PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering with the Titan?

Obviously it'll be possible, but have heard that Verizon would know that you are tethering with this phone (and then consequently make you pay an additional $15/month for it). My question is how exactly would a carrier know this and is there a possibility of a "tweak" that would not identify this activity?

I really enjoy surfing where ever on my laptop when traveling but would hate to spend another $15/month on top of my $$$ "unlimited data plan".
Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Sprint

HobbesIsReal is keeping up the good workHobbesIsReal is keeping up the good work
As far as pricing....Sprint data plan prices blow VZ out of the water. But when you look at tethering (aka Phone as modem) then it comes back into balance as VZ only charges $15 extra a month while Sprint charges $39.99 extra month.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

xmind2006 is a n00b
Yeah, I definitely know Sprint pricing is better because it is cheaper and it truely is unlimited data. I'm just curious though if the 6800 can be "un-detectable" by some means.

Worst case is that I guess I could keep the 6700 and change the ESN to the 6800's to use for the internet during travels.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

nemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to nemanracing
Verizon only knows because they make you think you need to use the VZ Access Manager software on the laptop. So the software on the laptop tells them your teathered, not the phone or the connection itself.
History:XV6850 WM6.5,PPC6850 WM6.5 on VZW,XV6850 WM6.1/Telus Radio,VZW Omnia,XV6900 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6800 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6700 WM6,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX,Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135
Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmind2006
Yeah, I definitely know Sprint pricing is better because it is cheaper and it truely is unlimited data. I'm just curious though if the 6800 can be "un-detectable" by some means.

Worst case is that I guess I could keep the 6700 and change the ESN to the 6800's to use for the internet during travels.
Just buy PDAnet ($34)...it does just that, makes it undetecable.

It just goes through AS and uses your "regular" connection on the device. Everyone who uses WM5 devices for tethering (excepet the 6700) uses it for just that. It's mad simple.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700 / Mogul

boyo is a n00b
The question I have is, does the old driver work still for the modem and if not, is there a new driver coming with the phone that will let you tether?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache - Titan - Vogue - Diamond

lattisimo is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to lattisimo Send a message via MSN to lattisimo Send a message via Yahoo to lattisimo Send a message via Skype™ to lattisimo
Shouldn't be a problem!

All i had to was start internet sharing and connect it to my pc (same one i sync my 6700 with). after the network connection is established and the device has dialed #777, the computer browses with no problems. (rev0 at the moment) looks like there will be no NAI block on this device.

very much like our 6700s that have aku 3.3 and up with internet sharing.

HobbesIsReal:
Quote:
As far as pricing....Sprint data plan prices blow VZ out of the water. But when you look at tethering (aka Phone as modem) then it comes back into balance as VZ only charges $15 extra a month while Sprint charges $39.99 extra month.

Sprint does NOT charge 39.99 EXTRA. They just change your $15 plan to a $39.99 plan that includes unlimited data for your device and whatever you connect it to. however they will only support your pc. lol.

but no worries... it looks like just a standard $15 is all your going to need for the 6800. can't guarantee that won't change but i do not expect it.

can't wait to get my real one! I am a bit jealous Telus got them first.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache - Titan - Vogue - Diamond

lattisimo is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to lattisimo Send a message via MSN to lattisimo Send a message via Yahoo to lattisimo Send a message via Skype™ to lattisimo
To answer the question about detectability

Sprints method of control is call an NAI block. basically they have the manufacturer build in a method to switch to a second user name (eg. username@modem.verizon.com). Which results in an authentication failure without the modem plan. The Titan and Apache for Sprint do not have this block. The only way Sprint can tell if you are using this device or the Apache as a modem is by usage. BUT, with peer to peer apps, torrent apps, and Orb and Slingbox for these devices, it is easy to argue that you transfer that amount of data legitimately with just the device.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

UTSAFTW is a n00b
Woot! Thanks for the info lattisimo. Hopefully there is not an NAI block at all when it is finally released. I myself barely use tethering, but do like having the ability to use it. The last time I used it was about a month ago. Hopefully it'll be just like the 6700.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
N00b

prettytonydotnet is a n00b
tytn confusion

Peace and Progress to everyone! I have a question, has anyone figured out how to program the original tytn ppc 6800 from htc.com the creator of this device and the 6700? sprint has altered the design from having a video phone to not having one and if im going to spend $6-$900 bucks on a communication device, I want the most for my money. I wonder what it would take to purchase the original device and then configure it to operate on the sprint network. Any information will be appreciated. thanks everyone.

http://www.prettytony.net/tytn.jpg this is the original tytn from htc.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan