PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I "need" to switch from 6800 to Blackberry. Any ideas? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72533)

elisherer 06-23-2009 07:27 AM

I "need" to switch from 6800 to Blackberry. Any ideas?

Very unhappy... my company upgraded to a new version of MS Exchange Server and now I can't get my (secure) email through my XV6800. I've tried other browsers (Skyfire, Opera Mini and Mobile, Iris, etc.) and none allow me full access to the company Webmail. They had been running an Office Mobile Access (OMA) site, but that was "discontinued" my Microsoft in the new version of Exchange server.

So it looks like I'll have to ditch my WinMo phone (and all the customizations, etc.) and move to Blackberry. Anyone know which I should look to for better functionality and flexibility? I want to be able to check personal email as well as the Outlook tie-in with the company, as well as full browsing, etc.

I know I can post this on the BBry boards, but wanted to start here for your learned experience and help!

thanks

bambamsprint 06-23-2009 08:22 AM

Re: I "need" to switch from 6800 to Blackberry. Any ideas?

whit a touch pro you can instal blacberry service and stay whot a windows device, im not sure if can be done in cdma devices but i have a fuze on t-mobile with BES service

elisherer 06-23-2009 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, the company doesn't want to do Blackberry Services for WinMo. They're being real tight on security issues and don't want more platforms to support than they need to.

I'll probably cross-post my original message on the BBry side as well.

DJx79x 06-23-2009 12:49 PM

since you are already on verizon i would suggest the storm. to me it seems to be the least boring BB but that isnt saying much.

BooDaddy 06-23-2009 08:29 PM

I wouldnt get the Storm! I do remote support for my company and I have to do all the BES activations and setups. When the Storm launched, I bet I had to activate 60 Storms on Launch day..... After about a week, i bet I had to reactivate over 3/4's of those users back to their old Blackberry... LOL
folks hated that Storm. I heard so many complaints from Storm users that it convinced me the Storm was a POS.

blackberries are OK, but they definately arent WinMo devices. And if your company is like ours, our IT policies are monitored even on personal phones that are running BES. So if a person has a personal BB, and they get it on BES, our companies IT policies are forced on the handset... which I think is pure crap.

elisherer 06-24-2009 07:37 AM

Quick note gang... thanks for the hkelp, but I was just informed that if I go to Blackberry I will NOT be able to do everything I can on WinMo. Not the system or applications, but the fact that the company will LOCK DOWN the phone when I get the Blackberry secure Server loaded up.

So I'm back to playing with browsers and trying to mimic a PC when using the mobile. Looks like I'm focused on Opera Mobile for now. Trying out the demo and then perhaps (shock!) paying for an applicaiton if I need to!

mastergadgets 06-24-2009 10:46 AM

My company just switch to the Exchange server and caused me much trouble with trying to access my email, calendar, etc. I was finally able to get it set up but it required a security certificate install.
I believe you will need to get a security certificate from your company to be able to set up your system.
If they are trying to lock out PPCs from accessing the Exchange server, I don't see much hope that you can access it regardless of what mobile platform you are using.
I don't think changing your phone will solve the problem.