PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Liquid damage (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48815)

bones20 12-12-2008 04:09 PM

Liquid damage

My Mogul is damaged by water. I had to carry the phone in the bathroom and kept it well away from the pool of water near the sink. When I picked up the phone after my job, I saw it was lying in a pool of water around 1-2 mm deep. I didnt think It would have damaged the phone. However when I turned on the phone:

1. None of the buttons were working. I switched it off took off the battery to see the water had seeped inside. i cleaned it up and turned it on back again. Was happy to find that the buttons were working

2. Happiness was short lived. When I put it to charge, I found the charge yellow LED blink and saw that WM6 was not indicating charge. I called up Sprint. they asked me to take it to corporate store. I went to Sprint and picked up the phone after an hour. Technician reported that the phone is working fine. He hard reset it with new ROM but also pointed out that the phone has liquid damage indicated by a red marker on phone board. He said that the manufacturer warranty is void. :(

3. I thought the phone was still working fine. However, I found that the camera doesnt work anymore. Either it works fine very occasionally or it opens up and freezes the screen or it gives a message saying cant initialize the camera. Now that Sprint already knows about the liq damage, I called up HTC. they asked me to send the phone to their outsourced warranty/service dept. They asked me to ship the phone at my cost and that I will be without a phone for 2-3 weeks. even after that I cam sure they will walk away saying liquid damage.

So basically I am screwed and left with a damaged phone with lost warranty.

My only bet now is that my VISA extended warranty will kick in next June 2009 after the manufacturer warranty expires and I can try my luck to see if Visa is able to neglect that and get my phone fixed.

mean while does anybody have any street smart suggestion/workaround to this?

Rangerdave 12-12-2008 04:26 PM

Re: Liquid damage

search the ppcgeeks forum for the word "rice". yes its real.
It might be a little late in your case but you have nothing to loose.

RD

PDAPhoneJunkie 12-12-2008 04:37 PM

First off, you should never let Sprint talk you into going to a corperate store. That's a no no. Tell them that you don't have a car or something, like you're out of town.

When they send you a replacment, don't send in your old one. They most likley won't charge you for it. If you do and they spot water damage then you will end up getting billed, but at least you have a new phone...

popdog54 12-12-2008 05:14 PM

I'm not trying to be mean, but you left your phone lying on the floor (or wherever it was), near a pool of water, it gets wet, and now you are crying about it. There's a reason that pants and shirts have pockets and phones come with carrying cases. You may have had a very good reason for putting your phone down where you did, but you should have been more careful.

bones20 12-12-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdog54 (Post 574818)
I'm not trying to be mean, but you left your phone lying on the floor (or wherever it was), near a pool of water, it gets wet, and now you are crying about it. There's a reason that pants and shirts have pockets and phones come with carrying cases. You may have had a very good reason for putting your phone down where you did, but you should have been more careful.

:D Thats a good question.

I was doing my business in the bathroom. I was expecting an important call. I kept it on the counter far away from the sink and the puddle of water. Unfortunate for me, the water seeped in this time inside the phone.

Your advice, very valid. I should have been more careful with a 500$ sensitive gadget.

woods23 12-12-2008 06:00 PM

You know there are alot of times that cell companies don't do what they say or live up to their agreements, but this one is on you and you should deal with the pain, $7 bucks a month would have given you a replacement phone.

I say this from experience.............

popdog54 12-12-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones20 (Post 574847)
Your advice, very valid. I should have been more careful with a 500$ sensitive gadget.

I treat my phone better than my girlfriend. She's so jealous of it.

Hafrust 12-12-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdog54 (Post 574931)
I treat my phone better than my girlfriend. She's so jealous of it.

Careful...she might find a gadget to replace you with! :twisted:

popdog54 12-12-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripdub1 (Post 574940)
Careful...she might find a gadget to replace you with! :twisted:

I told her she could always borrow my phone and use it in v-- mode.

bones20 12-12-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdog54 (Post 574987)
I told her she could always borrow my phone and use it in v-- mode.

Be careful about liquid damage there :D or make sure you have insurance.