PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

BigRedGonzo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Effect of a ROM on a Battery

Is it possible for a ROM change to affect battery life?

I have been using JMartin72's WM6.5 ROMs, which are great BTW and thanks to JMartin72 for all of his work. They are all pretty much identical in content. I back up my stuff with spb Back-Up and do the ROM upgrade and then restore using the ROM Upgrade function. Since the last upgrade to 21301, I have noticed that my phone will be warm sometimes and the battery which will usually last a day and a half or so between charges will drain to nothing over the span of just a few hours. Can the ROM, having the same content as the last version, actually cause a battery drain?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: The Effect of a ROM on a Battery

Yes it can. But I think you should hard reset but not install your backup. Try to reinstall all the info and see if it is still there. More than likely you have a program running to much probably.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That is exactly what I am doing right now. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood

Minor tweaks can also offer a major difference in battery life consumption. Even if it is a slight tweak to something that involves RAM usage for an app or processing power, it can suck away a TINY BIT or a lot of power, depending on the tweak, also i think drew is probably right, it might just be an app that is not seen in the regular task manager that is forcing the processor to run more than usual. And unless you are the one who created the ROM yourself, dont count on the two version of the rom to be similar, even the slightest change can have a huge impact...
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the help. I opted to go back to the Stock Alltel 6.1 ROM without customizations. I flashed a different WM6.5 ROM (not JMartin72's) and let it run for a few hours and didn't see any negative battery affects. I then reflashed the latest JMartin72 WM6.5 (build 213001) and didn't notice any negative battery affects. Then I started reinstalling stuff. At this point, I stepped back and looked at my usage. I really didn't have any need for WM6.5, I like it and it looks nice and works well, but I am addicted to Mobile Shell 3 so it really doesn't matter what ROM is running in the background. I dug up the latest Alltel Stock WM6.1 ROM and reflashed to it. I really can't detect any speed differences between it and WM6.5 and the memory is a bit lower, but I still go most of the day with 15-16MB free. With WM6.5, I was running between 18 and 20MB free. Anyway, the 6.5 itch is still there, but the flash/reflash/upgrade thing is consuming me so I'll run stock for a while until I can't stand it any more.

Thanks for all the information.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan