PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   opera mini 4 is AMAZINGLY FAST (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5624)

dubroz 07-03-2007 12:29 AM

opera mini 4 is AMAZINGLY FAST

I am using the new opera browswer and am blown away by the speed!!!! god bless the java engine on the mogul.

minimo and pie are nothing compared to this, this is finally real internet speed !!!

(posting from the opera mogul)

faiz23 07-05-2007 12:48 PM

how is the load on the program memory once you have been using it for a while could you check your memory under settings and see what it is at, and what it goes up to once you close it. Or if you have memaid check the running proccess and see how much it takes up, i was using opera 8.6 and going on ebay the program jumped up to 4.5mb. i am looking for something that runs less than 2mb.

94tbird 07-05-2007 01:00 PM

wow it is pretty fast. any way to set a shortcut on the start menu

TurboFool 07-05-2007 01:11 PM

I have tried it (I had used it on my old phone) and I'm really surprised that the mobile version doesn't come close to working as well as the Mini version. I sure hope they fix that, as loading the Java console and then working me way to it is kind of a pain, not to mention I'd rather a better-integrated native application.

jtnet 07-05-2007 02:11 PM

what is the link to get it

wmdunn 07-05-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtnet
what is the link to get it

http://www.operamini.com/

jtnet 07-05-2007 02:39 PM

oh its the beta version that is nice.

how do i link this to my start menu instead of having to go thru java

darktiger 07-05-2007 03:05 PM

are you all using the high speed version or the low speed version?

jambaj0e 07-05-2007 03:14 PM

But Opera mini doesn't support multi-tabs, right? Can I import my Opera Windows Mobile bookmark into Opera mini?

TurboFool 07-05-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambaj0e
But Opera mini doesn't support multi-tabs, right? Can I import my Opera Windows Mobile bookmark into Opera mini?

As far as I'm aware the Java applications have no ability to communicate with the greater Windows Mobile ethos, so no ability to import or transfer data between them. That's one of the downsides of using Opera Mini. Also, as you noted, the lack of tabs.

I'm keeping it installed on my machine, but I'd much rather see Opera update the Mobile version to gain some of the same functionality. In particular the easy zooming functionality that Mini contains. Sure I can zoom in Mobile, but only in a three-deep menu, which isn't good for viewing a whole page and then zooming in on the area I need.

Dmunkey 07-05-2007 03:37 PM

Which Memory version is everyone on. Any difference between the two that anyone has noticed

ttyRazor 07-05-2007 05:44 PM

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/

from that it sounds like Opera Mobile 9 should work much like the opera mini beta in a more WM-native way, but unfortunately it's not out yet

TurboFool 07-05-2007 06:03 PM

Dmunkey: Only bother with the hi-memory version. The lo-memory version's for low-end cell phones, and it doesn't have as many features and doesn't load the pages as nicely.

ttyRazor: The wording's odd, and from some places it seemed to refer to 8.65 beta as the beta for 9.0, suggesting that that IS the interface. If so, I'll be disappointed.

jeremy3721 07-05-2007 07:24 PM

Well after I installed and closed it I can't find the program. Any idea where it saves too when you install?

Spydc 07-05-2007 07:34 PM

Jeremy, to run opera mini, you need to run the java app. Then click on the applications and you'll see opera mini.

jeremy3721 07-05-2007 08:07 PM

ah, I see.

That kind of sucks.

Spydc 07-05-2007 08:09 PM

Yea, i know. That's the only downside. If you get the opera mobile version, you won't need to run the java app first...but you have to pay for opera mobile. The latest opera mobile beta is free until october i believe.

Chillen 07-05-2007 09:05 PM

Well I just tried to post some screenies .. its not letting me due to the fact that I am new I have not posted before :P.. btw Hello to everyone new here.

Yes opera is very fast and easy on memory

Chillen 07-05-2007 09:36 PM

"In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have posted at least 2 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 4 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP.

Thanks!"

Well I still cant use post the screenies from opera.. I been here more than four days :P and well this my third post :cry:

Chillen 07-05-2007 09:36 PM

Hello guys first post.. but I will use my SS that i used on another forum.. basically opera uses alot less memory.. for me its way faster than IE ..and yes opera does support tabbs ;)

IE and Opera with same Page open
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8...sercomprv1.png

Opera with tabs
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9080/opera2it8.png

And last Memory consumed by both tabs
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3...edoperanq4.png

To me opera is clear winner here.. I used also tried Minimo browser and wow does it consume alot of mem.. think I had like 6mb left or something like that with only minimo loaded.. dindt get screenie tho.. uninstalled it right away.. lagged for me.

*Edit.. wOOOt finally got thru :P*

dubroz 07-05-2007 09:38 PM

Opera mini 4 beta IMHO is much much better than Opera mobile. I have both, and the mini blows it away. Mobile has tab browsing and text selection, but mini is much faster, preformats text to fit your window, and has the iPhone zoom interface.

MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK AUTO ZOOM in mini's settings. I missed it when I posted earlier. To zoom in tap on the screen to zoom out hit back.

Anyone out there know how to make a shortcut to a hard key? Don't say it isn't possible because the sprint music store has a link in Programs, and that is JAVA based as well. Someone out there can hack it, I know you can :)

TurboFool 07-06-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamu93
Hello guys first post.. but I will use my SS that i used on another forum.. basically opera uses alot less memory.. for me its way faster than IE ..and yes opera does support tabbs ;)

You know this topic was about Opera Mini, not Opera Mobile, right? Opera Mini doesn't support tabs and runs in Java. Opera Mobile supports tabs, runs natively, and doesn't have the great zooming functions of Opera Mini.

DAMBRO24 07-07-2007 09:49 AM

the link on the sie only lets me download mini for blackberry or palm. how are you guys using this program?

TurboFool 07-07-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMBRO24
the link on the sie only lets me download mini for blackberry or palm. how are you guys using this program?

Per the instructions on the Opera Mini site, you follow the link to mini.opera.com/beta on your device and download it from there. The links you saw to the Palm or Blackberry versions are listed as optional if you happen to have those devices instead of the more typical ones.

friguy3 07-07-2007 03:42 PM

Kinda liked the Opera mini, but a pain in the butt to start b/c couldnt just put a shortcut in my start menu or something, and found it a little difficult to read longer text b/c id zoom in to read but then there wasnt that much text. loved the interfaced though, how it zoomed and moved, very fast.

ScandaLex 07-07-2007 04:34 PM

sending this reply using mini right now. i think this browser is way fast. the fact that is a miglet doesnt bother me at all.

Touche' 07-07-2007 05:40 PM

I know that this is a Titan forum, but does Opera Mini not work on the 6700?

I'm receiving my 6800 Mon or Tues, so I just wanted to maybe try it out to see if I liked it. When I go to the site on my phone, it downloads, but the file does nothing.

I can't find the 6700 on the list of phones for the desktop download.

What am I doing wrong?

-Touche'

gameboy213 07-07-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touche'
I know that this is a Titan forum, but does Opera Mini not work on the 6700?

I'm receiving my 6800 Mon or Tues, so I just wanted to maybe try it out to see if I liked it. When I go to the site on my phone, it downloads, but the file does nothing.

I can't find the 6700 on the list of phones for the desktop download.

What am I doing wrong?

-Touche'

The 6800 has the Java applet... the 6700 doesn't unless you added something. So you will not be able to run Mini as it is a Java app.

Touche' 07-07-2007 07:15 PM

Okay, I gotcha. Thank you for the reply, gameboy213. Appreciate it.

-Touche'

blazingwolf 07-07-2007 07:19 PM

Opera Mini will work on the 6700 if you have one of the ROMS that has the Midlet Manger on it. I have been playing with it. It's ok but I'm not partial to it.

allblackmax 07-08-2007 12:06 PM

This browser doesn't seem to work with streaming videos sites such as youtube.

The Doctor 07-08-2007 04:44 PM

Is there a way to create a shortcut to this little wonder?

dubroz 07-08-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinabrady
Is there a way to create a shortcut to this little wonder?

Yes, but noone figured it out yet. Sprint music store is a Java miglet and it has a direct shortcut in the program folder.

I'm desperately waiting for a tweaker out there to make us a shortcut too.

5.0stang 07-08-2007 07:19 PM

How do i go side to side on either one of the browsers?

TurboFool 07-08-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.0stang
How do i go side to side on either one of the browsers?

Scroll?

There's horizontal scroll bars in the Mobile version, although you can also hold and drag (sporadic). In the Mini version you just drag to scroll.

8notime 07-09-2007 12:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I created this for those of you who want to launch Opera Mini without bringing up the Java app first.

Install the attached link (inside the zip) to your \windows\start menu\programs folder.

Click on OperaMini in your programs menu to launch the app automatically.

dubroz 07-09-2007 09:11 AM

YOU ROCK !!!

this makes my day, if I had points I'd give them to you.

gameboy213 07-09-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubroz
YOU ROCK !!!

this makes my day, if I had points I'd give them to you.

I gave them for you... :wink:

TurboFool 07-09-2007 03:43 PM

Too cool. So now I've got three browsers to use! Mini for speed, IE for a quick-access system-level browser, and Mobile for advanced stuff.

gameboy213 07-09-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool
Too cool. So now I've got three browsers to use! Mini for speed, IE for a quick-access system-level browser, and Mobile for advanced stuff.

I would throw Piscel on there too if I were you! :D