PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Cellcom

infinitus is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bad luck with an HTC 6800

Okay, so first I'd like to thank everyone here for all the advice I've already read in the past few weeks. You've gotten me closer to fixing my phone than I ever could have on my own; that's why I became a member tonight.

Next, my phone details. I have the HTC ppc-6800 through a provider named Cellcom out of Wisconsin. They use a CDMA network.

Last December I was feeling rich, my 3 year old razr was malfunctioning and I decided it was time for a ppc. I've always been a huge Moto fan, so it was an obvious choice to go with the Q. Well, my cellcom rep persuaded me to wait on the Q. He told me that the Q9c was due in January and it was worth my wait. So I asked him what he had as far as used went. He came out of the back with a 6800 and I was in love.

Cut to around February. The phone starts to lock up in sleep mode. I turn the screen on and I'm suddenly receiving hour old phone calls. That lasted about two weeks. I hard reset it. Stopped using all apps. No change. So I went for Windows Update. Nothing. Then it started to randomly reset. During phone calls. In sleep mode. There was nothing I could pinpoint that would be causing the restarts. I never flashed it. Never dropped. It never got any water damage. Then it got worse. It's now in a restart loop. It makes it to the HTC screen and then restarts again. Sometimes it doesn't even show that. It just restarts on a blank screen.

So I bought a different phone for the time being. And went to work on the 6800. My first thought was hardware issues. So I took it all apart. Checked all connections. Cleaned all the boards with isopropyl. Put it all back together. Same deal. So I started thinking battery. It runs 3.7v charged. And if you hard reset it / go to bootloader it will stay on indefinitely. So then I started thinking about software issues. Maybe a virus? Bad Rom? Something...

So I started trying to update the ROM. Problem is, I can't find a ROM compatible with my vendor on the htc.com/us site. I tried a Psyki3 ROM and got a communication error. I decided to try one last ROM. It was from htc. A qwest mobile update. The update failed but something interesting happened. Suddenly I booted into windows mobile. I aligned the stylus... started the tutorial... and it reset and wouldn't go back in.

More phone info: (I don't know what's important so I'm including everything I can)
Info from the boot screen:
M09 B03 P ACAAAAM-4070 R 1.64 D 2.17

Info from the bootloader:
TITA100 SPL-1.07.0000 CPLD-9

Sorry about the length. I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. It seems to be a semi-unique problem and others who seem to have a similar problem never get answers on other forums. Any advice is appreciated.

~iNFiNiTUS
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

infinitus is a n00b
Re: Bad luck with an HTC 6800

***Update!

I got the ROM updated with some quick clicking and some... shall I say, "gravity inspired" techniques. Flashed to Altell. Ran great. The new ROM did it's tweaking (Don't care about custom settings at the moment... just want this thing to work). Restarted. Working great. Hit the comm manager button... restarted. Steady green light with no screen. No button backlights... and I'm currently in bootload status so I know it's working. Going to try a different ROM.

~iNFiNiTUS

***btw - 25+ views and no replies? Thanks sooo much for the helpful advice!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

BigRedGonzo is becoming a great contributor

I am certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here's my 2 cents worth anyway.

There are several people on here that "Cook" ROMs. Get someone to cook a completely clean ROM. Just WinMo and a dialer. Flash that and see if it works. One thing I did notice about your post, you didn't mention installing a Carrier CAB after flashing to the Alltel ROM. You will need to do that. I searched for a carrier CAB for CellCom and didn't find one, I did however find a thread discussing how to get around it.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42005

Make sure your radio is new, I am with Alltel and my radio version is 3.42. I don't think that the radio is provider specific. I do know that there are newer ones out there.

After getting the clean ROM on the phone, if it works, you can start adding back apps one at a time to see where your problem lies. Hopefully, the issue isn't a hardware problem.

I don't know that it will, but I hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: herman <- titan <- apache
Carrier: cricket

krielys is just getting started

weird phone behaviours can also be result of memory card errors.

i didnt see it mentioned,
but did you reformat the memorycard between rom flashes ?
reformatting the card is not required,
but is a good idea if issues persist after flash.

can also run windows checkdisk from a desktop pc on your memorycard.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

infinitus is a n00b

As far as memory card errors go, I reformat between every attempt with the card; but card flashing has been unsuccessful for me. It just sits on the grey "loading..." screen. I've tried a few diff things... maybe I'm doing something wrong with order here? But anyway... thanks for the thought on the carrier cab... but would that make my phone not start? oh... i just thought of it... I flashed to an alltel deal off the htc website... could it be that i only flashed the rom and.... nevermind... they would have it all in their pack.

I've actually read through that cellcom page a few times... it's how i got around to flashing the first time. But right now it won't let me flash at all. Nothing will go through. I'm going to try it a few more times yet. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

infinitus is a n00b

Wow. Still nothing. Nice to see that all of these mobile Gods have so many suggestions for me!

Anyway...

I'm stuck. When trying to update anything on my phone I either get a connection error or I get a nice 'image file is corrupted' error. I've tried two different empty RUU's and even the stock downloads again. I really don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong. I've tried a bunch of different ROMs and I can't even get a boot screen to know what I have installed. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

~infinitus

****Since no one seems to be able to help me with my large problem... I'm going to figure this out using smaller questions. Delete this thread if you wish!*****

Last edited by infinitus; 07-01-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

infinitus is a n00b

*****This phone is dead!!! Thanks to all who replied. Pretty sure it was a hardware problem. ******

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan