PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: WM 6.1
Carrier: Verizon

beluczywo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alltel Titan on Verizon Network

Just thought I'd share my experience and ask a question or two.

I thought I would buy a used Alltel Titan/Mogul and save 50% over a similar Verizon phone. I did my reading, unlocked with OliPro 2.4, flashed to Sprint to get the new GPS enabled, ran DCD's install for Verizon, then started playing with the latest kitchen. Manually shoved in the Verizon PRL, NAM, SID, etc. Called V to activate -- "your ESN is not in our wireless manager". Long story short, an hour on that call, a tech and a supervisor. Next day a trip to the store -- smarter tech, manager, dumb-luck running into the regional data guy who was for V who was in for a visit and here is the skinny.

Verizon loads ESNs in bulk as they buy hardware from HTC. Technology-wise, the Alltel, Sprint, Verizon, and anyone else who uses the HTC Titan hardware is identical except for the plastic shell and the programming of the network specifics which you can get around as I've indicated above. The problem is a Verizon corporate policy/choice (brain-dead stupid as usual). They just will not, under any circumstances, type a foreign ESN into their system.

Supposedly this changes in July with "open source" but even then they were mighty cagey -- might slip to Q3, Q4, might be model specific with PDAs getting addressed last, the usual BS.

Bottom line -- I got a good price on their chintzy plastic version of the Titan and have it activated so I need to sell off the Alltel.

I am darn persistent, but there is a brick wall there so go ahead an use Verizon stuff on Sprint but not vice versa. Prior to donig something with the Alltel, I have a few questions -- I'll post them under appropriate headings to follow.
I truly feel like it proves the saying "standing on the shoulders of giants".
I've been in software for 20 years and I still can't see how you've done it.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

t60n3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel Titan on Verizon Network

I flashed an Alltel PPC6800 Titan with the carrier set as Verizon and sold it to my friend. He took it to Verizon service center and they told him it can't be used because it was an alltel phone. I'm sorry but I don't accept that. For one Alltel was bought by Verizon and they are both CDMA so why can't my friend use it with his already existing VZW contract? Please anyone who has experienced this and maybe figured out how to get around it please let me know!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan