PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC S720(NFG), HTC Titan (RIP), Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Soundy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Soundy Send a message via AIM to Soundy Send a message via MSN to Soundy Send a message via Yahoo to Soundy Send a message via Skype™ to Soundy
Replacement for HTC Titan (Telus P4000)?

Well, my Titan (Telus P4000) went for a swim last night and is now dead. Telus no longer carries this model, but is offering me a $300 credit toward a new phone. I've been fairly happy with my P4000, so I wouldn't mind a similar replacement... but the only HTC models they carry now are the Touch, Touch Diamond, and Touch Pro. Of those, only the Pro has the slide-out QWERTY keyboard, but it lists for $650 ($350 after my credit). The Diamond lists at $299 (free with my credit), and the original Touch at $399.

So here's my question to the group: any thoughts on these other phones and whether I'll find them a "suitable" replacement? I can look at the specs, but those won't tell me how well any of them are going to compare functionally with the Titan (like, if they have sh*tty graphics acceleration, lousy bluetooth support, or no internal GPS). The hardware keyboard would be ideal, but I can survive without it if necessary.

The only other two features I'm concerned about are the "real" GPS, and a spot for my 8GB SD card (according to Telus, the Diamond doesn't have a card slot, but does have 4GB of onboard memory). And of course, the ability to upgrade the ROM with something like dcd's fantastic Titan ROMs is highly desirable - is there lots of development being done for these other three phones?

TIA for any and all input.

Oh yeah, they have the Samsung "Omnia" as well, looks pretty nice - really big screen, really thin. No hard keyboard tho. That'll run me about $200 after my credit.

Last edited by Soundy; 07-06-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPRO2
Carrier: Sprint

Quirk is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Quirk
Re: Replacement for HTC Titan (Telus P4000)?

it looks like the keyboard is the feature you're looking for the most, so you're probably going to want the TP.

There is a bunch of ROM cooking going on for the Touch Pro. You will have no problem finding a good ROM that fits your needs.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan