! I can't tell you how great it is that you do this stuff. I have been reading for days as I really want to try this upgrading thing. I am a computer geek for sure. Love taking them apart and learning all the inner workings. Running Linux etc etc. But I digress. Anyway I get why you do this and how fun it is. So, I have just a few concerns before I attempt this. Thank you for taking the time to help me and read through this...... I got my Titan off ebay just a few weeks ago. The seller said it was a refurbished unit that he had just gotten recently. So I can see on ym phone that I have 3.56.651.0 with the radio 3.42.02. This statement scares me ( Attempting to downgrade after GPS (3.xx) upgrade can cause bricking of devices.) the reason I was concerned is what if this happens ( In some cases a custom dialer will keep you from performing
the following steps. To resolve this, you must do a hard reset.) Logic tells me if I do a hard reset cuz of some possible custom dialer issue, wouldn't a hard reset put me back at PRE GPS thus causing me to brick the phone? I have tried reading all I can and to try to think of any issues that could happen and read possible solutions before I try this. The other thing I was a bit shaky on is ( You MUST manually disable USB connections in Activesync (wmdc) Is there anything I need to close via the task manager? Last thing ( yah right ) is .....Before flashing a custom ROM to your device- CHECK bootloader to be sure it worked correctly. I can't seem to find how to check this. I probably came across it somewhere but things are starting to run together at this point (lol) So I have the basic steps figured out ( hopefully ) I figure if any of you think I might have an issue with the things I posted above and if not. I'm gonna take a deep breath and just go for it. Worse case I have an old Moto Q .....I know if I manage this sucessfully I am gonna be addicted to it....LOL Oh I thought this ROM here would be okay for my first try Mattsm Version B Sprint 23007 Yes, I am on Sprint. Thanks again guys

Deb
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: You guys are awesome, been reading for days have a ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeb View Post
Okay, first off all the work you folks do is amazing! I can't tell you how great it is that you do this stuff. I have been reading for days as I really want to try this upgrading thing. I am a computer geek for sure. Love taking them apart and learning all the inner workings. Running Linux etc etc. But I digress. Anyway I get why you do this and how fun it is. So, I have just a few concerns before I attempt this. Thank you for taking the time to help me and read through this...... I got my Titan off ebay just a few weeks ago. The seller said it was a refurbished unit that he had just gotten recently. So I can see on ym phone that I have 3.56.651.0 with the radio 3.42.02. This statement scares me ( Attempting to downgrade after GPS (3.xx) upgrade can cause bricking of devices.) the reason I was concerned is what if this happens ( In some cases a custom dialer will keep you from performing
the following steps. To resolve this, you must do a hard reset.) Logic tells me if I do a hard reset cuz of some possible custom dialer issue, wouldn't a hard reset put me back at PRE GPS thus causing me to brick the phone? I have tried reading all I can and to try to think of any issues that could happen and read possible solutions before I try this. The other thing I was a bit shaky on is ( You MUST manually disable USB connections in Activesync (wmdc) Is there anything I need to close via the task manager? Last thing ( yah right ) is .....Before flashing a custom ROM to your device- CHECK bootloader to be sure it worked correctly. I can't seem to find how to check this. I probably came across it somewhere but things are starting to run together at this point (lol) So I have the basic steps figured out ( hopefully ) I figure if any of you think I might have an issue with the things I posted above and if not. I'm gonna take a deep breath and just go for it. Worse case I have an old Moto Q .....I know if I manage this sucessfully I am gonna be addicted to it....LOL Oh I thought this ROM here would be okay for my first try Mattsm Version B Sprint 23007 Yes, I am on Sprint. Thanks again guys

Deb
OK, let me help where I can.
First thing is about a hard reset. A hard reset will take you back to the state your phone was in just after your last flash. It will NOT change your bootloader, radio or ROM. It just resets them to the point the chefs built them. So don't worry about that.
Second, custom dialers. Be careful with these. They can work great, or put you in a little bit of trouble. Make sure that they are built for CDMA and not GSM. A GSM dialer will prevent you from accessing things such as EPST. More importantly, a GSM dialer will prevent you from dialing 911 or other emergency numbers. Custom dialers also eat some RAM, which is a valuable commodity on our Titans. I personally stick with stock. If you choose a custom, make sure all necessary functions are in working orders.
Third, flashing via Activesync. I can't really help you here. I don't recall ever disabling USB, but I can't be positive. I would recommend flashing via an SD card. It's easier and more fool-proof.
Fourth, checking bootloader. To check your Bootloader, hold the power and camera buttons, and press the reset button under the phone. It'll display the info on the tri-color screen that appears. Push reset again to exit bootloader.
Fifth, Matt makes excellent ROMs.
Sixth, just make sure you follow the guides. Thousands and thousands of people have had success by following it step-by-step. Don't take shortcuts. If you do run into an error, post as much info as you can - what steps went wrong, what bootloader you have loaded, radio version, etc. People will be here to help.

Good luck!
Ivan
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

WOW , I barely had time to have a smoke and get a cup of coffee. Thanks so much for all the info. I will read a little more on the custom dialer thing and then I am gonna just do it. I cant find my SD card adapter but I will look a bit more for it as I do see that is a easier and better way. I will let you know how it goes.

Deb
Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
WOW , I barely had time to have a smoke and get a cup of coffee. Thanks so much for all the info. I will read a little more on the custom dialer thing and then I am gonna just do it. I cant find my SD card adapter but I will look a bit more for it as I do see that is a easier and better way. I will let you know how it goes.

Deb
have u made an intro in the introductions thread???
also, congrats on ur 1st post=D>
Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:

Deb
If you don't have the SD adapter, you can just use a USB cable. Your computer should be able to access the phone and sd card almost as if it were a mapped drive.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
have u made an intro in the introductions thread???
also, congrats on ur 1st post=D>
Not yet, but I will in a bit, thanks so much for the warm welcome.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Evo and Evo3d

mattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Looking at what you have, it sounds like everything is stock.
So the first thing to do will be to unlock your phone with a good bootloader.
You can check your bootloader version by doing a (power, camera, and reset at same time) to confirm.

Here they are.
http://dcd1182.n715dp.com/index.php?dir=titan%2Fspl%2F

Only one of them is needed. I personally used the 2.40 Olipro

Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Titan Forum.

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan