PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Where's UTStarcom and the 6800? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=4942)

Paragon 06-12-2007 04:54 PM

Where's UTStarcom and the 6800?

Today it suddenly hit me. Where is UTStarcom and the 6800? Any mention or pictures now of the 6800 are of the HTC Mogul ...NO mention of UTStarcom.

Could this be the reason for the delayed launch? Did something happen with UTStarcom/HTC/Sprint/6800? It sure goes a long way in explaining the name change from 6800 to the Mogul.

Also according to rockdamic's thread he says that the Bell Mobility device is branded HTC. I know for absolute unquestionable fact that as of several weeks ago Bell's device was going to be branded by UTStarcom.
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/bell-mobilit...sor-t5531.html

Hmmmmm......

Dave

e-dub 06-12-2007 05:37 PM

htc built it, starcom rebadged it.

eric b

Paragon 06-12-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub
htc built it, starcom rebadged it.

eric b

Sorry eric, you missed my point. There is now NO UTStarcom rebranding. It's gone!

Dave

shivers 06-12-2007 09:15 PM

interesting points, dave. never really thought about it until now.

e-dub 06-12-2007 10:12 PM

oops. sorry about that!

but hasn't htc been wanting to make their brand recognition stronger for some time now?

eric b

Paragon 06-12-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub
oops. sorry about that!

but hasn't htc been wanting to make their brand recognition stronger for some time now?

eric b

Yes, absolutely. HTC is and has been increasing its exposure. The main factor here is that this was a done deal with UTStarcom. Both Sprint and Bell Mobility were two weeks away from launching this device as the UTStarcom 6800 then all of a sudden the wheels fall off. There were then emails floating around Sprint of it being delayed without a firm future launch date. Then it shows up one day as the HTC Mogul. A new name and no mention of UTStarcom. Now we see pictures of it in release material and again no UTStarcom. The change from UTStarcom to HTC came VERY late in the game. Well after the initial deal had be done, only days before launch. The switch to WM6.0 definitely plays a part in the delay, but until the light bulb went off in my head today that's all I thought it was. I never noticed the lack of UTStarcom in the latest news....something is amiss??

Dave

Shaska 06-12-2007 11:01 PM

Perhaps UTStarcom did something to anger HTC so they decided to cut out the middle man and go straight to sprint and other carriers with the 6800 under a new name to avoid copyright infringement...

B18DelSolT 06-12-2007 11:49 PM

I would be so mad if that was the reason for the delay, I mean if we have no glitches cause of WM6 then not so much, but if it acts up, then this will be me :evil: lol

HobbesIsReal 06-13-2007 12:13 AM

About a year ago, i posted a news release from HTC on one of the forums a while back that HTC has developed a plan to actively change it's image and the way it deals with resellers of it's phones. It's aim to make HTC the recognized manufacturer name brand. They offered a few logos the were planning on using at that time on the phones. I will did it up and post a link if I can find it again.

Paragon 06-13-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
About a year ago, i posted a news release from HTC on one of the forums a while back that HTC has developed a plan to actively change it's image and the way it deals with resellers of it's phones. It's aim to make HTC the recognized manufacturer name brand. They offered a few logos the were planning on using at that time on the phones. I will did it up and post a link if I can find it again.

Yes, it has been well established in the media around the world that HTC has been changing it's business model, cutting out resellers, and rebranders. That's not the point here.....Sorry Hobbes.

Sprint and Bell Mobility were days from launching with UTSTarcom. DAYS! A deal was in place between these parties. There is no way that HTC could, or would come in at the 11th hour and say they changed their minds and were cutting out UTStarcom. If by some huge stretch of the imagination they actually did that they would submarine any chance of ever working with Sprint again. If they were to mess with things that late in the game, there's a much better chance of it completely blowing up in their face then there is of them gaining a new direct customer. If you were Sprint how would you feel if HTC came in days before and messed with your launch, as well as everything else down the line?

No, there is something else at play here for it to happen so late in the game. HTC would have played it that way from the start, many months ago as they did with Telus, O2, iMate, and many other resellers and carriers.

I would speculate that UTSTartcom ran into some problems in building the final ROM or some other technical aspect at their end as a rebrander and the wheels fell off forcing HTC to jump in to save the deal, and this is the main reason for the delays. It also explains why there was so much confusion around the launch date after the initial delay. They were no longer working off a set schedule. They were now reworking things, now with HTC, and in a panic mode trying to get it out the door as soon as possible, but unsure just how long that was going to take. Wondering if they could pull it off in a month or was it more likely going to take several weeks or months?

This of course fits well with HTC's new business model, but the timing sure doesn't. As I said it would be far more damaging then it would be good doing it this way.

Dave