PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM
N00b

stevland is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P4000 / Telus / WM5 specific information

The P4000 from Telus (Canada) is running Windows Mobile 5, unlike the same devices that are being released in the US with WM6.

There are no official announcements about whether or not an upgrade to WM6 will be available or not, but lots of rumors...

http://www.google.com/search?q=wm6+t...L_enCA228CA228

I've already seen some confusion in this forum on the part of P4000 users who don't understand why they can't use all of the same themes / hacks / software etc..

I've started this P4000 specific thread for those of us who are stuck with WM5 (for now, I hope) to discuss issues, tips, etc.

Hopefully the forum mods will make this thread a sticky and/ or add a link to the "PPC-6800 FAQ's sticky" to help diffuse the confusion.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Telus

borealcool is a n00b
Glad you started this thread, I've got the Telus P4000 and would of installed useless stuff...

Got news from an insider at Telus that the P4000 will get an upgrade to WM6 in Sept. and will take it a step further by activating the much rumored GPS chip. Not sure if he was talking about A-GPS or full GPS though.

Btw, I got Skype working on it flawlessly by installing an archived beta version which can be downloaded from here: towers.fr/SkypeForPocketPC_Beta.exe
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

stevland is a n00b
Welcome, borealcool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealcool
Glad you started this thread, I've got the Telus P4000 and would of installed useless stuff...
Just for the record, a lot of the software, tweaks, even reg fixes in this fourm DO work on the P4000... you just have to keep in mind that if something doesn't work it could be because we are running WM5.

In my estimation going from WM5 to WM6 is more akin to going from Windows 2000 to XP, rather than XP to Vista.

Still, if Telus offer a WM6 upgrade, that would be great. I've been meaning to hassle them about it.

Quote:
Got news from an insider at Telus that the P4000 will get an upgrade to WM6 in Sept. and will take it a step further by activating the much rumored GPS chip. Not sure if he was talking about A-GPS or full GPS though.
I would really love to have GPS on this phone, but I would assume that if Telus are going to this trouble then it will be a paid service (A-GPS) and it will probably cost a fortune to use!

Quote:
Btw, I got Skype working on it flawlessly by installing an archived beta version which can be downloaded from here: towers.fr/SkypeForPocketPC_Beta.exe
Very cool. I will have to give this a try...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

borealcool is a n00b
Thanks stevland,

Like you I found my way to this excellent site by hitting everything Google returns for the Mogul, including the HTC wiki. This is my first ppc moving from a cellphone so it looks like I've got lots of catching up to do.

With the BCE acquisition having failed, Telus may yet offer the GPS as a perk since they need to remain somewhat competitive
Old 06-30-2007, 07:59 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

stevland is a n00b
Quote:
Thanks stevland,

Like you I found my way to this excellent site by hitting everything Google returns for the Mogul, including the HTC wiki. This is my first ppc moving from a cellphone so it looks like I've got lots of catching up to do.

With the BCE acquisition having failed, Telus may yet offer the GPS as a perk since they need to remain somewhat competitive
Catching up to do?! Ya, this is my first PPC as well. I've lost about 3 weeks of work in the past month f**king around with this toy!

I don't know anything about the BCE acquisition you speak of, but the sad fact is that the brightest minds in this forum seem to have lost hope that this phone is even capable of stand-alone GPS.

http://ppcgeeks.com/gps-gps-gps-t608...light,gps.html
Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

borealcool is a n00b
Yeah, it's not looking too good on the standalone GPS front is it

I guess even if they do offer the service for free, the darn thing will burn your data plan faster than you can find the address you're heading to

I don't know why they call it A-GPS if it's using cell towers to triangulate, more like Local Positioning System...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC CDMA Touch Pro2

bugs9477 is keeping up the good workbugs9477 is keeping up the good work
Another telus P4000 user new to the PPC "But not to the PC", I understand most of the lingo here just not which PPC it applies too!

I hope to get my new and my first PPC set up to my way of thinking....... which my wife says "no phone is that stupid" ..what ever that is supposed to mean !

I too would like Phone specific help........ soon....lol
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

borealcool is a n00b
Welcome to the club bugs9477 !

strevland,

Before you pointed me to the GPS thread I had contacted HTC and they just replied with the following:

The Mogul supports AGPS only, which requires a connected call to get data location. Whether or not the GPS chip is enabled on your device is strictly the decision of your carrier.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC CDMA Touch Pro2

bugs9477 is keeping up the good workbugs9477 is keeping up the good work
Good to know, thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Lurker

docjfnoel is a n00b
WM5 in french?

Hi everyone,

Anyone knows if there's a french version for WM5 since I'm a frenchie and there's only an english version for the P4000 (I think).

Thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan