PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800 Mogul, HTC TouchPro, Samsung Instinct
Carrier: sprint

burrito is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy New here, new to Windows Mobile OS...Help!

Hi everybody,
well i'm two weeks into using my htc mogul and i'm not as confused as i was in the beginning, but then again, i'm more confused than i was in the beginning! my story--i've had a mac for forever, but i use my sister's pc a few times a month, but just using internet,etc. and... the only other smartphone i had was a palm centro. maybe you can understand why i have....lots of questions.

i'm trying to understand the windows mobile OS, but there's so much i just can't grasp. here's a question for you all - what things are, for the windows "baby", absolute necessities to understand about this OS? Registry...start menu, short cuts.

i hope it's okay to ask some questions in this thread.

Internet Explorer was fine, but now that i've used it a while and have added some apps, it's freezing up right away. i'm using Opera 9 instead and that's working well. I also tried Net Front and Skyfire. I like them both, too. Can anyone explain what's up with Internet Explorer freezing? Is it something I need to do with settings?

I have Sprint Music Store that came with the phone. too bad the sound is so bad on this phone! that's my biggest disappointment in the phone. I used it once, and after that, I cannot use it anymore. The store launches okay, but if i try to preview anything, nothing plays. INstead, I get an M508 which is a mystery to me.

I guess the Music Store is a java app, cause it's with I the java version of Opera mini installed on the phone (it came installed). I don't use this opera mini, is it okay to uninstall it? And, how do I uninstall it? It's not among the "Remove Add Program" app, and I haven't been able to find/uninstall it using MemoryMaid or Pocket Mechanic.

Which brings me to another question, are these good applications? Is there anything you'd recommend over these for utilities? I like them because they're so user friendly.

Is there a stand alone uninstaller application you'd recommend for me? If the music store isn't working and i don't need operamini, i'd like to uninstall them, as well as some other programs i'll never use, like Excel.

I seem to be missing some apps that i installed. they were in the Programs file on my Device, but a couple of them just disappeared. When i searched, i found only the .cab files and had to reinstall? i wonder what i did???

Picture mail is kind of not working. I can't send pix via Messaging, but can send pix using my gmail account. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

These are just the first few questions I have, there are more where these came from, and i'm sure more are just around the next corner! I'd really appreciate your help, I need your help...

oh, one more thing....my bluetooth file exchange doesn't work with my Mac, but i found a work around with this thing called airshare.

the disk that came with the mogul isn't compatible with my mac, so i am not sure what i'm missing, and if it's something i should know. i think it's regarding Office?

thanks so much for taking time to read all my questions. they probably sound real lame to most of you so thanks for putting up with me! i look forward to learning from you all.

carrie
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

FaithOmitted is just getting started
Re: New here, new to Windows Mobile OS...Help!

Do some searches around the site. For one, you can't do MMS on the Mogul without downloading a program. You probably installed something to your card instead of the device if you're having issues finding anything. Also, you should go to the HTC site and download the latest ROM to make sure everything else is running smoothly. The rest of your questions can be answered with a quick search at the top of the page.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800 Mogul, HTC TouchPro, Samsung Instinct
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

burrito is a n00b
Question Re: New here, new to Windows Mobile OS...Help!

hi and thanks for your answer! However, i'm a bit confused reading this :
Quote:
For one, you can't do MMS on the Mogul without downloading a program
--I didn't mention I was having trouble texting...(at least I don't think I did! sorry if there's confusion) I did not have to download any program, as Messaging came with the Mogul out of the box. What I did mention was that I couldn't launch or send picture mail from or with Messaging. I can, however do this using my gmail account. With the other phones I've had, picture mail was nicely integrated with MMS/texting...so far that's not been my experience with my mogul.
Thank you for taking the time to write.

Carrie
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito View Post
With the other phones I've had, picture mail was nicely integrated with MMS/texting...so far that's not been my experience with my mogul.
Welcome to Windows Mobile, that ain't gonna happen so easily now. Reason why you can send from gmail, is because gmail is an email account. Without using an email account to send MMS(pics&vids), you would have to find an alternative. Now, as previously posted, you have to install programs to send picture mail, like it was, "nicely integrated with MMS". I suggest sMMS or the free Sprint picture mail thing from softwarestore.sprint.com
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

welcome here, some reason i want taco bell now. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Welcome to the site. If you are using a mac then just forget about the disk, it has sync software for pc's.

Unfortunately picture mail is not integrated into the mogul. I would also recommend SMMS by SomeGuy. Very easy interface and it works unlike the Sprint picturemail application. You will need a picturemail account setup first and it is free. A full version is available for a small donation.

Your Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) problems may be related to Opera. I tried using Opera but found it too klunky and use Skyfire instead. PIE works good for mobile web pages, but looks nothing like desktop versions of web pages.

Eventually you will run into having to do a hard reset on the device, so get a backup program like pimbackup or sprite for your contacts, texts, e-mails, etc. Get a higher capacity microsd card and keep important pictures, cab files, etc there.

In general programs work better when installed to the device rather than the storage card, but there is only so much you can store on the device.

Read, search the forums and enjoy you new mogul.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamonds On My Damn Chain
Carrier: Still With Sprint

nelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

All My Opinion

IE could be caused by Opera Mobile. When Opera is installed, It sets itself to be the default browser. There is a regedit to fix this I beleive somewhere on this site. Just do a simple search!

Opera vs. Skyfire:

Opera is a very good and fast browser. I really like the functionality of it and the user friendlyness.
Skyfire is also a very good and fast browser. The functionality is also user friendly but but there is one thing that bothers me; the zoom! When you want to zoom, it zooms on the text and its still too small to read. then you have to double tap again. Also you can stream videos like youtube.com in the browser, with Opera it opens up an application. Over all they both work great but I would suggest Skyfire!

Did you buy the phone used? If so, you might have a custom rom and Opera mini might be cooked into the rom and that is why you cannot uninstall it.

Picture mail:

Ill attach a cab file for the Windows PM from sprint. The reason I like the sprint version is because it is able to send videos as well as pictures. (Not putting anyone elses creations down!)

For the bluetooth file exchange, I believe I read that you have to setup a ftp for it to be able to transfer.

If you have anymore questions, ask or just do a quick simple search!

Welcome to the jungle!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly04 View Post
When Opera is installed, It sets itself to be the default browser. There is a regedit to fix this I beleive somewhere on this site.
I just went into the settings of Opera and unchecked it as default, no reg edit needed
Quote:
Over all they both work great but I would suggest Skyfire!
+1 for Skyfire, but I use both Opera & Skyfire

Quote:
If so, you might have a custom rom and Opera mini might be cooked into the rom and that is why you cannot uninstall it.
So...is your ROM custom or stock??

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
welcome here, some reason i want taco bell now. lol
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Definitely +1 on that one.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
+1!! There are no shortcuts. Lock yourself in the baesment for a weekend with your ppc and pc (locked onto PPCGeeks of course) and your favorite beverage and start reading, etc.

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan