PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint RhodiumW (SIM/CID Unlocked), Titan, Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Two way data Xfer via USB

Here's an off the wall thought that I would like the assistance of you more...fluent...individuals.

Here's what I have:

-Verizon XV 6800; WM 6.1. ROM: 3.57.605.1 Radio: 3.37.75 PRL: 2.03_002
-Verizon AC595U; USB 'Broadband' Modem. Unlimited internet usage.
-1 Tb external hard drive using a USB connection.

I want to:

A.) Use my AC595U wireless modem for internet access on my Titan (can't get unlimited usage on my Titan, not willing to pay the same company twice for internet).

B.) Use my external hard drive to run Windows XP Pro. I have a programing buddy who says he can create an emulator to fool XP into thinking that Virtual RAM is RAM, therefore acting as if there is more than the 64 Mb of RAM on the Titan. Basically running a full version of Windows and speeding things up by creating Virtual RAM. Also making the Titan pretty much the smallest PC around instead of it being limited as a Pocket PC when the external drive is connected. Make sense?

C.) Use the Titan as normal when all the external gadgets are unhooked.

My buddy tells me that once two way communication is established via the USB from the phone, he can tweak everything. He is a computer Programer and a Microsoft Developer. Besides, I come up with the impossible ideas, he tells me what he needs to make it reality, then I am stuck finding info. Plus, I see that you guys like challenges. Any takers?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: Two way data Xfer via USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tplane37 View Post
Here's an off the wall thought that I would like the assistance of you more...fluent...individuals.

Here's what I have:

-Verizon XV 6800; WM 6.1. ROM: 3.57.605.1 Radio: 3.37.75 PRL: 2.03_002
-Verizon AC595U; USB 'Broadband' Modem. Unlimited internet usage.
-1 Tb external hard drive using a USB connection.

I want to:

A.) Use my AC595U wireless modem for internet access on my Titan (can't get unlimited usage on my Titan, not willing to pay the same company twice for internet).
So you wanna use the wireless model for WiFI access? Thats easy, you just need to know what your encryption keys are in the modem (router). I am assuming by wireless modem you mean router. Remember that the 6800 does 802.11G and although your router may be in mixed mode and can handle both, 802.11g has the potential to do 54+ Mbps whereas 802.11b can do 11+ Mbps. But overall what you have to remember is if you have 1 laptop using G and 1 laptop using B and your 6800 doing G, the fastest data x-fer you will see is 11+ because that one laptop using B will bring the entire network down.

Quote:
B.) Use my external hard drive to run Windows XP Pro. I have a programing buddy who says he can create an emulator to fool XP into thinking that Virtual RAM is RAM, therefore acting as if there is more than the 64 Mb of RAM on the Titan. Basically running a full version of Windows and speeding things up by creating Virtual RAM. Also making the Titan pretty much the smallest PC around instead of it being limited as a Pocket PC when the external drive is connected. Make sense?
No, you re not making sense. Are you wanting the desktop to boot off of the external USB drive? You cant unless your BIOS supports booting from USB devices. Nor can you connect the external HDD to the PPC. So what are you wanting to do again?

Quote:
C.) Use the Titan as normal when all the external gadgets are unhooked.

My buddy tells me that once two way communication is established via the USB from the phone, he can tweak everything. He is a computer Programer and a Microsoft Developer. Besides, I come up with the impossible ideas, he tells me what he needs to make it reality, then I am stuck finding info. Plus, I see that you guys like challenges. Any takers?
He tells you that "once two way communication is established via the USB from the phone, he can tweak everything". First of all, two way communication to what? The PC? You dont need to be connected to the PC to tweak and do reg edits and all the fun stuff. The 6800 is a Windows Mobile device with the same concept of a full PC. There is the OS and registry and file directory paths and everything else. You can use apps to remote access the PC and ext HDD through the 6800 and vice versus. It can be done via WiFi at home or at work or use cell data to do the same.

Last edited by weedahoe; 01-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37

There is no laptop or desktop unit in this equation. I want to be able to access an external drive or applicatio via USB by hooking the external hard drive, flash drive, or the USM modem directly to my Titan.

I am already able to plug any USB device directly in to my phone as we speak....I just haven't been able to get the phone to recognized anything. Basically, I need a Windows Driver for a USB (non-2.0 or 2.0) that is also Pocket PC/Windows Mobile compatible.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

As far as I know, what you are wanting to do is not possible. The HTC extUSB port on the Titan does not support USB Host, meaning there is no "Host Controller" like there would be on a desktop or notebook PC allowing it to be a host to USB devices like Flash Drives or Hard Drives or Broadband Modems. The phone can only act as a USB client (i.e. when you connect to your PC to sync).
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Those were my original thoughts as well, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt there was a way. Especially after reading the ReadMe file of here: http://freewareppc.com/download/util...gedriver.shtml the older PPC's had Drivers for the USB and there were a couple of edits in RegEdit that had to be tweaked. I don't know if anyone can use the file at that link as a basis for tweaking to the Titan. (Still not quite sure how that works.)

As far as the physical connection, I have the following components:

Male USB (a)-to-Male USB (b);
Female USB (a)-Female USB (a)

Obviously, the USB (b) is for the Titan end, and with the femamle to female adapter I can plug any standard USB in. Both adapters are 2.0 capible, thought I don't think it would be required since I highly doubt the port on the Titan is a 2.0 port.

As for powering the USB devices (which some of you who are actually considering the possibilities prior to posting have surely asked yourself about), I have yet another adapter. Instead of using a typical USB hub, I have a USB (a) 'Y' splitter (2-to-1) which allows me to power a USB (a) device with my Titans charger either in the house, in the truck, or via a USB capible automotive power inverter.

I don't agree with the "impossible" mentality...very difficult, I may accept...but the words "impossible" and "can't" are not in my daily vocabulary. While I am not as educated yet as I would like to be on the PPC subject, there are people here and on other sites that I have seen helping out here, that are in fact very knowledgible and resouceful on the subject. And I am sure that someone here has the same mentality as me, and enjoys the challenge of putting their well earned knowledge to use in situations such as this. Just think of the possibilities if our Titans can be USB Hosts.......
Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul>TP2>Huawei Ascend Android 2.1
Carrier: Sprint, MetroPCS

bluegerman is a n00b

I don't think the WiMo USB ports in our cellphones (in this case the mini USB ports), have the circuitry to be a 'Host'. Personal Computers have the circuitry and the software to host USB devices. If WiMo devices do not have the circuitry, trying to tweek WiMo OS will not make any difference. Most devices were not born to host.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Let me assure you that trying to connect an external HDD via USB to the PPC directly and it working is impossible as you have aready been advised. Keep in mind that while this is a "PPC" it does have its hardware limitations. If you wanna be able to access and transfer files from that external HDD w/o a PC in the middle you can so like I do and I will tell you how. I do not have a USB external HDD but a networked ethernet (NAS) 1Tb HDD. Because it is connected to my router and not the PC it is given its own IP. Through the manufactures software with the HDD I can remote access the HDD without having a PC turned on or even connected. Through my remote accessing software on my PPC called Z2 Remote2PC I can remote access any of my PCs or external HDDs.

Here is the external NAS HDD I have here but when you are looking at the pics and see the USB port in the back, dont get any funky ideas because that is only used for linking 1 HDD to another to 'double' the size of a drive.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Okay, temporary change of direction in my train of thought. Sounds like Networking the External HD will be a much simpler method.

Who makes a WiFi Router that I can use my AC595U for internet access? (For those that don't know, the AC595U is a Verizon Air Card that plugs in using a USB connection). Will this router accept the External HD without a PC being on the network?

I have a feeling theat I am going to have dig my desktop PC back out of the closet and set it up as the main server in the house for all the massive storage and to be able to access things away from home. And also set up a similar server in my truck to keep WiFi access with me. So the Wifi router that would accept an Air Card would be getting installed in the truck, quite possibly with one of my laptops if it comes down to it (though I would like to avoid having to install a laptop in the truck). Preferably capible of data encryption/secure server settings. In addtion to the Air Card WiFi access, what is a recommended signal booster (fairly small in physical dimensions) to tag onto the system to boot the range?

And yes, I'm nuts. And I am very determined to hang onto the Unlimited Internet Access that I have on the AC595U. I tend to build complex systems in my vehicles once I have gathered all the needed information .
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Okay, temporary change of direction in my train of thought. Sounds like Networking the External HD will be a much simpler method.
Keep in mind you cant truely network a USB HDD but you can share it and give certain read/write permissions

Quote:
Who makes a WiFi Router that I can use my AC595U for internet access? (For those that don't know, the AC595U is a Verizon Air Card that plugs in using a USB connection). Will this router accept the External HD without a PC being on the network?
I dont know of any hardware based devices that will accept a USB WiFI card and provide WiFi to other devices. All routers I can think of are either RJ45 or coax on the WAN ports. No router I know of will accept a USB HDD either.

Quote:
I have a feeling theat I am going to have dig my desktop PC back out of the closet and set it up as the main server in the house for all the massive storage and to be able to access things away from home. And also set up a similar server in my truck to keep WiFi access with me. So the Wifi router that would accept an Air Card would be getting installed in the truck, quite possibly with one of my laptops if it comes down to it (though I would like to avoid having to install a laptop in the truck). Preferably capible of data encryption/secure server settings. In addtion to the Air Card WiFi access, what is a recommended signal booster (fairly small in physical dimensions) to tag onto the system to boot the range?
Yes you will need to set up a PC in the house, connect the USB HDD to it, share it and enable NetBIOS, make sure XP/Vista firewall is set for those ports to be open and no third party firewalls are blocking, make sure you either have a Static IP or if it is Dynamic you setup a DNS name through something like No-IP. If you are thinking of installing a router in the truck keep in mind you will need a power invertor.

Quote:
And yes, I'm nuts. And I am very determined to hang onto the Unlimited Internet Access that I have on the AC595U. I tend to build complex systems in my vehicles once I have gathered all the needed information .
What you are trying to do cvan be done but not in the ways or ideas you are coming up with. Like I said, hook up the PC, connected the USB HDD to it, share it and setup a FTP, setup a Domina name it you want or need, get a remote accessing client on the phone and then you can remote access and transfer files if you want.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

I googled "AC595U router" and the second result was this http://www.topglobalusa.com/product2...ssid=102103102 it is a router that supports usb and pcmia wireless modems without the need for drivers it has wireless and 4 wired ethernet ports on it as well. My suggestion for you is to get this router and then get a usb extension cord long enough to mount the data card in a spot on your truck by the back window or hogh up on the front window so that it will recieve a good signal. If the usb data card has ports for an external antenna just get a good 5-8dbi antenna and mount to it leaving the shortest cable you can from the card to the base of the antenna the longer the pigtail the more signal loss thru the cable so a 10ft pigtail cable would probally loose all of the signal that it gains. The only pics i have seen for it does show a ruber plug on the side that would indicate that it does have a port for an external antenna.

upon looking up the specs i came across this.

USB Port Connectivity form factor is designed for multiple computing devices that are equipped with a Type A USB port, including devices that do not have PCMCIA card slots
2–Way Text Messaging Support (via VZAccess Manager)
Email Access
Removable Battery for Power Boost
Docking Cradle for Fixed Solution
External Antenna Connector
Meets FCC SAR limit. Manufacturer's highest FCC reported SAR 1.240 W/kg. Actual SAR may vary.

Then i found this searching google for 40 bux + shipping.
http://www.antennagear.net/servlet/t...95U-USB/Detail
11dB Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U USB Modem External Antenna

I don't know what your budget for your setup is but to complete what you want for total mobility you can add to the usb hard drive to the router wired to one of the ethernet ports with a
Linksys Network Storage Link NSLU2 NAS server

I have not seen great reviews on the device performance wise but for your setup i don't think you will need that much bandwith and it would complete what you want being able to mount the hard drive to the router having the usb data card plugged into it sharing the cards internet over the routers wifi. For the router and the adapter they run off dc normally 5-12v @ 500 to 1000mah so im sure you could get a dc power supply to just be able to use the trucks dc without the need to get an inverter for the included adapters to transfer back into dc again kinda pointless unless its cheaper for u to get and hard wire an inverter up where you plan on hiding all this equipment.

Sorry for the long post but this will end your searching and maybe free you up from having to have a pc always on connected to the net @ your house just to acess the hdd in your truck from the phone. and or having to hook up a pc/laptop in the truck to share the internet connection off of the card. In the long run if you got these parts it would save you money from not having a pc @ home churning away @ the electricity.

Last edited by gator2k83; 01-16-2009 at 10:37 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan