PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

senatorface is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wifi in standby

when connected to my wireless router at home, whenever i tap the power key to put the device in to standby, i also lose my wifi data connect and all programs maintaining it get disconnected. i found a Power Save slider in Wireless Lan (Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wireless Lan) for that particular data connection, but even when dragged all the way to the left for Best Performance, it still behaves this way.

is there any way to keep my wifi data connection connected when the device is in standby (not completely off, just the screen). my forum search returned nothing of value.
Verizon Motorola T730C
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Scrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
that is strange i have not experienced tis. typically i put the phone in standby when downloading and the wifi connection stays there
________
Hotstuffmmm

Last edited by Scrotum; 09-06-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
I have noticed that when I wake my device after being connected to wifi that there is a small period of time right after the device waking that it reconnects to wifi...

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:15 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

senatorface is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesus
I have noticed that when I wake my device after being connected to wifi that there is a small period of time right after the device waking that it reconnects to wifi...
yep you can see the little icon looking for a connection, and if you tap it quick enough you can get the dialog that says theres no data sessions active.

others must be experiencing this? i'm pretty disappointed in it as i intended to use the mogul as a mobile pc within my house being that i dont have a laptop, but if i'm going to lose my internet connection everytime i go in to standby thats not gonna serve that purpose very well.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Depends on what is using the wifi connection. Some programs keep the data connection open even when the phone turns off, however I wonder if the phone's battery saving "ability" would trump the app's commands.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

senatorface is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesus
Depends on what is using the wifi connection. Some programs keep the data connection open even when the phone turns off, however I wonder if the phone's battery saving "ability" would trump the app's commands.
you'd think the slider for the specific wifi connection set to "Best Performance" versus "Best Battery" would maintain the connection at the cost of battery life in standby. i'm not sure anyone could say what effect this slider has at all... can you?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

jaak is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorface
you'd think the slider for the specific wifi connection set to "Best Performance" versus "Best Battery" would maintain the connection at the cost of battery life in standby. i'm not sure anyone could say what effect this slider has at all... can you?
The slider sets the power saving mode of the wifi radio. It allows the radio to go to sleep and power down parts of its circuits. The radio will then periodically wake up to check to see if it has any data waiting for it at the access point.

The power savings can be significant, but it slows down throughput.

Conversely, on best performance the radio is always fully powered and ready to receive. The access point can send data immediately and not wait for the radio to wake up and poll it. (Check out 802.11 power save mode on google if you want to know more about it.)
Old 07-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
I know there is a reg setting for the SD slot that was keeping the sd alive durring standby (apache forum). I am pretty sure the wifi has a simmilar entry.

But I can't find the thread at the moment...

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

that_kid is a n00b
No WM device behaves this way, the slider is just to set the performace of the radio when it's on, not when the device is in standby. When the device is put into standby so is wifi, it's by design and unless you have the device connected to external power the usefullness of this wouldn't be very good. Maybe there's a way around it but as it stands this is how it is.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
that_kid is correct

also, i beleive the slider adjusts the TX power of the radio.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan