PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Water damage... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=6213)

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-19-2007 06:14 PM

Water damage...

Allright, so today, I got caught in a horrible storm. Phone got soaked...I looked at it and it was on the rainbow striped screen you get when you're starting a hard reset. So I turned the phone off, popped the battery out and let it dry out a bit. Put it back in, it would freeze at the Windows Mobile screen. Tried that a couple of times, and now I get no response. The charging light did come on while plugged in, though. I'm wondering if:

a) drying will take of the problem and if not,
b) will Sprint insurance take care of this? If they don't cover water damage, would lying a bit work? If I'm out $400, I'm going to flip.

Thanks guys.

dcd 07-19-2007 06:22 PM

try and dry it out first, but DO NOT try to power it on or plug it in until it is dry. if there is water inside, current can fry the phone as water is conductive.

eb3604 07-19-2007 06:22 PM

i dont know if htc uses the water stickers. I dont see one below the battery or on the battery. it might be hidden.

stroths 07-19-2007 06:37 PM

Go to your local pharmacy and ask for as many silica packs as the will give you. Put these and your phone in a ziplock bag (battery out) and place the sealed bag under a desk lamp to warm the contents up some. This should speed up the process of the silica packs extracting any remaining moisture.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-19-2007 06:43 PM

Thanks guys...no luck yet, I'm still getting stuck on the Windows Screen. I'm really hoping I didn't fry something, but I don't get why it would stop there. I'm going to hold off on the hard reset for a while...because that is a LAST resort before a replacement. Here's hoping.

**UPDATE**

I let it sit on the Windows screen, and after a couple of minutes the screen just went black. The green light up top is blinking normally, but the phone only responds to a soft reset.

jamesus 07-19-2007 06:47 PM

I've had something like this happen to me (not the water damage, but the windows mobile screen freeze) and the only thing I could do was hard reset...

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-19-2007 06:48 PM

Yea I think I'm going to have to just man up and reset. Oh well, didn't lose anything save a few hours...

**Jamesus** I caught the comment on the other thread but didn't want to go off topic...I've done my job! Glad it got a laugh.

Hard reset seems to have done the trick, thanks for all of your help guys!

Vertigo 07-19-2007 06:57 PM

Glad that you revive your Mogul. Now you're a happy owner of a Mogul Survivor! hopefully wont hapen again! but I hope you have insurance on the phone!!

=)

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-19-2007 06:59 PM

Yea, I have insurance, but don't worry I have another problem: I can't activesync!

jamesus 07-19-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot
Yea I think I'm going to have to just man up and reset. Oh well, didn't lose anything save a few hours...

**Jamesus** I caught the comment on the other thread but didn't want to go off topic...I've done my job! Glad it got a laugh.

Hard reset seems to have done the trick, thanks for all of your help guys!

Let us know if you "manning up" works and thanks for the laugh. I chuckle every time I see it... :D