PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 07:59 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've upgraded from the 6700 to the 6800 and so far I'm reasonably happy with the 6800 over the 6700.

Pros

The screen colors and brightness are pretty good.

The speaker is a little better than the 6700

The reception is as good as the 6700 which is better than the Treo's

It runs WM6 so it can display HTML formatted e-mail from an Exchange 2007 server, and you can flag e-mails as well as search your exchange 2007 server for anything throughout your entire mailbox not just what is downloaded to your phone.

The keyboard is easier for me to type on than the smaller Treo keyboard.

The display is larger than the treo display so I can see more calendar events and other information on my today screen and browse the web easier.

The construction seems reasonably good although since it is a little slimmer than the old 6700, the weight difference may give people the impression it isn't as sturdy but I think it is - however the rear battery cover is very flimsy - I imagine HTC will have to sell a lot of replacements to customers.

The larger Lithium Polymer battery helps give you about 20% more life than the previous battery in my opinion. Haven't done an in depth comparison but I'd say that is reasonably accurate.

Comes with 512MB microSD storage in addition to the greater storage capacity build in memory. I think this is a good touch.

Browsing the web is improved as it now supports java natively.

So far no "Dark Screen of Death/DSOD" that was common with the 6700 - required you to remove your storage for the display to turn on (unless you upgraded to AKU 3.5 which wasn't available from Sprint.

CONS

The Bluetooth STILL is bad - blame microsoft -their BT stack isn't as good as widcoms - unfortunately the BT doesn't perform as well as the WM5 AKU3.5(not supplied by Sprint) firmware you could get for the 6700.

The GPS on the phone is A-GPS - assisted GPS - not a full GPS so if you look at the Sprint sales link - it says something like GPS enabled - that means if you pay Sprint a monthly fee you can use their software - you can't use any other ones like google maps or live search or even paid programs like TomTom or iGuidance without buying a BT GPS receiver to communicate with your phone - seems silly not to include a real SirfIII chip when they cost about the same - wouldn't increase the size and wouldn't have us running up our monthly fees with Sprint. Other phones such as the x800 come with a full GPS chip and are slimmer than the 6800.

Voice Command 1.6 has an issue with voice dialing confirmation - so you say call Mary at home and it will say "call Mary at home?" no matter how many times or how loud you say yes, it will timeout and not place the call - you have to turn confirmation off and hope it recognized the name you wanted to call.

It does not come with a car charger - you have to buy that seperately - I still think this is a rip off - not sure how many people use mobile phones don't want a charger for the car?

Still comes with fannypack style case - if I'm going to look like a geek with a big honkin phone -I'd like to at least project a somewhat heterosexual image.

Still comes with Sprint crapware like audibles. I'd really love it if it asked you before installing the junk however until someone posts the iota and other sprint specific items you do want to load, you'll have to manually remove the junk after it installs.

For some reason, while this unit has plenty of hard buttons, you can't reassign them like you can on the 6700 some can be but only about half of them.

The gap in the slider makes the unit feel flimsy as you press on the screen.

The vibration doesn't seem as strong as the 6700's did to me.

Status Quo
If you are using the latest sprint rom 2.2 on your 6700 you'll see a slight improvement in speed, if you are using an unsanctioned but better rom AKU 3.5 from other sources, you'll see a slight drop in performance when opening apps, files etc.

Things to consider -

I prefer a larger screen over the front keypad like the treo or the q or blackjack however some people will want one handed typing and they would be better served by another phone - get the phone that serves you best not what serves others best. I would suggest waiting for WM6 on whatever phone you get if possible as many new WM6 should be out by the end of the year.

I really wish this unit was still a bit slimmer although it is better than the 6700 (which is like saying our 75 floor skyscraper is shorter than the empire state building - that is still a TALL building) - I think it will have to decrease at least 5 more mm before I'd say it was reasonably "slim"

I really think ALL the WM6 phones Sprint offers next year will have to be VGA resolution - I don't see how they intend to compete considering there are about 15 VGA WM6 phones being released this year and the 6800 a brand new phone is still only QVGA 240x320 - one fourth the resolution of those other phones.

Things I'd recommend for any WM6 phoneAcrobat reader for mobile - free
flash player for mobile - free
Micosoft Live Search - free (information searching, GPS/NAV display)
MS Voice Command - let's you dial by name or number anyone in your contacts without having to train for each person's name.
SPB Pocket PLus - let's you customize your today screen - put frequently used app shortcuts, document shortcuts etc on your today screen AND it has a very good battery indicator - better than the native battery indicator.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP

sledgie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
one thing I haven't heard yet - and this is somewhat important as the 6700 from my knowledge lacks this feature - is the ability to scroll AND select links, not one or the other. on the 6700, you could only scroll with the joystick (the way I have it set up) without selecting links, or you could have it go though every single link BEFORE scrolling, which was the default.

I recently tried the Q and thought the way motorola had it set up was perfect! you could scroll with the scroll wheel and select links via 5 way, or press and hold 5 way and it would scroll as well, then individually go through the links with an independant push of the 5 way.

I also found the scrolling "speed" of the Q much more preferrable than th 6700. with the Q I felt the scrolling was more "fluid", with the 6700 its somewhat hesitant, or "blocky".

its a feature I miss from my 6600. I could scroll through the page using the 5 way, and using the up/down arrows on the keyboard it would go through the links within the window, without resetting to the top of the page

how does this work on the mogul? i'd love to hear from Q owners as well (todd/indy)?

thanks
sledgie
Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Lurker

wgmplyr is a n00b
This is a really good summation of the core pros and cons.

For me --the big things are
1) Screen size. Would prefer VGA on there. Maybe with the screen size up to 3.5 inches instead of 2.8. That would make the device ideal.
2) GPS. i am pretty sure the Qcom chip has satellite based GPS on there..it's just the ROM has the GPS stuff taken out. i.e. above and beyond a-gps or cell tower based location. Really wish it had this natively but right now it's --at best-- disabled.

Other than that it's a good device. My guess though is with all the new devices that are coming out--I'll probably switch to one of those if they hit both of those above factors.
p.s. I really dont like syncing to msft on there. I'd much rather just use google mail which is a far better product. I think google could come out with a kick butt mobile suite for phones like the mogul in no time at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe
I've upgraded from the 6700 to the 6800 and so far I'm reasonably happy with the 6800 over the 6700.

Pros

The screen colors and brightness are pretty good.

The speaker is a little better than the 6700

The reception is as good as the 6700 which is better than the Treo's

It runs WM6 so it can display HTML formatted e-mail from an Exchange 2007 server, and you can flag e-mails as well as search your exchange 2007 server for anything throughout your entire mailbox not just what is downloaded to your phone.

The keyboard is easier for me to type on than the smaller Treo keyboard.

The display is larger than the treo display so I can see more calendar events and other information on my today screen and browse the web easier.

The construction seems reasonably good although since it is a little slimmer than the old 6700, the weight difference may give people the impression it isn't as sturdy but I think it is - however the rear battery cover is very flimsy - I imagine HTC will have to sell a lot of replacements to customers.

The larger Lithium Polymer battery helps give you about 20% more life than the previous battery in my opinion. Haven't done an in depth comparison but I'd say that is reasonably accurate.

Comes with 512MB microSD storage in addition to the greater storage capacity build in memory. I think this is a good touch.

Browsing the web is improved as it now supports java natively.

So far no "Dark Screen of Death/DSOD" that was common with the 6700 - required you to remove your storage for the display to turn on (unless you upgraded to AKU 3.5 which wasn't available from Sprint.

CONS

The Bluetooth STILL is bad - blame microsoft -their BT stack isn't as good as widcoms - unfortunately the BT doesn't perform as well as the WM5 AKU3.5(not supplied by Sprint) firmware you could get for the 6700.

The GPS on the phone is A-GPS - assisted GPS - not a full GPS so if you look at the Sprint sales link - it says something like GPS enabled - that means if you pay Sprint a monthly fee you can use their software - you can't use any other ones like google maps or live search or even paid programs like TomTom or iGuidance without buying a BT GPS receiver to communicate with your phone - seems silly not to include a real SirfIII chip when they cost about the same - wouldn't increase the size and wouldn't have us running up our monthly fees with Sprint. Other phones such as the x800 come with a full GPS chip and are slimmer than the 6800.

Voice Command 1.6 has an issue with voice dialing confirmation - so you say call Mary at home and it will say "call Mary at home?" no matter how many times or how loud you say yes, it will timeout and not place the call - you have to turn confirmation off and hope it recognized the name you wanted to call.

It does not come with a car charger - you have to buy that seperately - I still think this is a rip off - not sure how many people use mobile phones don't want a charger for the car?

Still comes with fannypack style case - if I'm going to look like a geek with a big honkin phone -I'd like to at least project a somewhat heterosexual image.

Still comes with Sprint crapware like audibles. I'd really love it if it asked you before installing the junk however until someone posts the iota and other sprint specific items you do want to load, you'll have to manually remove the junk after it installs.

For some reason, while this unit has plenty of hard buttons, you can't reassign them like you can on the 6700 some can be but only about half of them.

The gap in the slider makes the unit feel flimsy as you press on the screen.

The vibration doesn't seem as strong as the 6700's did to me.

Status Quo
If you are using the latest sprint rom 2.2 on your 6700 you'll see a slight improvement in speed, if you are using an unsanctioned but better rom AKU 3.5 from other sources, you'll see a slight drop in performance when opening apps, files etc.

Things to consider -

I prefer a larger screen over the front keypad like the treo or the q or blackjack however some people will want one handed typing and they would be better served by another phone - get the phone that serves you best not what serves others best. I would suggest waiting for WM6 on whatever phone you get if possible as many new WM6 should be out by the end of the year.

I really wish this unit was still a bit slimmer although it is better than the 6700 (which is like saying our 75 floor skyscraper is shorter than the empire state building - that is still a TALL building) - I think it will have to decrease at least 5 more mm before I'd say it was reasonably "slim"

I really think ALL the WM6 phones Sprint offers next year will have to be VGA resolution - I don't see how they intend to compete considering there are about 15 VGA WM6 phones being released this year and the 6800 a brand new phone is still only QVGA 240x320 - one fourth the resolution of those other phones.

Things I'd recommend for any WM6 phoneAcrobat reader for mobile - free
flash player for mobile - free
Micosoft Live Search - free (information searching, GPS/NAV display)
MS Voice Command - let's you dial by name or number anyone in your contacts without having to train for each person's name.
SPB Pocket PLus - let's you customize your today screen - put frequently used app shortcuts, document shortcuts etc on your today screen AND it has a very good battery indicator - better than the native battery indicator.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

blazin-asian is keeping up the good workblazin-asian is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to blazin-asian
so this BT stack problem with the 6800. could this be the reason i cant send or receive files via BT? i was able to pair my old 8125 to my 6800, but couldnt send via BT. only IR.

i liked the stylus position on the 6700 better. im right handed and its kind of a pain to take it out when the keyboard is out.

speaker is a low. they put it on the bottom???? its not as loud as my 8125 in terms of music and ringtones

when i set my video to full screen in WMP10, it shows it in portrait mode instead of landscape like the 6700. i have to slide the keyboard out to make it landscape mode

wassup with that? anyone know any fixes for any of these problems or ones listed in this thread?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbabe88
Is anyone having battery problems? I charged mine thsi morning it was done around 730 its not 1045 and its already at 60% and I haven't really used it much.... I dont like this at all
Some ppl are reporting great battery performance, while others (including myself) think it suxs. I can be at 100%, make a 5 min. phone call, hang up and now at 60%....

I noticed my battery issues before installing any apps to it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan