PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Connect the 6800 to your car? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52654)

devicemanager 01-10-2009 05:33 PM

Connect the 6800 to your car?

I am this | | close to buying an iPod touch to listen to music in the car. But I already have the greatest cell phone to man with an 8gb chip in it. If I put my music on the phone - is there an adapter that I can use to hook it to my car. I have a stock system right now and they must have some kind of head phone jack converter - no?

jimnutt 01-10-2009 06:39 PM

Re: Connect the 6800 to your car?

I use a Jabra BT3030 headphone adapter and just plug a cassette adapter (or direct into the aux in if you have it) into it. Works a treat and is good for hands free use too. The Jabra unit is a little pendant type thingy that you plug a set of headphones (or other 3.5mm stereo jack) into. I think it was $65 at the verizon store, I'm sure you can probably find it cheaper.

stroths 01-10-2009 06:53 PM

If you don't have a tape deck or an aux in jack, you can install a FM modulator. My wife's car didn't have any type of aux in and she refused to replace it with an aftermarket.

I installed one that is completely hidden in the dash and injects its signal directly into the antenna port on the radio. There is a difference between an FM transmitter and one of these. I am no audiophile, but its sounds perfectly fine and as good as the radio stations.

Here is the one I got - LINK

ltrevino101 01-10-2009 07:07 PM

actually i dont know if its too much of a hassle, but i got a clarion bluetooth ready stereo deck. no cd, no fanciness, a simple sd card or a direct link to the windows media player. which works with such ease and such good quality.

devicemanager 01-10-2009 10:37 PM

Thanks for the replys - I wasn't getting the email notifications. I like the idea of the fm modulator as I am using one right now for the S100 for SiriusXM. But I do want to replace the head unit this year with something special. Is there a way I can hook the phone directly to the radio. Sometimes those fm mod don't sound so good?

Any other ideas?

og style 01-11-2009 02:19 AM

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet?
http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=217
It is a fm transmiter that plugs into htc phones. It also has a built in microphone. The unit will mute the music so you can take call through the radio. hand free.

MrObvious 01-11-2009 02:20 AM

You can get something from moguldepot.com for an Aux out.

jerryyyyy 01-11-2009 12:07 PM

I use the ProClip mount (expensive) for my car plus the Sony cassette connection. I have an older SUV [ML320 1998] with a cassette player. The Proclip charges the phone and also has an output for the cassette. I think the cassette audio is better than an FM connection, which I tried and you have to change frequencies as you drive around and it is basically scratchy. If you use headphone (BT) none of this is a problem, but I do not like to drive with headphones all the time.

I do have to agree that all this crummy set of ad hoc connections make the iPhone attractive if you have a car with an iPod attachment. I just cannot function (tether etc,) with an iPhone. Furthermore, with the latest WMP codecs I get extremely high quality sound from this set up and headphones... BT also very good followed by cassette then FM. I do not have all the technical details on the cassette and it probably depends on what head unit you have in your car. I believe mine comes through as Dolby Digital OK.

brettokok 01-11-2009 12:36 PM

my head unit has a few rca inputs on the back. I got a cord from best buy that is rca to 3.5mm headphone. I stuffed the long cord in my ash tray since i dont smoke and if i want to plug the phone or any other headphone device in i just open the ash tray and theres the cord. sometimes use a splitter so i can charge at the same time so i dont waste all my battery on a road trip.

kenshinvt 01-11-2009 12:36 PM

I just wanted to add that you should stay away from FM transmitters--they are garbage. The poster who mentioned an in-line one sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of those before, and that would probably solve the biggest problem of interference and a lack of adequate broadcast power.

That said, if you are going to get behind the dash to do something like that, why not just consider an aftermarket head unit? If you haven't shopped for one in awhile, you'd be suprised at how cheap they've gotten. Mp3-capable ones with direct front-facing USB ports are under 100 now (e.g., see http://sector29.com/PRODUCT_PAGES/263/263-BOS735UA.html from a quick search). Many of those also have bonus features like HD Radio (if your service area provides it--mine does). I hear the DUAL brand line are exceptional for things like that (fairly cheap for bluetooth, usb in, hd radio). Something to think about.