PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ElAguila is keeping up the good workElAguila is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
memory clarification

I have been searching and reading and I am trying to get something clear in my head about the memory management on the mogul. When I install apps, it installed them into the rom space. There is only 64mb of ram. When I start the phone up, I only have 1 app running and that is a small call block software but I only have 15mb of ram free. What is taking up all of the ram? Is it the windows and associated programs/services? If so, is the only way to reduce it to build my own custom rom?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: memory clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAguila View Post
I have been searching and reading and I am trying to get something clear in my head about the memory management on the mogul. When I install apps, it installed them into the rom space. There is only 64mb of ram. When I start the phone up, I only have 1 app running and that is a small call block software but I only have 15mb of ram free. What is taking up all of the ram? Is it the windows and associated programs/services? If so, is the only way to reduce it to build my own custom rom?
Correct. Just like your PC Operating System that loads into the desktop RAM, WinMobile loads into RAM on the phone.

There is a large chunk of RAM that is allocated to a "Page Pool" - that's sort of like the disk cache, and takes a large (8-12MB) chunk of ram that WinMo doesn't even tell you about.

Then there is the chunk used by the OS itself, and another variable chunk for all the other buffers, and finally all the memory allocated to services. As you use the phone over time (between soft resets) more services may be started, and more buffers may be allocated, slowly reducing free memory even more.

You can use one of the many pre-built custom roms for the mogul to get slightly more free ram - I believe the nue roms are the best for free memory as they allow you to disable the camera completely freeing up an additional 5mb or so of ram.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero
Threadstarter

ElAguila is keeping up the good workElAguila is keeping up the good work

Thanks for the response. I have the kitchen and I am going to try my hand at creating a rom for this. I had a nice one built for my 6700.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Vogue

intimidatorx31 is a n00b

http://www.nuerom.com

THis rom gave my brothers mogul an incredible 31mb of ram free at boot.

I reccommend this rom if you plan on multitasking with lots of apps; without the constant anxiety of closing current apps and checkin how much ram you have available

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan