PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

KingGanon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to KingGanon
Question about GPS?

quick question. i wanted to know, do you still have to have a bluetooth receiver to use the gps features on the Mogul?

Check Out GameFly

RIP Sprint Mogul: 3/3/08
Hello Sprint Touch
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
boe
Almost a VIP

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes

In case anyone wants to chime in about it having GPS, a-gps, a gps, full gps, listed as being gps ready... - It does not work as a standalong GPS, you need to buy the telenav program monthly subscription. There are many nearly identical threads on various forums and they just seem to go on and on about the 6800's GPS - not one of the posts says yes, they got it to work - just people arguing about listed specs - not anyone who actually has the phone and got it to work though.

If you want to use the GPS on the 6800 currently iguidance, google maps live search, tom tom, etc will not work without buying a GPS unit like a BT Sirf III unit. You can also pay a $10 fee monthly to Sprint for their telenav service.

I'm just posting this long response so we don't get 20 posts of arguments of but I thought it said....
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KingGanon is a n00b
so if i do get telenav, then i don't need the receiver?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 AM
boe
Almost a VIP

That's right the agps chip on the phone is sufficient for them to triangulate your location and you use their NAV software to find your route. I"m not positive on the pricing for each person but I believe the common price thrown out is $10 per month.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KingGanon is a n00b
yea its 10 a month plus internet, the way sprint describes it to us is that u have to have the internet package to use telenav, or else u get banged with the usage, or u can get the $20 navigation pack.

but thats good to know cause now i can finally use my telenav on the 6800.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Lurker

nickmford is a n00b
Has anyone actually gotten a gps program to map their location? I know that google maps searches for satellites but then says there is a gps error after a few minutes. Downloading telenav for the 6700 says it cannot find a gps reciever as well. I don't see a way of making the crippled gps reciever do anything on the Mogul at this point, but I sure would like something even if its 10/month. If not theres always the bb8830 next month =/
Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

flipside is a n00b
For the gazzinionth time.. The internal GPS does not work with anything at this point except the sprint family locater. Not even telenav works.. I talked with he telenav people and they said it's not ready for the 6800 yet.

Telenav DOES work with an external BT GPS as does TOMTOM6.

But remember, if you use telenav, if you don't have a signal, you don't have maps.

I'm currently using TT6 with the Holux m-1000 BT GPS and it works great!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

NightWinggl@gmail.com is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to NightWinggl@gmail.com
So I hate to bug on this one, but I'm still confused. But please understand this is the only feature I want/care about on a new phone if I'm to upgrade off the 6700/apache, because I don't understand the idea of buying a near $600 phone that is missing a featyure you can get on one of the $150 phones.

So here are my questions:

1. Is GPS via telenav is availble on the 6800 with out the use of a bluetooth gps receiver? (I don't care about the dumb $10 charge, it gets waived my account)

2. Are there any other programs that might work with the phone's GPS? Can you download any Java apps from Sprint besides Telenav that run on the phone, like Garmin mobile? (love this app on my older Sanyo phones)

3. Has anyone done this, and can they prove it with pics?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
boe
Almost a VIP

To clear it up - if you WANT the 6800 and WANT GPS navigation without using an external GPS unit, you have to use Telenav. Sprint will be supporting Telenav for a $10 monthly fee - no other apps work without using an external GPS unit. You have to pay Sprint or Verizon a monthly fee to use the GPS on board - they made sure it was limited so they could get a monthly fee from you otherwise they could have had a full GPS on board.

If you want a Phone that works with TomTom, iguidance, google, live search without using an external GPS unit (seperate from the phone) you need to get an X800, or another phone than those offered by Sprint or Verizon.

Pretty sure that explanation doesn't leave any wiggle room - ONLY TELENAV will take advantage of the limited A-GPS chip in the 6800 - there are NO OTHER APPLICATIONS besides Telenav that work without buying a seperate GPS unit for the 6800.

NO ONE has found away around this PERIOD.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

flipside is a n00b
And for the record.. Telenav does not work YET for the 6800, but they're working on it...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan