PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800, 6900, 6850, 6875 (currently)
Carrier: US Cellular

diamondfuel is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool US Cellular (uscc) ppc6800 (titan) Hardware Upgrade - Free!

Howdy folks,
At the beginning of 2008, I did alot of homework and went in and purchased outright a ppc6800 from US Cellular. I ended up having trouble with it for which I was issued a replacement.
The other day I went into the local uscc store to pay my bill and as i stepped through the door, noticed no one at the counter, so I casually browsed the phone section to see if new "competition" was out. I was immediately accosted by a sales rep who took me directly to the new "delve" - then he asked me what my reason for looking at phones was. I told him, "well..... i'm not really HAPPY with what i've got..." of cours this drew a, "what are you carring?" from the sales rep and i proceeded to inform him that it was the most expensive phone in the store! Now he was curious and was hooked into finding out what was not pleasing about the most expensive model that they carry! I advised him about the shortfalls of the OS (lacking updates), inability to use GPS, and that there were security updates with WM6.1. He immediately went to the back of the store advising me to wait while he obtained information from the Repair Technician about the new update that had JUST been released. I waited about 5 minutes. He came back informing me that the update for that phone was out and all i needed to do was go to the website. "in that case, let me pay my bill!", I said.
Long story short, I ended up calling that store back 3 separate times in an attempt to clarify the address, link, location or some way of obtaining the rom update from the manufacturer. To no avail. Finally after the last call, the rapair tech returned my call informing me that they (uscc) were prepared to offer me a no-strings, free-and-clear "upgrade" to the WM6900 (HTC Touch) aka Vogue. I went in the next day and picked up the phone. Since then, I have discovered that i was not offered an upgrade. Only a new phone. I specifically purchased my 6800 because of ALL the features it carries! Now with the 6900, I don't have Ir (infra-red), or wifi, or a slide-out keyboard! The Retail Value is also less. I have installed the WM6.1 update from USCC and now gps does work well. I also have better functionality with some programs including better "push" of emails and such.
So here I am with 2 phones. Using one is looks cooler but has less functionality than the one I really want to be using. I'm tempted to sell them both and change carriers all together.
IfI could find a way to back up the original rom that is installed on the device, I would mod the hell out of my 6800! So both phones are still in original rom.
Any ideas or suggestions? I hope this story inspires or helps someone.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: US Cellular

BillThyCat is becoming a great contributor
Re: US Cellular (uscc) ppc6800 (titan) Hardware Upgrade - Free!

Everything I've been told and have read, USCC is not going to release a 6.1 update to the 6800 because of it being End Of Life. I think this is BS, but as it is they don't release updates for 90% of their phones...

Anyways, I flashed my phone back in June, have had absolutely 0 problems, and would never go back to the stock rom even if I had to (other than maybe for a warranty return). You were right, the 6900 is no where near as nice as the 6800, other than one thing, it has 128mb of memory, and that makes a huge difference in performance.

I don't use the keyboard, and I don't use the wifi so I could live with a 6900, but I don't like the size, I think it's to small, while the 6800 is just a little to big. I have big hands, and big hands and tiny phones spell dents and dings from being dropped....

If someone gave me a 6900, I would probably try it out, but I wouldn't want to pay for one, especially since I'm still under contract, I couldn't swing the full retail price for it.

I also don't like how difficult it is to get to the memory slot what a pain.

The full size stylus is a plus tho.

Anyways, if you decide to sell the 6900 for a very reasonable price ($100-150ish) I might be interested, but other than that, I'll stick with my 6800 and learn to live with minimal memory apps.

BTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondfuel View Post
Howdy folks,
At the beginning of 2008, I did alot of homework and went in and purchased outright a ppc6800 from US Cellular. I ended up having trouble with it for which I was issued a replacement.
The other day I went into the local uscc store to pay my bill and as i stepped through the door, noticed no one at the counter, so I casually browsed the phone section to see if new "competition" was out. I was immediately accosted by a sales rep who took me directly to the new "delve" - then he asked me what my reason for looking at phones was. I told him, "well..... i'm not really HAPPY with what i've got..." of cours this drew a, "what are you carring?" from the sales rep and i proceeded to inform him that it was the most expensive phone in the store! Now he was curious and was hooked into finding out what was not pleasing about the most expensive model that they carry! I advised him about the shortfalls of the OS (lacking updates), inability to use GPS, and that there were security updates with WM6.1. He immediately went to the back of the store advising me to wait while he obtained information from the Repair Technician about the new update that had JUST been released. I waited about 5 minutes. He came back informing me that the update for that phone was out and all i needed to do was go to the website. "in that case, let me pay my bill!", I said.
Long story short, I ended up calling that store back 3 separate times in an attempt to clarify the address, link, location or some way of obtaining the rom update from the manufacturer. To no avail. Finally after the last call, the rapair tech returned my call informing me that they (uscc) were prepared to offer me a no-strings, free-and-clear "upgrade" to the WM6900 (HTC Touch) aka Vogue. I went in the next day and picked up the phone. Since then, I have discovered that i was not offered an upgrade. Only a new phone. I specifically purchased my 6800 because of ALL the features it carries! Now with the 6900, I don't have Ir (infra-red), or wifi, or a slide-out keyboard! The Retail Value is also less. I have installed the WM6.1 update from USCC and now gps does work well. I also have better functionality with some programs including better "push" of emails and such.
So here I am with 2 phones. Using one is looks cooler but has less functionality than the one I really want to be using. I'm tempted to sell them both and change carriers all together.
IfI could find a way to back up the original rom that is installed on the device, I would mod the hell out of my 6800! So both phones are still in original rom.
Any ideas or suggestions? I hope this story inspires or helps someone.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: I have Evolved.
Carrier: Sprint

chappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: US Cellular (uscc) ppc6800 (titan) Hardware Upgrade - Free!

Hey guys what are paragraphs?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan