PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Lurker

Mufasa is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Goodlink on the Mogul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrvic
Anybody able to get Goodlink to Install? Kind of odd they included the icon for it in the rom and it doesn't seem to support it. I tried to do an OTA install of the PPC5 version and it tells me the following :

good messaging is not supported for the carrier: sprint pcs

I did try the reg edit to change the carrier name, I changed it just to Sprint and it still picks up Sprint PCS. Anybody have any ideas? or gotten it to work?
I have tried so far and have only had limited progress. The first thing I note is that the carrier name is Sprint<SPACE>PCS<SPACE><SPACE> on the PPC-6800 (Mogul). I have looked at the setup binary and it looks like they have a list of supported providers listed. This tells me the carrier check failure is occurring on the phone side not the server side--its just goofy you have to enter your pin for it to say this. I too tried the reg hack but not only does it not persist across reboots, but it also isn't used at all by Goodlink. You can check how GoodLink sees the carrier string without the pin by using Options, Handheld Information in the GoodLink setup. In theory if we can change the phone's carrier to say a supported carrier name listed in the setup binary in a way that GoodLink will use, we can install and it may not check the carrier ever again. Sprint is in the list of carriers, but not the way the Mogul shows it.

I've also tried editing in the Mogul carrier string into the binary but unfortunately don't think I'll get far since the binary is signed and detects its been tampered with.

Guess its the waiting game. I think the carrier name, as used by GoodLink, is probably going to be in a provider password protected programming area. Wasn't able to find any memory editing programs for PPC either (start the setup, edit the strings of providers in memory to match the Mogul).

Only if I had known that GoodLink wasn't quite supported yet before I stopped using it on my PPC-6700...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

caimakale is a n00b
I found this over on pdaphonehome. It's the PDA download link for the beta version (version 5) of Goodlink. I downloaded it and started installing but ran into a problem. I entered my email address and passkey, and it started installing, that's when I got the error that said my email address was already associated with another device. Because of this I don't know how or if this will work if your server is still running version 4.#.#. If anyone is willing to give it a shot, please post your results back here. In the meantime I will try to get my IT department to remove the association my email has with my old 6600.

Here is the link to go to on your mogul: get.good.com/gmm50/beta

Let us know how it works!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

letsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good workletsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers81
I tried the beta and eventually uninstalled it. It will only work if I start the Good Launcher when connected to Verizon and it slows my Mogul down to a crawl. I think I'll wait for the official release.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP

aughsum is a n00b
i thought the employer had to be running a gl5 server for this to work?

wouldnt imagine any companies will do that until an official release?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Lurker

Mufasa is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by aughsum
I'm thinking you may be right about this. On my Mogul, I got farther using the beta since it let me choose my carrier from a drop down (instead of failing out saying it wasn't supported), but I think GoodLink 5 support may need to be server side. The setup gets to towards the very end and stays "Downloading Services" 0% forever--even across retrys/reboots. I'm suspecting the version 5 service files need to be on the GoodLink server for your company.

Guess its back to the waiting game unless we can figure a way to get the older version to work.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker

letsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good workletsgoflyers81 is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by aughsum
I'm thinking you may be right about this. On my Mogul, I got farther using the beta since it let me choose my carrier from a drop down (instead of failing out saying it wasn't supported), but I think GoodLink 5 support may need to be server side. The setup gets to towards the very end and stays "Downloading Services" 0% forever--even across retrys/reboots. I'm suspecting the version 5 service files need to be on the GoodLink server for your company.

Guess its back to the waiting game unless we can figure a way to get the older version to work.
Try forcing your Mogul to roam, then install again and it should work. This is what let me finish the installation, but like I said in my previous post you always have to be roaming when you start the Good Launcher and even then it's pretty buggy.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Lurker

Mufasa is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
Try forcing your Mogul to roam, then install again and it should work. This is what let me finish the installation, but like I said in my previous post you always have to be roaming when you start the Good Launcher and even then it's pretty buggy.
Hmmm. This poses several questions...

How do you force roaming? Take a very long trip out of your service area?

In the times I have roamed, I get the error that data connections can't be established while roaming. Is there a registry hack required to enable data roaming?

Does this require a factory reset of the phone to try again after getting to the hung "downloading services" state? I noticed when I uninstall and re-install, I am no longer prompted for my provider.

When you did this, what carrier was providing your roaming coverage on your Mogul? Its possible that carriers have certain profiles and Sprint's profile is incompatible with the Mogul's configuration?

I tried forcing a non-Sprint data connection just in case the reason this worked for you is because Sprint is doing some DNS or routing trickery... I had the same "downloading services" hang when I performed the setup using my home WiFi connection instead of Sprint's data connection. Its not quite a roaming test, but I'm unsure of a good way to force data roaming.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa
Quote:
Hmmm. This poses several questions...

How do you force roaming? Take a very long trip out of your service area?

In the times I have roamed, I get the error that data connections can't be established while roaming. Is there a registry hack required to enable data roaming?

Does this require a factory reset of the phone to try again after getting to the hung "downloading services" state? I noticed when I uninstall and re-install, I am no longer prompted for my provider.

When you did this, what carrier was providing your roaming coverage on your Mogul? Its possible that carriers have certain profiles and Sprint's profile is incompatible with the Mogul's configuration?

I tried forcing a non-Sprint data connection just in case the reason this worked for you is because Sprint is doing some DNS or routing trickery... I had the same "downloading services" hang when I performed the setup using my home WiFi connection instead of Sprint's data connection. Its not quite a roaming test, but I'm unsure of a good way to force data roaming.
You can come to my house, that'll force roaming.

Or... go to Settings, Phone, Services, Roaming. You can set it to Sprint Only, Automatic, and Roaming Only. For data while roaming, check the box to Allow roaming and you can set it to Never ask so it won't warn you before data roaming.

You shouldn't need to do a hard reset, just try uninstalling Good completely and then install again from scratch. Make sure you're roaming during the installation and it should install the services for you.

The Mogul won't display what carrier you're roaming onto. The Operator name is just blank. In my area I'm pretty sure I'll only roam on Verizon but that could vary depending on where you live and your PRL.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Lurker

Mufasa is a n00b
Quote:
Or... go to Settings, Phone, Services, Roaming. You can set it to Sprint Only, Automatic, and Roaming Only. For data while roaming, check the box to Allow roaming and you can set it to Never ask so it won't warn you before data roaming.

You shouldn't need to do a hard reset, just try uninstalling Good completely and then install again from scratch. Make sure you're roaming during the installation and it should install the services for you.
Hmmm... Well I think I might be able to get further at home where I can use a combination of WiFi and roaming. I was able to roam, however, the call to #777 fails. If I am indeed roaming on Verizon (which I think is likely), I think it required a different dialing configuration. When it tries to dial and establish a data connection while roaming I get this error:

Code:
Cannot connect for an unknown reason.  To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap Settings.  If the problem continues, reset your mobile device according to your manufacturer's documentation and try again.
I was pleased to see that my carrier string, as shown in GoodLinks "handheld information" section was indeed blank. Maybe that string being blank and having a data connection could be the key to getting this to work. Guess I'll find out when I get home.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Lurker

Mufasa is a n00b
Thank you! I finally made it through the beta install when I got home. It actually had no problems connecting to #777 at home. I proceeded with the re-install however, the system somehow changed my PDA password and I got locked out of the device (and a reboot caused it not to even load the OS fully). I did a hard reset and proceeded to install the beta off my memory card while roaming and it worked fine. So nice to be getting instant work e-mails again!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan