PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

qu1nn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using a GPS with no internet

hello
I have used Amaze and Google Maps.
but as far as I can tell, the internet access required.

Is there a suggested application that I can use where I can buy maps and then I dont have to worry about having Internet access?

I see tons of different apps, what is 'best'?

Regards
qu1nn
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Using a GPS with no internet

Tomtom, Garmin, and iGo are all very popular. You'll find people in each camp who will claim that their choice is the best, but it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

Oh, and I prefer Tomtom. I have one of their actual GPS units and think they ported it well to our phones.

And please note that aGPS will require a small amount of data. Traditional GPS does not.

Last edited by btonetbone; 04-30-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added Tomtom pref and aGPS note
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

kflipproductions is just getting started

im gunna agree that TomTom is the best. i used garmin and iGo pretty extensively, and always ended up going back to TomTom. but you basically cant go wrong with TomTom, Garmin, iGo, iGuidance, or Mobile Navigator

---{ VZW XV6800 }---

--{ Rom: DCD 3.2.5 }--
--{ Radio: 3.42.50 }--
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

qu1nn is a n00b

we are talking software that is installed on the mogul itself right?

qu1nn
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1nn View Post
we are talking software that is installed on the mogul itself right?
qu1nn
Yes. Most of these companies do produce actual GPS receivers, but they also produce their software for Windows Mobile phones.

Also, please note that the maps require significant size. US/Canada maps can take a few gigs of space, so make sure you have adequate room for whichever maps you choose on your SD card.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

The thing is this, if you need internet access for GPS it is because you do not have the maps stored on your device and therefore you need to download them as you go and move. With the software maps (I used to use iGuidance) they are installed on your card so you do not need internet access, only GPS. That way you pull your maps from your card and not over the air (OTA)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

But if you are using agps data is still required. You would need to ue the slower to lock standalone gps to completely eliminate data usage.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell

mcfz is a n00b

I figured once tha maps are loaded the Data Service shouldn't be required.

Hmm, learn something new everyday...lol
Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

qu1nn is a n00b

Got massively sidetracked.
Thank you for the responses.
From what I can tell TomTom 7 doesnt have any american maps, and from what I can tell both TOMTOM and iGO forces you to have a particular SD Card that is sold with the product. Tomtom7 has an option for software only, but it is only for europe.

Too bad that google maps doesnt allow for maps to be downloaded.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1nn View Post
Got massively sidetracked.
Thank you for the responses.
From what I can tell TomTom 7 doesnt have any american maps, and from what I can tell both TOMTOM and iGO forces you to have a particular SD Card that is sold with the product. Tomtom7 has an option for software only, but it is only for europe.

Too bad that google maps doesnt allow for maps to be downloaded.
I use Tomtom 7 with USA/Canada maps. They most certainly do exist, and I am using my personal SD card that has all of my stuff on it. I will send you a PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan