PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3G or EV is there a difference?

I was talking to a VZW tech guy and asked if the 3G was the same as EV which is what it says on my phone.
I was told 3g is not the same as evdo, but kinda is. The 3G is faster and only for laptops.

Is this true?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: 3G or EV is there a difference?

The "3G" name was barley mentioned by CDMA carriers after the iPhone 3G came out. Mainly because Apple made it sound so fast people thought if 3G wasen't included then it was slow. But, they about the same...

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan (MOGUL)
Carrier: Sprint

the_overlord is just getting started

3G stands for Third Generation. It is a generic marketing description for High Speed Data networks regardless of the carrier. EVDO, HSPDA, GSM, Etc are terms that represents the Technology used by the carrier for their data network. EVDO is considered a 3G network.

But these terms do not specifically designate the actual speed of the Data network. So any Data device will see the benefit of the 3G network, not just laptops.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM
ONE GIANT LEAP 4 MANKIND
Pocket PC: VERIZON DROID 1.2GHz BB.8

bbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbbsandkm is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_overlord View Post
3G stands for Third Generation. It is a generic marketing description for High Speed Data networks regardless of the carrier. EVDO, HSPDA, GSM, Etc are terms that represents the Technology used by the carrier for their data network. EVDO is considered a 3G network.

But these terms do not specifically designate the actual speed of the Data network. So any Data device will see the benefit of the 3G network, not just laptops.
i got to thank you for a nice answer like this
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:19 PM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP

I advise you to check out this thread.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52976

Here is what I had to say about it in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHawaii View Post
Really guys, don't take this the wrong way but who cares what "g" it is. I don't believe there is an industry standard as what is defined as 1g, 2g, 3g, or 4g. One carriers 3g could be like another's 2g. They are terms that describe the evolution of the carrier's network. Like for Sprint, the 1st generation network was the big cellphones that did just phone calls. 2nd generation network started mixing phone calls and data. This was defined as 1xRTT or 1x, it also started with handsets that could make calls, send texts, and browse web. Keep in mind the first devices was still monocolored screens and mostly just included data in text. Then devices were made with multi-colored screens, that enabled better web experience and features (still in mobile versions though) and on 1xRTT speeds. Then the network was upgraded again, the 3rd genertation with EVDO Release 0 which boosted data speeds and enabled Sprint to do things like SprintTV, SprintNavigation, Sprint Music Store, etc. EVDO Revision A boosted data speeds once again, download got a little boost but upload speeds got a bigger boost.

So again, who cares what "g" it is because that is not defined in a constant manner and like was said it was turned into more of a marketing term. What you should be concerned with is what was said in the first post and in the first post's sig, SPEED. SPEED is constant. 2MBps download (which is really good) means the same thing on a Sprint network as it would on Verizon or ATT.

So these are the things you should be concerned with when looking at data networks from different carriers.

1st) SPEED. There are different variables that could determine better or poorer speeds like signal strength, bloated network, etc. So keep it mind that you measure average speeds downloaded and uploaded.

2nd) COVERAGE. And that means coverage in your area. Who cares who has the BIGGEST coverage area. The average user will only use it in one city or state. Check the coverage in you area that you frequent.

3rd) STABILITY. This is the smallest concern of them all because all of the big carriers' networks perform well enough on average.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: axim, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

j10376 is becoming a great contributor

Sprint has the fastest and best data network period. There is no comparison I have tested att and verizon they are slower. Coverage of course has alot to do with this but with full coverage sprint wins. Also sprint has better data options sprint tc etc
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 AM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Hmm. I have tested Sprint and Verizon, the Verizon is much faster here. But, again yes coverage does matter a lot... Sprint cell service is horible here...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan