PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Wifi Enabled does not search or list hotspots (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71718)

justindevine 06-15-2009 12:38 PM

Wifi Enabled does not search or list hotspots

So I just got a used XV6800 and was very excited to check out the wifi. I haven't hooked it up through Verizon yet but I wanted to play with the wifi around the house. Here is the issue.

The wifi appears to be enabled. i have a little tower icon, the switch is up however it does not search for or find hotspots, and I can't even make it do so. I have also tried manually entering SSIDs and that has also failed. Also I have this thing sitting on top of a wireless router that is definitely working, but it picks up no hotspots and I know I am in range of at leat 4 of them.

Power mode is all the way up.

I am also somewhat confused as to how the "Wireless LAN" settings and "Wi-Fi" settings differ and/or affect each other.

On to top of this issue I have been searching quite a bit about this and some say you can't use the wifi without a data plan and some say you can. I have searched and found conflicting statements. If this requires a customized ROM I am prepared to do that too and will be off to read all the tutorials. This board seems to be fairly authoratative and I plan to stick around here now instead of googling around.

I am pretty tech savvy (MCSE) but new to the WinMo and PPC world so please let me know if you can help me out. I haven't seen a problem like this on the board, most are connection problems but the device is still searching for hotspots, mine seems to be enabled, but just sits there.

Here is my device info. I beleive this is a stock rom

ROM version: 3.57.605.1
ROM date 07/21/08
Radio Version: 3.37.75

If you need more let me know and I'll pull it.

I really appreciate any help.

-Justin

drewcam888 06-15-2009 12:44 PM

Re: Wifi Enabled does not search or list hotspots

Yes you can use wifi for free. Anyone else that tells you differently is an idiot. But if you open ie after conencting the phone will dial the verizon data connection. So either disable the connection or get a data block.
So if you go to settings connection wifi, do you see any wifi listed. If not you might have a bad phone if wifi is turned on with the switch. I say take it back to Verizon if that is the problem. Wireless lan is the wifi hardware settings and wifi is used to list and connect to the different wifi available.

justindevine 06-15-2009 12:46 PM

Yeah I see no wifi listed. Isn't it supposed to search for hotspots, it doesn't do that either. I was just curious if it was possibly a configuration issue. I got the phone used, so I'm afraid Verizon won't help me.

justindevine 06-15-2009 12:48 PM

oh also what it says is "add new' as if I am supposed to do it manually, which surprised me.

drewcam888 06-15-2009 12:51 PM

If it doesnt find them try a hard reset. If that fails then get a new phone. Do you have TEP? If so they will fix the phone even if you didn't get it from them.

Shoot2ill 06-15-2009 01:12 PM

I have the same issue with my Mogul. I dropped it a few weeks ago and it no longer detects networks. The phone still recognizes the WiFi adapter, and knows when I enable the hardware switch, but that's it. I've tried adding SSID's manually but to no avail. Thinking about using my TEP.

justindevine 06-15-2009 01:20 PM

I have a line item on my bill that says "Extended Warranty" and have been paying $2 a month for it forever is this a TEP or no. if so should I switch my active phone to the Titan/XV6800 before trying to call it in? I was going to do that but had held off.

drewcam888 06-15-2009 02:48 PM

Try and switch your titan to the active line. You might get lucky and it changes the extended warranty to TEP. If not try to call and add it.