PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon (HTC) XV6800
Carrier: verizon

sburke39 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XV6800 Internal GPS - Can't read data

Sorry if this is a "dead topic", but I've been looking for a solution for many days, and have been "pulling out my hair" so often that I'm almost in need of hair transplants.

I need some help with the GPS functions of my Verizon XV800. I read postings on this and other forums saying that the built in GPS can be made readable without data services &/or phone service. I'm using a GPS reader (Holux GPS Viewer), but am not reading data from my phone's internal GPS.

Here is what I have done:
Installed the MR1 update to Win 6.1. My ROM ver is 3.57.605.1 and the radio version is 3.37.75.
Changed settings on the phone:
Start -> Settings -> System -> External GPS
Under the Programs tab -> GPS program port -> COM4
Under the Hardware tab -> GPS hardware port -> None and Baud rate ->4800
Under the Access tab -> Manage GPS automatically (recommended)
Start -> Settings -> Personal -> Phone
Under the Services tab -> Location Setting -> Get Settings -> Location On
Then I did a soft reset.

Next, I run Holux GPS Viewer (ver 1.5; set to COM 4). When I run the scan, it sees a GPS on COM 4, but the data sent to the program contains no GPS data, just a constant stream of...
$GPGSV,1,1,0,
$GPGGA,,,,,0,,,,,
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,

Can anyone tell me what I'm overlooking? How do I get the Holux program to recognize the internal GPS? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I also have a small Bluetooth GPS receiver that I works with the Holux software. The software sees the GPS receiver and displays latitude & longitude data that corresponds to my location. So I'm fairly certain the problem is in my XV6800, not with the Holux software. If anyone is interested, this receiver (Amod ABG 108 Bluetooth GPS Receiver) is available at www.semsens.com for only $18.99.

Next, I'll be looking for free, or low cost mapping software that does not require a data plan or WI-Fi connection. I read somewhere that the MR1 upgrade enables the phone to use 16GB memory cards. Has anyone tried this? Seems like there should be software available that will fit on a card with that much memory. Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: XV6800 Internal GPS - Can't read data

You can not get standalone gps(gps without data plan) with a stock version rom. You must follow the steps in the below link exactly. You rollback to erase verizon gps lock to pregps rom then upgrade to you choice of custom rom. You don't have to use the dcd rom suggest use which ever you choose.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...94&postcount=4

There are many gps mapping software. I use garmin xt with north america maps on a 2gb card. Also try navizon from the link in my signature to signup and log data and get paid to use your gps. Pm me if you have any questions I can answer.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell

mcfz is a n00b

I've done everything to that I could find as far as GPS fix and such and my GPS just won't lock on to anything
Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Mr. Chevy

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I have done the above. I know it works on the xv6800
Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Bell

mcfz is a n00b

I suppose i need to find someone who is on Bell and has it working.

Unless I am missing something, which I believe I have done everything...

Such a missioN!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

The PRI update effed my GPS. It may have done the same to yours.
Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Mr. Chevy

Exactly the pri messed it up. Rolling back to a old pregps rom, downgrades the pri and removes the block.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan