PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Boost

aean is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Mogul to Cricket

Ok, so today, I went into Cricket with my newly unlocked ppc6800. The clerk behind the counter punches in my ESN number and she informs me that my phone won't work on their network unless it's a tri-band model. I tell her about how I just learnt to flash my phone and she shrugs her shoulders and advises me to have someone do it for me. I'm like 'The whole purpose of my flashing it myself is to avoid paying someone to do it for me.' Again, she shrugs her shoulders. Sorry.

Can anyone shine some light on this? I know of several posts where some were able to use their ppc6800 on Cricket. I have a ROM I cooked using the PPCKitchen. I chose Cricket as my carrier.

Do I have to physically install a Cricket ROM as a base or something?

Also, she seemed very intent on punching in my ESN number. I asked her if I changed it, would it take in the system, but she didn't seem to fully understand what I was getting at. In my quest for knowledge, I've learnt how to "reprogramme" my ppc6800. I just changed the phone number for kicks. I found this article: http://www.justcellularstore.com/hel...ctivation.html. I've yet to give a try. (Phone issues)

Would changing the ESN work? I somehow doubt this being that no one has mentioned changing the ESN number for any reason.

I'm to sort of person who will read all sorts of tutes on a subject before getting my hands dirty. And usually, when I'm done, something never goes quite as planned. Usually because I've missed something. I followed GaMedics tute to the letter and everything worked out just fine.

Still, I'm very new to phone flashing and am still learning the ins and outs. If anyone could give me some advice, I'd be so grateful.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching for answers. Just thought I'd put the question out there.

Last edited by aean; 07-14-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:15 AM
cagrant

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Mogul to Cricket

im assuming your in las vegas because their one of the few places that have triband. metropcs is also triband in las vegas. from how i understand it, triband is like gsm or cdma your phone either made that way or its not. example is you cant take a att phone over to sprint and expect them to activate it its a totally different way it picks up signal and transmits to the towers. i could be misunderstanding it, but i doubt it.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aean is a n00b

No, I'm in Baltimore. And Cricket is a new kid on the block round here. I just find it interesting how others were able to get Cricket service on their Spring Mogul while I'm still struggling with it. Most tutes I've read make it seem pretty simple, that the most hastle is not getting all of the features to work. I just want to be able to talk and maybe use my phone as a modem a bit.

I've had a falling out with Sprint and I'm not going back to them. I hate to think I have this fancy, high-priced phone just sitting round the house collecting dust. I surely don't want to sell it and I'd only get a fraction of what I paid for it. Plus, I like this little bugger.

I tried Googling for Cricket ROMs and was plagued by broken or obscure links.

It's looking like I'll just have to spring for a Cricket phone.

I've yet to try the steps listed in my earlier post, since, I'm basically phone-less right now. I guess I'll take it to a friend's house or something and give it a shot. But, for that I'd need to have service, right?

I don't know. I'll give it another couple of days of research before I buy a cheesy phone I really don't need.

Thanks for your reply. Truthfully, I thought most phones these days were indeed tri-band. I figured a smartphone would be. Oh well, live an learn.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aean is a n00b

Just learnt that changing an ESN number is actually cloning, which is illegal. I wonder if I can make one up and would it still be illegal. Probably. Anyway, no one mentioned changing the ESN, so I'm crossing it off my list of things to try.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MOGUL, TP1, TP2, EVO, EPIC 4g
Carrier: Sprint

nadcicle20 is just getting started

I don't really see much here as far as cricket flashing goes. If it would be alright with everyone I would more or less direct you over to Howard forums where they do ALOT of cricket flashing. I actually flashed my old mogul to cricket from there. AND no do not esn clone your mogul lol
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aean is a n00b

Yeah, I noticed Howard Forums have a lot of Cricket entries. I read some threads that just basically said one would have to try different stores to see which one will do it.

On that note, I just read on the Cricket website that a non-tri band phone will indeed work on the network. In fact, Cricket sells such phones. Which leads me to believe the the clerk I spoke to probably didn't really know what she was talking about. Looks like I'll be doing some store hopping.

Regarding flashing, I just thought it was a matter of selecting Cricket as your provider and bingo! You're done. Flashing seems pretty easy enough and I really enjoyed doing it.

As an added note, I noticed my NAM Name is SPCS. Anyone willing to comment on that?

Anyway, on to more research.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc 6800
Carrier: cricket fully flashed

a-1tonecity is a n00b

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HAVING SOME FUN LOL JK..OK YOUR NAM NAME REALY DOSNT MATTER U CAN CHANGE IT TO WHAT EVER U WANT..AND YA SOUND LIKE WHERE EVER U WENT TO GET IT ACTIVATED DIDNT KNOW NUTHIN..I HAVE A CELL SHOP HERE IN SAN ANTONIO T.X AND WE ARE DOIN REALLY GOOD NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS GETTING THEM ACTIVATED.THE ONLY PROBLEM WE HAVE IS WHEN THEY TAKE THE PHONE TO GET ACTIVATED THEY TRY TO SAY IT WASNT FLASHED RITE AND MAKE THEM PAY AGAIN FOR FLASHING(CRAZY)..SO U ALREADY ADDED THE CRICKET PRL..AND ON THE CRICKET ROM DO A GOOGLE ON (RYAN MOGUL CRICKET ROM)AND DOWNLOAD THE HEAVY VERSION..THATS WHAT I USE ON ALL MY FLASHED 6800'S..BUT MAKE SURE UR PHONE IS UNLOCKED FIRST AND THE UPDATE TO WINDOWS 6.1 THEN FLASH THE CRICKET ROM..THERE IS A LONG PROSSES TO GET EVERYTHING WORKING BUT IF U KNOW WUT UR DOIN YOU CAN GO WITH THE FLOW AND GET IT DONE RITE..IF U HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS JUST HIT ME UP..
Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
cagrant

your still missing the point.nothing you can do to ever make your cdma phone tri-band.theirs not a radio flash or a rom flash to make that so. that phone will not work on tri-band.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aean is a n00b

Yeah, I'm having a ball. Part of it is just learning something new. Just got the Ryan Cricket ROM. I'm flash it when I get a chance.

In guessing the Window 6.1 update can be done in ppckitchen. I do remember selecting that option. It 6.5 any better. Just curious.

The ol' bait and switch routine regarding not flashing right sucks. I'd think I'd completely lose my mind if Cricket told me something like that. I know they want 15 bucks to do the switch. That's fine. Just don't yank my chain, you know?

Regarding tri-band, yay I had to do a little homework on it. My phone is a dual band. But, still a whole slew of people have successfully done the switch to Cricket, so I'm like, why can't I. I'll have to do some day trips to various locations and see what comes up.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM
cagrant

the others that have successfully flashed their mogul to cricket are not in a tri-band market. theirs not alot of markets that metro and cricket are tri-band ,your unfortunately in one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan