PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   has sprint bugged anyone about using phone as modem? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52981)

kinesis 01-13-2009 08:03 AM

has sprint bugged anyone about using phone as modem?

anyone gotten hassled by sprint for using your phone as a modem? its quite obvious the stock sprint rom has it disabled as if they dont want you doing it, but i dont think their agreement provisions to be able to charge you extra (they do provision to terminate your agreement at will, however - so I Was just wondering has anyone used this as their main ISP and gotten 'caught' so to speak? or is it pretty undetectable?

or am i completely wrong and they allow it?

Dr.8820 01-13-2009 08:34 AM

Re: has sprint bugged anyone about using phone as modem?

sprint can tell that you use your phone as a modem and will charge you,that's why they charge $15/month for that service.if you are caught,they will slam you with all kinds of charges including .03 cents per kb.

deboy69 01-13-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 636703)
sprint can tell that you use your phone as a modem and will charge you,that's why they charge $15/month for that service.if you are caught,they will slam you with all kinds of charges including .03 cents per kb.

This guy doesnt know what he is talking about. I have used my phone for a year as a PAM. I have used xbox live and played games over my phone's internet and nothing yet (keyword). Make sure you use the registry hack

Madam Macaw 01-14-2009 09:36 AM

I have also used my phone as a modem since I have gotten it. This is through all of the stock roms.

schettj 01-14-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinesis (Post 636684)
I Was just wondering has anyone used this as their main ISP and gotten 'caught' so to speak? or is it pretty undetectable?

or am i completely wrong and they allow it?

Yes, they could tell if they cared. No, they don't seem to care. You'll likely just lose your data service if they every do care.

I would PERSONALLY not use it as my "main ISP" - I do use it rarely when mobile/traveling, but even in that case my usage tethered is not much different then my normal phone-only data.

Reef48 01-14-2009 11:24 AM

I have used it for a couple years now and never been charged or hasseled.

rstoyguy 01-14-2009 11:30 AM

I called em once and asked if they could tell. They said yes. Even with the "hacks" and PDANet. The problem is, if they were to start actively seeking out and charging customers that did, well they would lose too many customers to other carriers. I think it will be an industry wide thing one day, when they all decide to start charging. With more and more smartphones out there, there will be a point where it will eventually bogg down there networks and they will feel the desire to charge you. Oh, and they added PAM to my account for $0. 3rd party account. :)

JAVIERBOND007 01-14-2009 11:39 AM

I have use phone as a modem for couple years now, i never seen extra chargers on my bill..

Geekcop 01-14-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deboy69 (Post 637001)
This guy doesnt know what he is talking about. I have used my phone for a year as a PAM. I have used xbox live and played games over my phone's internet and nothing yet (keyword). Make sure you use the registry hack

Gee, I think someone with 482 posts might have some idea what he's talking about, as opposed to someone with say, 14 posts

bluegerman 01-16-2009 05:48 AM

I have been using Phone as modem for over a year, with no extra charges.