PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

duffman33 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mogul unusable

I have had my Mogul for almost 2 years now and other than the occasional Winmo hiccup, has been relatively stable. Unfortunately, at some point last night for some reason, the hardware buttons stopped responding. This was weird but not that unusual since in the past month the touch screen stops working and forces a soft reset to start up again every once in a while. Anyway, I soft resetted the device this morning and it loaded to a gray screen that asked if I wanted to restore the mogul to manufacture defaults. It says to push x for no and r for yes. Well, I pushed x many times and it leaves the screen, only to come right back every time. Finally, after trying to soft reset again several times, I pushed r.

It reset the whole device, but came right back to the gray screen. I then took out the battery and left it for about 30 minutes. When I put the battery back in, it booted up like normal, but then went through the opening stuff when you first turn on your phone. When I was done, it began installing stuff. Upon finishing, it went immediately back to the grey screen with the same exact symptoms as before. Frustrated, I then took the battery out again and left it for several hours.

I have been searching both ppcgeeks as well as google for anyone who has had similar problems and, having been unsuccessful, have finally decided to make my own thread to look for advice. Yes, I know I am now eligible for an account upgrade with sprint, and since I have been trying to decide about whether or not to get the pre, seems like an appropriate time to do so. However, I just graduated college and as I'm sure many of you will remember, I am flat broke and have not gotten a new job yet. Therefore, if I have to, I will purchase a new phone, but I would really appreciate any help here at all.

I have even considered flashing a new rom from here to try and get rid of this problem, but not knowing whether its software or hardware, and not having done it before, wanted to get all of your knowledgeable opinions first. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long ramble.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Mogul unusable

If you have insurance do a swap for a new phone since that one is broken with hardware issue. Sprint advanced exchange might even give you a TP.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

Is there a specific reason you think its broken? I'm pretty sure I don't have insurance...

EDIT: I did put the battery back into the phone a little bit ago and it started right up and seems to be working now, albeit with a completely wiped memory...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

christak is becoming a great contributor

Wiped memory? That shouldn't have happened without a hard reset...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The grey screen where you can push R is the hard reset screen. If that happens again, re-flash the stock ROM (or whichever custom ROM is on your phone).
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

I know it is... I thought I said in my first post I pressed r after pushing x would not do anything at all... Anyway, I never did anything to get to that screen and it would not let me leave it before, and I have never used a custom rom or anything, so my basic question was why would this happen? Will it/could it happen again? I just don't want to resync everything and set everything up all over to have it reset, maybe for good this time. It still seems to be working for now though...
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post
I know it is... I thought I said in my first post I pressed r after pushing x would not do anything at all... Anyway, I never did anything to get to that screen and it would not let me leave it before, and I have never used a custom rom or anything, so my basic question was why would this happen? Will it/could it happen again? I just don't want to resync everything and set everything up all over to have it reset, maybe for good this time. It still seems to be working for now though...
Sorry, I was responding to the post above mine.

Anyway, I don't think there is any way to know whether it will happen again or not. It was most likely a badly corrupted system file, but usually that'll put you in the tri-colored bootloader screen and not the hard reset screen. I would recommend downloading and flashing your carriers latest stock ROM. It'll start you over from scratch again, but it'll give you a completely fresh set of files.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

So thanks for all the help, but I took the plunge and flashed a new custom rom to try and smooth things over. It seems to be working decently, albeit a little sluggish at the moment. One thing I've noticed and was wondering on all your opinions, is the LED lights. Normally, mine are always flashing, blue for bluetooth, green for standby, orange for notification, etc. I know that it is impossible to stop them without removing the vibration too, since I have checked that in the past. So the fact that I have not seen the LEDs flash once since the problems started leads me to believe they burnt out or something, cause overheating and/or other system problems, which is why it seems to be working now that is has cooled down and been reset. Any thoughts? I honestly have no problems whatsoever with this seeing as how I always thought the lights were annoying. The only time I'd probably even slightly miss it is not being able to just glance at the light to see if I have a new notification or not. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know the progress and get your opinions. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post
So thanks for all the help, but I took the plunge and flashed a new custom rom to try and smooth things over. It seems to be working decently, albeit a little sluggish at the moment. One thing I've noticed and was wondering on all your opinions, is the LED lights. Normally, mine are always flashing, blue for bluetooth, green for standby, orange for notification, etc. I know that it is impossible to stop them without removing the vibration too, since I have checked that in the past. So the fact that I have not seen the LEDs flash once since the problems started leads me to believe they burnt out or something, cause overheating and/or other system problems, which is why it seems to be working now that is has cooled down and been reset. Any thoughts? I honestly have no problems whatsoever with this seeing as how I always thought the lights were annoying. The only time I'd probably even slightly miss it is not being able to just glance at the light to see if I have a new notification or not. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know the progress and get your opinions. Thanks!
I have absolutely no idea what you just said here. The one thing I can tell you is that it is certainly possible to enable/disable various LEDs. Do a search for nueLED (or look for it in a custom ROM under Start -> nueTools if your chef included it).
Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

I was just speculating on what caused my mogul to act up, since the leds are no longer working after the problems. But, I also don't have a program to make them flash on command so I don't know. I also checked before when I first got the phone, and used nueLED. However, it was said many times that you could not stop the leds from flashing at all without also disabling the vibration. Thats what I was commenting on.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan