PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Lurker

bbondwvu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EVDO/ 1x help please

I have spent over 4 hours trying to get this fixed and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same thing. I called Tech support, took me an hour to finally get where I needed and they sent me to the store and the people at the store can't fix it b/c they don't have them. Now i am getting the run around.

I hard reset my phone last night and the EVDO stayed connected until when I try to go on the net and or get push data. The phone will not stay in evdo once I do that and it now just stays in 1x and goes to evdo to get the data. I called sprint to see if the EVDO info was in my account in ensemble and it was there. With the constant switchign between evdo and 1x it is draining my battery.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to get it to stay on the evdo network?

When I was at the store the phones there all had the EVDO connection and the tech said that mine should too..

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

youngworld is just getting started
I posted a fix over at PDAPhoneHome. Basically, have them reprovision your ACCOUNT, not just your phone and then have them add a code called EVDO Casual.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
You are probably in an iffy signal area for EV-DO coverage (or coverage period) and your phone is trying to be intelligent about switching to the tower that is giving it a stronger signal.

You can examine this yourself by going to the phone app and typing ##DEBUG# (or go to \Windows and execute fieldtrial.exe--same thing).

In the 1x section have a look at the Rx power section. You don't want to see anything lower than ~-90dbm or so (and by lower I mean greater negative numbers).

Now tap the 1x in the upper left and choose HDR from the dropdown list that appears. Now take a look at the Rx Power value and note how it compares to the 1x one you looked at before.

If the HDR Rx power is lower (i.e. a higher negative number) and it is lower than -90 or so, then your phone is switching to 1x because it's deciding it doesn't have enough signal from the EV tower to work well.

If the EV signal is higher than the 1x signal then there may be an EV-DO authentication issue. In fieldtrial in the HDR section make sure that the AN/AAA authentication value (last one in the list) shows "1=Authenticated". If it says 0 then you need to call Sprint Tech Support and have them reprovision your phone--tell them it's failing authentication.

It's more likely a ping-pong issue due to low EV signal. Lots of other people have had that problem and there is a fix, though you may not like it (but it will allow you to get on the net and solve the battery drain problems). You can force the phone into 1x-only mode. That will allow calls and data connection at 1x speeds. To do that you have to set a registry entry. If you're comfortable with that have a look at the last page of the "registry edits" thread in this forum... someone just posted the entry you need to edit.

Once you've done that, go into Start->Settings->Phone->Services tab and scroll in the list to find "Mode of Operation" and set it to 1x only... hit OK and your phone will make the switch (requires a soft reset).

Don't be tempted to choose EV-DO only from that list (unless it's just for testing). EV-DO cannot carry voice calls so if you lock it in that mode then you will lose the ability to receive calls (interestingly your phone will still switch to 1x to place calls). Hybrid is the normal choice which allows the phone to pick the stronger signal.

Hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bbondwvu is a n00b
thanks !!

my Rx power for 1x is -78 dbm
my HDR is -105

but here is the key.. an/aaa auth is 2= Failed Authentication.

So that must be my answer. Thank you for all your help!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bbondwvu is a n00b
finally

I finally got to someone in advanced tech support. EVDO was disabled on my account even though i spent over 6 hours on the phone with other people. So frustrating. I am calling customer care and getting my damn sero plan for all this hassle

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

clayfu is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill
You are probably in an iffy signal area for EV-DO coverage (or coverage period) and your phone is trying to be intelligent about switching to the tower that is giving it a stronger signal.

You can examine this yourself by going to the phone app and typing ##DEBUG# (or go to \Windows and execute fieldtrial.exe--same thing).

In the 1x section have a look at the Rx power section. You don't want to see anything lower than ~-90dbm or so (and by lower I mean greater negative numbers).

Now tap the 1x in the upper left and choose HDR from the dropdown list that appears. Now take a look at the Rx Power value and note how it compares to the 1x one you looked at before.

If the HDR Rx power is lower (i.e. a higher negative number) and it is lower than -90 or so, then your phone is switching to 1x because it's deciding it doesn't have enough signal from the EV tower to work well.

If the EV signal is higher than the 1x signal then there may be an EV-DO authentication issue. In fieldtrial in the HDR section make sure that the AN/AAA authentication value (last one in the list) shows "1=Authenticated". If it says 0 then you need to call Sprint Tech Support and have them reprovision your phone--tell them it's failing authentication.

It's more likely a ping-pong issue due to low EV signal. Lots of other people have had that problem and there is a fix, though you may not like it (but it will allow you to get on the net and solve the battery drain problems). You can force the phone into 1x-only mode. That will allow calls and data connection at 1x speeds. To do that you have to set a registry entry. If you're comfortable with that have a look at the last page of the "registry edits" thread in this forum... someone just posted the entry you need to edit.

Once you've done that, go into Start->Settings->Phone->Services tab and scroll in the list to find "Mode of Operation" and set it to 1x only... hit OK and your phone will make the switch (requires a soft reset).

Don't be tempted to choose EV-DO only from that list (unless it's just for testing). EV-DO cannot carry voice calls so if you lock it in that mode then you will lose the ability to receive calls (interestingly your phone will still switch to 1x to place calls). Hybrid is the normal choice which allows the phone to pick the stronger signal.

Hope this helps.
if it says 1x at the very top does that mean its running at 1x and not at EVDO?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfu
Uhmm... yeah.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

clayfu is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfu
Uhmm... yeah.
it says EV on my today screen, but when i do debug it says 1x...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

riotek is a n00b
You could always ##rtn# on the phone and than reset the phone up with your MDN and MSID that will give the phone a full factory reset. Its a little bit deeper than a hard reset. if this dosnt work than the problem is either your in a bad evdo coverage area as stated in a previous thread or evdo casual may not be on your account... Make sure you talk to advance tech support at sprint though anyone else you talk to wont know there head from there a$$...
Previous Devices: iPhone 3G - iPhone 2G - HTC Touch Pro - Treo 800w - PPC-6800 - Treo 700wx - PPC-6700 - BlackBerry 7300 - Treo 700p - BlackBerry 7100i - Audiovox PPC-6600 - Treo 650 - Treo 600 - Treo 300 - Kyocera QCP-6035
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Lurker

StarmanDX is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX
The ##DEBUG# FieldTrial app always reports 1x data first. You have to click the LSK and pick HDR to see the EV-DO data.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan