PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Please help with files transfers (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=6345)

tacotime 07-23-2007 05:29 PM

Please help with files transfers

One of the first rules of posting is always search before positing a question. Having felt like I cheated on my best girl, I searched other forums and did not find the answer that I was looking for. As the saying goes " you always go back to your on true Love", so I need to ask the best forum out there to help me with a file transfer problem.

When I had a 6700 and was connected to my XP system with a USB cable, I was able to manipulate files, using XP's file explorer, between the phone and the computer.

Now, I'm using a 6800 and linking up to a Vista computer. I can only see 5 folders on my phone when I exploring on my computer. When I use the explorer on my phone, I am able to see all the .tsk and .cab and all other system files.

I want to be able to transfer files from my computer to my phone. If anyone knows a fix to this problem, please let me know. In addition, please post "step-by-step" instructions . I'll appreciate any help anyone will provide.

Thanks,
Taco

Pibe38 07-23-2007 05:46 PM

I don't have Vista, but you can see hidden folders on XP by going to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab - and then enable Show Hidden Files and Folders.

jamesus 07-23-2007 06:38 PM

Speaking of file transfer problems, anyone notice that sometime copying a file over takes forever?

Also, and I think this might be a SD card issue, I will copy and paste a cab file over into \SD\Cab Files (my folder) and then try to install a cab and I get an unsuccessful message.

This does not happen though when I put a cab file in AS's My Docs folder...

CJ00TA 07-23-2007 07:00 PM

as already mentioned, unhide hidden/system files and folders.

I'm running Vista x64 with no file copy issues to the phone.

Yes, Vista file copy can be slow.. don't I know it. It's *almost* bad enough to go back to XP

If MS could fix that issue, I'd be a very happy Vista power user ;)

tacotime 07-24-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibe38
I don't have Vista, but you can see hidden folders on XP by going to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab - and then enable Show Hidden Files and Folders.

I know about hidden system files and activated this option as soon as I installed the OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ00TA
as already mentioned, unhide hidden/system files and folders

Yes, Vista file copy can be slow.. don't I know it. It's *almost* bad enough to go back to XP

I'm running a 32 bit Business Edition of Vista. After reading the resposes, I went as far as uninstalling the Windows Mobile Device Center and it's update and I still couldn't read my phone's files from my computer. The following folders, under the root "/" directory, are the only ones I can explore:

1. Application Data
2. Conn Mgr
3. Documents and Settings
4. My Docs
5. My Memos
6. Pictograms
7. Program Files -- with these sub-directories
Audible player
Connections
IOTA
Windows Media Player

I'm sorry for the list, but I don't know how to do a screenshot. I really have a bunch of downloads and files I wish I could insatall. Oh, one more thing, should i re-install the Win Mobile Device Ctr.

Thanks,
Taco

tacotime 07-24-2007 05:11 PM

Bump ...

Am I doing anythig wrong or is anyone else having this problem

colonel 07-26-2007 12:27 AM

find me in the chat room sometime

tacotime 07-29-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotime
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibe38

I know about hidden system files and activated this option as soon as I installed the OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ00TA
as already mentioned, unhide hidden/system files and folders

I'm running a 32 bit Business Edition of Vista. After reading the resposes, I went as far as uninstalling the Windows Mobile Device Center and it's update and I still couldn't read my phone's files from my computer. The following folders, under the root "/" directory, are the only ones I can explore:

1. Application Data
2. Conn Mgr
3. Documents and Settings
4. My Docs
5. My Memos
6. Pictograms
7. Program Files -- with these sub-directories
Audible player
Connections
IOTA
Windows Media Player

I'm sorry for the list, but I don't know how to do a screenshot. I really have a bunch of downloads and files I wish I could insatall. Oh, one more thing, should i re-install the Win Mobile Device Ctr.

Thanks,
Taco

O.K., Ladies & Gentlemen:

I re-installed the Win Mobil Device Center. I 'm still only able to see the files/folders that I listed above. If anyone knows what I can try or can see something I'm doing wrong, please let me know. I'm even thinking of re-installing Vista or going back to XP. All I want to do is exchange files/folders between my laptop and mogul :banghead:

Thanks,
Taco

gustaf 07-29-2007 11:13 AM

Well, I have the same setup as you (6800, Vista Business 32-bit) and don't seem to have this problem.

I have WMDC 6.1.6965 - the initial version didn't work. I setup the sync manager and so every time I plug in my phone I can go to Computer -> My Smartphone and browse \ and Storage Card directories.

Playing with the hidden folder options in Vista doesn't seem to do anything to the listing in my device, so maybe it's a setting on your device. I've probably done a lot of the random registry tweaks listed in the sticky, maybe something like the unlock hack has to be applied? Or some other setting you played with that I didn't?

Sorry if this isn't very useful, but not being able to replicate something makes it hard to solve.