PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the probability of ROM improvement for the Titan?

I like my Titan and its potential, but it's got lots of room for improvement. Low avail RAM, POS BT audio, erratic battery life.

My biggest concern about it at this point, from what little I've read, is that HTC may have locked it down tightly enough that ROM and Kitchen development may not be possible.

I could understand that if HTC was active in listening to users and improving their devices. But, they basically launched and then ignored the 6700. What saved the 6700 was user ROM development. If they ignore the Titan, and don't allow users to fix it, I'll probably wish I'd not bought it.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada
Threadstarter

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
From the WM Blog, a definition:

Bootloader Locked

In many cases, Windows Mobile devices can only be reflashed by the OEM or operator. The "bootloader lock" typically refers to this state. The bootloader is the very first part of the phone that starts up, and it usually has the capability to enter a reflash mode or various other debug or diagnostic modes.

Does this fit the Titan?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6950 -Diamond-
Carrier: Sprint

storino03 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to storino03
Yep, It's really only a matter of time and patience for everything to be worked out on the Mogul.

--James
Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

knives of ice is just getting started
time for HTC to fix the problems or for people to start releasing their own roms to fix the problems themselves?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Shaska is just getting started
Remember, They tried to Bootloader lock the 6700 with the new roms from Bell Mobility, and it took a few days to get around it... Granted, From what users have been reporting its a LOT harder to crack the mogul, But its doable, If HTC can make a load and new rom on it, Its only a matter of time before other users find a way...
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work
HTC already released one ROM update so we know that it's possible for an end-user to reflash the Mogul's ROM. I'm sure that the xda community will figure it out eventually. Hopefully by that time there will be plenty of other WM6 devices in the field that we can Frankenstein working parts of their ROMs from like the BT stack, video drivers, etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch, htc mogul
Carrier: cricket

wessfoxx is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to wessfoxx
I hope the day comes soon because i have my mogul working on the cricket network. I did a soft boot befor the sprint crap was loaded so it looks plane. the problome is with wap. i think that the sprint provisioning
is stopping the connection. any help would be cool.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Nothing against this topic, but this looks as good a place as any for me to voice my opinion about mogul kitchen development in general. It seems there are a lot of threads asking things like "when will we get a new kitchen?" but not nearly enough threads that say things like "I got one step closer to making a kitchen" I've been looking at the device at a fairly detailed low level for a while now and you may have seen my posts about the bootloader dumps from the wm5 version. No we aren't building ROMs yet, but it would be nice to see more people willing to learn what an SPL is and trying to help out. I know that looking at hex code isn't for everyone, but this forum was named PPCGeeks for a reason =)

Maybe i'm wrong though. I'm curious to know how many people are interested in spending time working on this. Maybe if there is enough interest we can convert the unified rom kitchen development section into a mogul rom kitchen development section. They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing though.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

cohowap is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcohowap is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcohowap is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcohowap is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Agree with ImCoKeMaN, if you want a kitchen, go out an learn what needs to get done.

Few ideas tools to get started, www.sysinternals.com's ProcMon (help you get the .nbh from the MSI), xda-developer's has a Mogul kit that has all the tools u need to extract and remake the NBH.

Also, HexCmp to compare 2 image files to see what bytes need to change.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: spcs

xtreme571 is a n00b
i agree with you as well ImCoKeMaN...actually im not experienced in this kitchen/programming at all...but im willing to do some stuff as long as the directions arent too hard

i hadnt known if there had been a kit released for mogul...but now that i know, im gonna try finding it and fiddling with it and my new 6800

and im not afraid to brick my phone either...ill just buy another one

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan