PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800, 6900, 6850
Carrier: .

JoeMomma is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Un-doing Your Hard Work

I work for a company that recently got into repairing and refurbishing HTC devices. More and more often our technicians bring me devices with your ROMs installed. This morning I was given a device with a Swedish Chef/PPCGeeks.com boot graphic. Pretty darn cool, we all had a good chuckle. There's another one on my desk I'm quite honestly afraid to look at.

I have a lot of respect for what you guys are doing here but let me tell you it's been a pain in the butt figuring out how to un-do all your hard work. You see, we have to return these things to factory standard and default before we're done...

Unfortunately, from what I've read here and experienced on my own, there are going to be some cases where this is not possible. Regressing GPS enabled software back to non-GPS, for example.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that someone out there appreciates your efforts! Thought you might get a kick out of my predicament...

Later, and keep up the good work.

PS-You'd be surprised the number of half-cracked and screwed up devices we get from people that simply didn't follow the instructions you guys post. N00bs.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Un-doing Your Hard Work

It is very possible to regress back to nongps roms. I do it all the time. But the nongps rom I install is Verizon. If you have the carriers nongps rom then it is easy.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

all that work can be undone with a simple flash of the stock rom... all the gps stuff, reg edits, everything...

its awesome to see a response from a service tech somewhere though...

is that how you found out about pppcgeeks, a splashscreen?? if so, thats awesome...

hope you enjoy everything this place has to offer
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Why must you go to Pre-GPS? Most carriers released stock ROMs that include GPS. But, to answer the question flash a pre-gps ROM is not hard at all.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Welcome here
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800, 6900, 6850
Carrier: .
Threadstarter

JoeMomma is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
It is very possible to regress back to nongps roms. I do it all the time. But the nongps rom I install is Verizon. If you have the carriers nongps rom then it is easy.
Possible, but not reliable. The stock non-GPS ROM is smaller than the GPS ROM, from what I've seen HTC doesn't "erase" memory, they just re-load the ROM on top of what exists. This leaves a chunk of data in memory that the current ROM doesn't understand how to access or use leading to instability.

Cell phone manufacturers typically format memory as part of a firmware update, LG and Moto for example. I don't know if devices designed for Windows Mobile don't do this for a particular reason, I still have a lot to learn.

Think of it as making a mix tape when you were a teenager. You had a crappy old Great White album and recorded Motley Crue and Megadeth and Metallica songs on it after covering up the write protect holes. Unless you used up every little bit of tape at the end of each side there was still a little bit of Great White on there at the end of the other songs, right?

I've had one get squirrelly on me that I couldn't in good concience send to a customer, and a few others that were fine after monitoring for a few days. If I had a better handle on what you guys are doing I may be able come up with a remedy.

Which is why I'm here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie View Post
Why must you go to Pre-GPS? Most carriers released stock ROMs that include GPS. But, to answer the question flash a pre-gps ROM is not hard at all.
Right, but down-reving radio versions and re-locking the SPL is tricky. Unless I'm doing something wrong...

One of the carriers we service didn't implement GPS, and are hung up on us shipping 6.0 on 6800's. I really don't have a good explanation why though, several customers have requested 6.1 and we can't oblige.

Next will be the 6900 and 6850 I'm sure.

If you guys don't mind I may post here from time to time asking for some input until I get this down to a science.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Mr. Chevy

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Flashing erases the entire rom and puts the new one on. There shouldn't be any problems going from 6.1 to 6.0. I do it all the time with no problem.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Mr. Chevy

What are you using as the relocker? I follow the following steps. Relock with ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/Im...n_Relocker.exe. Install stock 6.0 rom which also includes a 6.0 radio.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan