PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation I messed up my signal!

I have problems with my signal at work, it's at the minimum in 1X. I can barely make/receive calls, and they cut out often. While at work I came across this video metacafe.com 963126 boost your cellular signal

It claims that by doing this simple project you can increase your signal. So I decided to try it. Sure enough, it works!

The problem now is that once I took the cable out for comparison of with Vs. without, i have no signal!

So, before I would have ~ 1-2 bars at home, enough to be in EV and get on the net without any problem. Now, I can't get on at all, and I can only get a line on roaming, which was completely disabled before. Also my extended battery which would only be at 50% after fri,sat and sunday's use is now at 27% sunday morning! (last charged friday afternoon).

So now I have modified it so i can keep this antenna inside under the battery cover and i'm getting 2 bars again, sometimes full bars. I would still like to put it as it was before.

But my main question is, WHY did this happen? It's not like something got jammed up in the antenna plug. So, what are your thoughts?)

*** Updated on 4/24/09 ***

Ok so I lost all normal signal without the external antenna right... so I took the titan into the sprint store and had them check it out. The radio had "failed" and they were going to replace the phone. Well a few months of waiting because there were no replacement units, I got a TP. But I had already bought a TP in the meantime to "hold me over." That is also how i ended up with 2.

Read my other posts that follow for more details!

*** EOU ***

Last edited by GhettoBSD; 04-24-2009 at 11:21 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: VZW

TwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTwoDawgs is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: I messed up my signal!

I have been using the external antenna adapters made by Wilson Electronics for years. I think the reason this happened is because after you inserted the wire you probably rotated the wire somewhat. If there is any rotation after the wire is inserted it will mess up some internal connection. Most Wilson adapters have a warning on them to this effect and include velcro so the adapter can be secured in place.

I have had this happen to me with the wilson adapter and found if I inserted the adapter and rotated it slightly then pulled it out I would get my signal back. So I would suggest you try this. It might take a few times for you to get this to work. Basically I think you have to keep rotating it until the connection is made again!

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

I think you hit it on the head, I will work on it tomorrow and post the results. I think there's 3 markers on the antenna jack, so i'll try lining those up.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDawgs View Post
I have been using the external antenna adapters made by Wilson Electronics for years. I think the reason this happened is because after you inserted the wire you probably rotated the wire somewhat. If there is any rotation after the wire is inserted it will mess up some internal connection. Most Wilson adapters have a warning on them to this effect and include velcro so the adapter can be secured in place.

I have had this happen to me with the wilson adapter and found if I inserted the adapter and rotated it slightly then pulled it out I would get my signal back. So I would suggest you try this. It might take a few times for you to get this to work. Basically I think you have to keep rotating it until the connection is made again!

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

Hmm i could have sworn I updated this, anyhow here are my other posts and i'll update the first post with what happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
not to argue against anyones excellent advice, but you'd might be interested in searching my threads and finding the one where i lost all signal hahaha

i was trying to improve my signal too, and by doing so officially fooked up my internal antenna so that i can only use "external" anntenas. So what i have now is copper wire that is smushed inside the case. the only saving grace i have is that i have the extended battery, so there's actually enough room for this. It's wrapped around the battery. If i had the standard battery i don't know if it would work.

so basically, don't stick something in the antenna port and twist! noooooooooooo hahaha

GOOD LUCK! :P

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

here's another i posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
I caution everyone who wants to plug anything into the external antenna connection on the back of the HTC phones.

I tried one of those "do it yourself antennas" i found a video on right... hahaha

Well, it worked, trouble is i didn't want to have it hanging out of my phone all the time right? But it turns out that the external antenna jack and the internal antenna jack are connected and it's a very sensitive/delicate connection. So if you "turn" the external connection just slightly you pretty much disconnect the internal antenna! And voila no signal at all.

I ended up leaving the external antenna i made inside the case. I have an extended battery so thats the only reason it works. Without that antenna in place (inside the case) i wouldn't be able to use my phone!!!!

So, be careful what you plug in and how you "turn it!!!!"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan