PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mogul as a universal TV remote? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51188)

atropos333 12-30-2008 08:54 PM

Mogul as a universal TV remote?

So, lately I've been reviewing the Mogul and all the cool stuff it can do, and have been trying to find more nifty stuff to do with it. It occurred to me that the Mogul has an IR radio, and I don't think I know of anyone who uses this (I don't think anyone I know has had IR on their PC).

Anyway, I started to wonder, is there anything out there that would let you use your Mogul as a universal TV remote? Like, could I appear to be futzing with my phone and actually be screwing with the entire TV display at Best Buy? Or, better yet, change the TVs in the lobby at work off of Fox News even though they hide the remotes?

I'm just thinking using my phone to mess with TVs could be pretty hilarious, and wondered if anyone knows how to do this.

apacho01 12-30-2008 09:03 PM

Re: Mogul as a universal TV remote?

Try searching "Infrared Remote". I just pulled 5 or 6 different threads already talking about these apps.

HERE IS ONE
AND ANOTHER

atropos333 12-30-2008 09:08 PM

Ahhh, many thanks. I'd been searching for 'TV' and 'TV remote' and coming up empty.

atropos333 12-31-2008 12:24 AM

Bump. Unfortunately, my searching of the forums was correct, there aren't any threads discussing a universal remote control solution for the Mogul/Titan. There are threads asking about it, but the ones I could find ended in a hoax (someone claiming they had universal remote working on there phone, and posting bs files that might have had viruses/spyware).

So, I thought I'd go ahead and start a new thread on this because a lot of people are very curious about this (I know me and my friend Paypal have beer money for a solution), and the old thread is confusing because of the hoax.

So, anyone have any luck finding a program that works?

Hafrust 12-31-2008 12:27 AM

There isn't one.

MikeElGiga23 12-31-2008 01:31 AM

there is one, Vito Remote. but the ir port isnt strong enough on the mogul to beam the signal effectively to use it as a everyday remote

weedahoe 12-31-2008 11:08 AM

There are threads on it because I commented on them in the past, yes there are apps out there and yes they all suck. Its a nice thing to try but not practical to use or keep.

atropos333 12-31-2008 04:23 PM

I agree that it almost certainly would not be useful enough to serve as any kind of remote for a TV that you use regularly.

That being said, I think enough people like the notion of surreptitiously messing with TVs, or changing TVs at work where they hide the remotes (I hate Fox News); or just generally for the fun of making your phone do something quirky and neat that it isn't really supposed to do. It's just fun.

I haven't seen other threads talking about Vito Remote working on the Mogul. I'll give it a try and see if it does work (even if it only works weakly), and post back.

darren.wlsn1 12-31-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripdub1 (Post 609486)
There isn't one.

yes sir there is, had the app. on my 6900 and got the app. from a freeware site. wish i could remember the name. ill try to google it.

demonlordoftheround 12-31-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 610676)
yes sir there is, had the app. on my 6900 and got the app. from a freeware site. wish i could remember the name. ill try to google it.

Here is a freeware site: http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...codes-1-1.html