PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice
Free Tethering? I think so.

So I was having an issue with my data calls today, getting error code 67 when i tried dialing #777. Well I called Sprint Tech Support and they walked me through resetting my data profile. The ## code was ##3282# and I put in my MSL code after choosing Edit from the resulting menu.

I was able to Edit a setting that corresponded to my IP. It was initially set to Mobile IP Only and I change it to Mobile IP Preferred. I also changed the 3 keys in HKLM>Software>OEM>WMODEM all to 0 (disabled) so they couldn't detect tethering (Multi-NAI).

Now I can connect via Phone As Modem (which I wasn't able to do before) and getting 1.5 Mbps speed when I tether in Internet Sharing.

Let me know if anyone else has done/can do this. Do you think they're gonna fnd out and charge me? I don't see how they can and I can always just say that I really used the data on my phone.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

havieri23 is just getting started
can you give a step by step how you do this? i will try it on my phone
Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

winter720 is a n00b
what kind of speeds do you get running a mobile speed test form your phone?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Android Groupie
Threadstarter

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
You have to have your MSL number (which is the unlock code for programming your phone yourself) in order to change anything. You can call Sprint Technical Support and tell them you're getting Error Code 67 and can't connect to the internet on your phone. (Or you can just ask the rep to give it to you.) They should walk you through how to reset the data services by making you input ##3282# and then they'll give you your MSL number. Write it down as it is unique to your phone. Then you can hang up or whatever. That's what I did anyway. But go into the menu they were walking you through anyway and Edit the Mobile IP Only to Mobile IP Preferred. Save and soft reset when it tells you to.

You'll need to edit your registry. The only three keys in HKLM>Software>OEM>WMODEM should all be changed to Decimal 0. (Make sure at least Multi-NAI is set to 0 as that is the tethering detection)

Then just go to Connections settings and make sure Phone As Modem is the default connection for dialing up. Open Internet Explorer on the phone and dial up. When the connection is established, open Internet Sharing, choose USB and Phone As Modem for the settings and just start it and connect the USB cable.

That's what I did and I'm getting about 1 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps both on my phone alone and when tethered to my laptop, all on just EVDO. Can't wait for EVDO Rev. A!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Android Groupie
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter720
what kind of speeds do you get running a mobile speed test form your phone?
On my phone alone I'm getting consistent 1022~ Mbps. When I'm tethered I'm about the same. Fluctuates between 850 and 1200 Mbps.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:03 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul

ignar is a n00b
Do you have a reason to choose "Phone as Modem" instead of "Sprint PCS"?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Android Groupie
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignar
Do you have a reason to choose "Phone as Modem" instead of "Sprint PCS"?
I get faster speeds using Phone As Modem rather than using Sprint PCS. Sprint PCS only gets me speeds of around 200 kbps to MAX 450 kbps...so I connect with the PAM option instead.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul

ignar is a n00b
Thanks, electronicrice. One more question. What does changing "Mobile IP only" to "Mobile IP preferred" do?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Android Groupie
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignar
Thanks, electronicrice. One more question. What does changing "Mobile IP only" to "Mobile IP preferred" do?
You know, I'm not entirely sure. I read that it has something to do with how you switch towers. When you switch a tower in Simple IP Only mode, you have to disconnect data before you can get another IP on a new tower. Very inconvenient. But I just switched the setting to Mobile IP Preferred and now I can tether using Phone as Modem, which I couldn't do before.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Lurker

atsitalian is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicrice
You have to have your MSL number (which is the unlock code for programming your phone yourself) in order to change anything. You can call Sprint Technical Support and tell them you're getting Error Code 67 and can't connect to the internet on your phone. (Or you can just ask the rep to give it to you.) They should walk you through how to reset the data services by making you input ##3282# and then they'll give you your MSL number. Write it down as it is unique to your phone. Then you can hang up or whatever. That's what I did anyway. But go into the menu they were walking you through anyway and Edit the Mobile IP Only to Mobile IP Preferred. Save and soft reset when it tells you to.

You'll need to edit your registry. The only three keys in HKLM>Software>OEM>WMODEM should all be changed to Decimal 0. (Make sure at least Multi-NAI is set to 0 as that is the tethering detection)

Then just go to Connections settings and make sure Phone As Modem is the default connection for dialing up. Open Internet Explorer on the phone and dial up. When the connection is established, open Internet Sharing, choose USB and Phone As Modem for the settings and just start it and connect the USB cable.

That's what I did and I'm getting about 1 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps both on my phone alone and when tethered to my laptop, all on just EVDO. Can't wait for EVDO Rev. A!
electronicice YOU ROCK!!!! I have been fidgeting with this off and on since I got the mogul the day after it launched and all to no avail. I am currently sending this via my laptap tethered to the mogul with your tweak..... Thanks again

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan