PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Lurker

kenshinvt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon won't add Alltel ESN - help!

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get my Alltel PPC6800 ESN added to verizon's database. The phone is flashed with DCD + VZW carrier cab and otherwise ready to go (still will need to do all the other network settings later on).

Before anyone mentions searching -- I've read all the previous threads. Every step or suggestion involves simply asking customer support to add the ESN with mentions of being "persistent" or otherwise talking about the process like its no big deal.

Here is what I've done so far -
- attempted activating on the website: gives "invalid ESN" error
- 1st call - Tech said there was an error. Admitted it was an Alltel phone when I was asked. Came back from hold w/ manager and said she can't help, sorry, we don't add non-VZW phones.
- Online customer chat - talked to a rep, lied and told him it was a verizon phone this time, he said he can't add ESN but will add note to my account saying it needs to be added
- 2nd call - told tech there is a note on my account to add ESN; she tried and said she can't add ESNs to their database, nor can any of their reps. Said to visit a store (she was clueless as to what to do, but very nice about it)

So what's the deal? Has everyone else just gotten lucky in finding reps that are both willing and able to add ESNs?

Also, speaking of the past threads, many of those were created around the time of the VZW open network policy announcement. Has that policy had no real effect or meaning? I would think that even if they knew it was another carrier's CDMA phone, it shouldn't be a problem to have it taken added. Especially since in my case it's a phone from a company that they just bought!

So does anyone have any strategies or suggestions that add a new approach? I know you can do that three week activation form submission, but getting the ESN added really isn't worth a month of my time and shipping costs--especially since it sounds like some people have been rejected after doing that! I might as well just buy a VX6800 off ebay to save the hassle. TIA!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700 and 6800
Carrier: Alltel

gnineorknad is a n00b
Re: Verizon won't add Alltel ESN - help!

This is strange since Verizon and Alltel are one in the same now!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

kdj67f is becoming a great contributor

If the phone is deactivated from alltell and esn is clear, try manually loading a VZW PRL and dialing *228 and choose option 3. It will ask for your phone number and to verify your account info. This is how I got a sprint touch pro on vzw first try. It should work for any foreign ESN device, as long as it has a vzw PRL loaded so it will try to authenticate on the proper network.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44663 Is a link to the thread about getting a sprint touch pro on verizon. I think the Verizon PRI updates for the Titan could be applied to get working GPS, so Only try to load stuff like the PRL out of that thread.

Last edited by kdj67f; 12-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

just call vzn back and tell them you want the ESN added to there DMD and the phone has been flashed to vzn. i have an alltel 6800 and its on vzn as we speak.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdj67f View Post
If the phone is deactivated from alltell and esn is clear, try manually loading a VZW PRL and dialing *228 and choose option 3. It will ask for your phone number and to verify your account info. This is how I got a sprint touch pro on vzw first try. It should work for any foreign ESN device, as long as it has a vzw PRL loaded so it will try to authenticate on the proper network.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44663 Is a link to the thread about getting a sprint touch pro on verizon. I think the Verizon PRI updates for the Titan could be applied to get working GPS, so Only try to load stuff like the PRL out of that thread.
I see.. so I manually put in a different Preferred Roaming List and this lets me access verizon towers.. then I can go through some sort of automated ESN adding process (*228 opt 3) that doesn't check if the ESN is in their database? Is that the logic behind your instructions?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
just call vzn back and tell them you want the ESN added to there DMD and the phone has been flashed to vzn. i have an alltel 6800 and its on vzn as we speak.
I told the first rep that my alltel phone was running VZW software.. no dice. Did you just call up and say that and they said they would do it? What timeframe was this--was it recent?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinvt View Post
I see.. so I manually put in a different Preferred Roaming List and this lets me access verizon towers.. then I can go through some sort of automated ESN adding process (*228 opt 3) that doesn't check if the ESN is in their database? Is that the logic behind your instructions?
Yes. I have a sprint touch pro on verizon. Granted, some of those instructions may need to be modified for the titan, but the basic idea should work. It is worth a try, is it not? I never called tech support once when converting my Touch Pro.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i started using my alltel 6800 end of oct. called and asked to have the ESN added and was told it would take 7-10 days. never got a call back about it but went to vznonline and just tried to activate it and it went through.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kenshinvt is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdj67f View Post
Yes. I have a sprint touch pro on verizon. Granted, some of those instructions may need to be modified for the titan, but the basic idea should work. It is worth a try, is it not? I never called tech support once when converting my Touch Pro.
You ROCK! thanks for the suggestion. My phone is now successfully on VZW.. I just did the *228 opt 2 roaming update after the opt 3 and placed a successful call.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinvt View Post
You ROCK! thanks for the suggestion. My phone is now successfully on VZW.. I just did the *228 opt 2 roaming update after the opt 3 and placed a successful call.
Glad it worked for you man! Let us know if you get EVDO data working. I had to do a few tricks to reactivate my titan when my touch pro broke.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan