PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

moovius is keeping up the good workmoovius is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Touch Pro? Nah. I'll stick with my Mogul.

Over the past few weeks I have been contemplating the idea of upgrading to the Touch Pro (right now it would cost me $199 and not alter my sero plan).

It's a pretty slick looking phone compared to the Mogul:
  • More memory
  • Bigger and higher res screen
  • Faster interface (faster processor I assume)
  • Better camera
  • Bigger keyboard
  • etc...
But then I go to the forums to do some research and hear negative feedback about:
  • Battery life is very short (most former mogul owners notice it)
  • Frequent reports of overheating
  • Keyboard doesn't have the same tactile feel (many dislike it)
  • etc...
Believe me, I am sick of the slow interface and memory issues with the Mogul. I've had mine for 1.5 years now and I run DCD's 3.2.6 rom (which is one of the fastest roms I've ever used on this phone). My phone still runs like Vista on a 486 computer. But it already has gps, Evdo Rev A, a little over 4 hours of talk-time battery life, wifi, and all those things that I truly need.

How many of you mogul owners have researched the Touch Pro and decided to hold off on the upgrade? Are you hoping (like me) that HTC will come out with an improvement on the TP in the latter part of the year (a guy can dream can't he?).

I'm just curious.

EDIT:

Call me Judas! I just upgraded to the Sprint Touch Pro (on a whim).

I plan on posting a full comparison review between the mogul and the TP in the near future. I will put the link up here.

Yeah... I'm over the mogul now. I've moved on after only 4 days with the TP.

Last edited by moovius; 02-06-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Eat Static
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP
Re: Touch Pro? Nah. I'll stick with my Mogul.

The Pro can do some things better than the Mogul but the only real additional feature is video out. Plus, it has no IR. I'm holding out for the next generation of devices.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I doubt the next generation of devices will have IR.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, TP, PalmPRE, TP2
Carrier: Verizon

aarondeep is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aarondeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripdub1 View Post
I doubt the next generation of devices will have IR.
Agreed, IR is not a feature that is coming back anytime soon.

I have a sprint touch pro which I have converted over to verizon (sprint version has more memory)

The keyboard definitely takes some getting used to over the titan. Is that a deal breaker? For me no. I suggest that you go to a sprint store that has a working display model of the phone for you to play around with.

The touch pro is definately faster than my mogul. The added memory on this thing shows. I like the TF3d interface as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Eat Static

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

I think IR for the most part is dead. I was just pointing out that the Mogul has a feature which the Pro doesn't. I don't use IR very often but it does come in handy from time to time.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

i had a mogul for almost a year. i was going to get the Touch Pro, and I am glad i didnt.

gotta diamond instead! its not fair to try out on-screen keyboards on the titan to see how well you could type on the diamond, because the screen is so much more sensitive. just ask people who have a TP, many say they just like having the hard keyboard if they really need it- but they use the SIP more.

my battery life on my diamond is BY FAR better than my titans ever was. all i need is the combo of diamond tweak and advanced config, and those two apps have such great power management options available my phone has lasted up to three days off the charger.

overheating does happen with stock roms, but flash a custom rom and play with the different radios and you wont have overheating problems anywhere near as much, if at all. it doesnt bother me whenever i feel it get a little warmer

look at the facts- the next line up of htc's phone are out. they are not going to be as huge of a jump as it was from a titan to a TP. i dont know how you managed to find a deal of 199 for a tp, but i dont know what youre waiting for!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamonds On My Damn Chain
Carrier: Still With Sprint

nelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm144k View Post
i had a mogul for almost a year. i was going to get the Touch Pro, and I am glad i didnt.

gotta diamond instead! its not fair to try out on-screen keyboards on the titan to see how well you could type on the diamond, because the screen is so much more sensitive. just ask people who have a TP, many say they just like having the hard keyboard if they really need it- but they use the SIP more.

my battery life on my diamond is BY FAR better than my titans ever was. all i need is the combo of diamond tweak and advanced config, and those two apps have such great power management options available my phone has lasted up to three days off the charger.

overheating does happen with stock roms, but flash a custom rom and play with the different radios and you wont have overheating problems anywhere near as much, if at all. it doesnt bother me whenever i feel it get a little warmer

look at the facts- the next line up of htc's phone are out. they are not going to be as huge of a jump as it was from a titan to a TP. i dont know how you managed to find a deal of 199 for a tp, but i dont know what youre waiting for!
+1.... I had a mogul and always used the sip but now i got a diamond and its so much easier and faster because of the screen. I use pcm keyboard 0.14 plus mr. hawaiiis skin! Works wonders!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6850

aesoprock00 is just getting started

i have a mogul and have been considering a TP for a few months now. of course due to the faster processor, and better RAM, but mainly because the keyboard on my Mogul is busted, and i don't have insurance (a mistake i'll never make again) so they won't replace it. i've called Sprint and complained, and they've offered me like $300 off the TP if i upgrade, but i keep putting it off.

in reality, i've gotten used to using the stylus and the on screen keyboard. plus, my mogul, with stock ROM has done me pretty well. sure, it'll lock up on occasion, or won't have enough memory to open a program, but i don't have nearly the same amount of problems many others on this site complain about (or maybe i'm just not as big of a complainer as many of the others are).

i wish i still had a working keyboard on my Mogul, and in the end, i might make my way over to the TP, but aside from the added memory and better screen, my Mogul is doing pretty well for now. i only have to soft reset maybe once every week or 2, and it's got all the programs on it that i need right now (though there are a few that i _want_ that i don't have or can't use just yet).

so i'll be sticking with my mogul for a while longer, until the keyboard thing completely pisses me off and i have to throw it against a wall. i wish i would have gotten the insurance on it, but it's too late for that. i'll definitely get insurance if i upgrade to the TP! however, the heat, battery life, and its other issues haven't made me 100% optimistic about the TP. while i'm only 70% optimistic about my busted Mogul, i have it in my hand, ther'es no waiting for a replacement, it works, and i don't have to pay anything additional for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I went from 6700-6800 to Touch pro and personally the touch pro is the first upgrade to the 6700 the APACHE WAS bomb and i hated when they made me go to the mogul hated it from day one and nothing but problems but i get the same batt life and the touch pro is just soooo much better make the jump you wont be sorry you did
Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog54 View Post
The Pro can do some things better than the Mogul but the only real additional feature is video out.
There isnt a lot of different between the 68 and TP. A little more RAM, VGA, video out and a new shell. IMO, thats NOT enough to make me wanna pay for the upgrade OR renew a contract for it. Ive played with the TPs in the stores and ever after a hard reset they still had lag in them and the TF3D was not as responsive as it should/could be. Too bad the Omnia (VZW) doesnt have a hardware KB.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan