PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   GPS Software NOT $100 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52257)

NorskeDivision 01-07-2009 07:00 PM

GPS Software NOT $100

Hi,
I'd like some nice GPS software, but this stuff is expensive. All of them (Garmin, iGuidance) want $100? Seems expensive as hell just for software given that I can get a hardware GPS for $100.

Any links or a place where I can LEGALLY get GPS software for a reasonable (~$50) price for my Titan (Verizon XV6800). Due to my profession I really can't be using illeagal software...

PDAPhoneJunkie 01-07-2009 07:36 PM

Re: GPS Software NOT $100

It wouldn't be "using illegal software". It just would be illegal how you got it... Anyhow, I like Google Maps. It's free and street view is great.

NorskeDivision 01-07-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie (Post 625064)
It wouldn't be "using illegal software". It just would be illegal how you got it...

I know a few people who wish courts would buy that argument :)

Google maps is nice, and if the only other option is $100 software, I'll stick with it. I'd like something which could prompt me with voice when to turn, but I'm not going to pay $100 for that I'd rather just buy a real in dash GPS for that much.

kflipproductions 01-08-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie (Post 625064)
It wouldn't be "using illegal software". It just would be illegal how you got it... Anyhow, I like Google Maps. It's free and street view is great.

im gunna have to agree. plus, theres nothing like downloading the app, registering it, getting a 'thank you for your support' message, and smiling to yourself inside..

anyways, i'm not really sure what profession checks your cell phone to see if you have any "illegal software" (like anybody can tell), but your best bet would probably be to check eBay and other online auctions for registration codes for what you want to buy, instead of the entire software package itself. I used to do that back in the day when I paid for stuff. Amazon.com normally has good deals too.

Hafrust 01-08-2009 10:43 AM

Amaze gps is free.

bobo1510 01-08-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorskeDivision (Post 625009)

Due to my profession I really can't be using illeagal software...

He's a COP RUN!

But really, I second the amAze software, it seems ok. But I just downloaded it last night. Haven't had much experience with it.

It does have spoken directions also.

demonlordoftheround 01-08-2009 11:00 AM

GPSToday is a nice small today plugin. Does not do turn by turn though.

elmerfudpucker 01-08-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo1510 (Post 626280)
He's a COP RUN!!

*Out the back door...over the fence.....thru the next yard* :spin:

jk.. I think Ill give that a shot.

NorskeDivision 01-08-2009 05:49 PM

Well I'm in the business often of auditing and defending companies who of course did not "intentionally" pirate software, so uh lets just say I really don't want to even have the chance of using any such software myself given that it's my job to make sure others aren't...

I'm not really finding much on eBay so I might just stick with that free GPS program you linked, thanks.

NeoMatrixJR 01-09-2009 12:10 PM

Microsoft Live Search is great. Last time I tried google maps, it mapped the route and showed your position, but if you left the route it didn't re-route or even notify you. MSLS dings (can't find any free gps w/ voice nav...gotta pay for those) when you are near turns, when you complete turns, and asks to re-route you if you go off course.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and it does have voice enabled searching, so you don't have to type in locations.... Also has local gas prices, category search (i.e. restaurant->pizza, etc)....