PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint

shivers is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
maybe once the device comes out and sales are strong details about the reason for the delay and HTC/UTStarcom relationship will start to surface.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I got a Moto Q because I was tired of waiting for the 6800. On the rebate form there is Mogul by HTC listed with a $100 rebate which expires on June 17th and it isn't even out yet.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bigmikemn is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Sprint and Bell Mobility were days from launching with UTSTarcom. DAYS! A deal was in place between these parties.
Source?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikemn
Quote:
Sprint and Bell Mobility were days from launching with UTSTarcom. DAYS! A deal was in place between these parties.
Source?
The source of the confirmation of that info is very solid and confidential. I'm sorry but you are going to have to decide on your own with all the other info that has been published stating that Sprint and Bell Mobility were going to lauch a UTStarcom device. That was pretty well documented in the media.

Unfortunately, I'm not about to publicly announce someone's name. It would be very unprofessional. I stated that there was a Sprint/Bell/UTStarcom deal only because, as I have pointed out, that it was public knowledge anyway. I'm not about to jeopardize another individuals reputation over something as minor as that. You'll have to judge me without that bit of info...sorry! I wouldn't get to hung up on "The Source" Do a little digging and you will find lots of info showing and talking about the UTStarcom 6800. You don't need my word on it.

Dave
Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

shivers is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootheresa
I got a Moto Q because I was tired of waiting for the 6800. On the rebate form there is Mogul by HTC listed with a $100 rebate which expires on June 17th and it isn't even out yet.
That rebate form has been circling for a while now. It was printed back before the original 6800 release in May that didn't happen.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
What i was trying to say is yes this was printed long time ago, and it was already badged HTC not utstrarcom.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Paragon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularParagon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
What i was trying to say is yes this was printed long time ago, and it was already badged HTC not utstrarcom.
Good point. That just adds more confusion to this stupid confused mess of a release, doesn't it?!

[EDIT]bootheresa, I just did a little searching and found a few pics from as early as mid April with no UTStarcom branding

Dave
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

shivers is a n00b
Quote:
gotcha ... and also a good point.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 700Wx

Xxsrt4xX is a n00b
Here's some info/specs/pics for you guys.

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/2...fications.html
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
Yes, it has been well established in the media around the world that HTC has been changing it's business model, cutting out resellers, and rebranders. That's not the point here.....Sorry Hobbes.

Sprint and Bell Mobility were days from launching with UTSTarcom. DAYS! A deal was in place between these parties. There is no way that HTC could, or would come in at the 11th hour and say they changed their minds and were cutting out UTStarcom. If by some huge stretch of the imagination they actually did that they would submarine any chance of ever working with Sprint again. If they were to mess with things that late in the game, there's a much better chance of it completely blowing up in their face then there is of them gaining a new direct customer. If you were Sprint how would you feel if HTC came in days before and messed with your launch, as well as everything else down the line?

No, there is something else at play here for it to happen so late in the game. HTC would have played it that way from the start, many months ago as they did with Telus, O2, iMate, and many other resellers and carriers.

I would speculate that UTSTartcom ran into some problems in building the final ROM or some other technical aspect at their end as a rebrander and the wheels fell off forcing HTC to jump in to save the deal, and this is the main reason for the delays. It also explains why there was so much confusion around the launch date after the initial delay. They were no longer working off a set schedule. They were now reworking things, now with HTC, and in a panic mode trying to get it out the door as soon as possible, but unsure just how long that was going to take. Wondering if they could pull it off in a month or was it more likely going to take several weeks or months?

This of course fits well with HTC's new business model, but the timing sure doesn't. As I said it would be far more damaging then it would be good doing it this way.

Dave
Does your source have some kind of confirmation that UTStarcom is no longer involved here? I mean call me crazy but isn't it possible that as part of HTC's efforts to publicize their brand name that they negotiated with UTStarcom to take over all branding of the device?

UTStarcom can still be the facilitator between HTC and Sprint/Verizon without emblazoning their name all over the product. So unless you have knowledge of UTStarcom being out of the picture then I'm inclined to believe that they're still there--just not visible. HTC has always done all of the hardware and software development anyway, so UTStarcom was always just a facilitator.

As for the name change, maybe Sprint decided that a model name was more memorable than a model number (think Treo, Q, iPhone, etc.). Let's be honest--UTStarcom PPC6800 as a brand name has zero cache. Thanks to the iPhone, the push now is for Smart Phones in the consumer sector, and it's obvious from the marketing materials that Sprint's readying a slick advertising push for this phone (which they never did for the 6600 and 6700). In my humble opinion (no secret sources here) that's the only reason for the new name.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan