PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint RhodiumW (SIM/CID Unlocked), Titan, Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Manually enable/disable Internet access

I am new to the Pocket PC/WM6 tweaking, so I will likely desire step buy step instructions until I get the hang of things. If there is a "Mods for Beginners" thread somewhere on here, I'd enjoy a link to it.

My question pertains to using GPS programs on my Verizon phone. I am looking to purchase and instal Microsoft Pocket Streets 2005 on my phone in the near future. Verizon tells me that it will work so long as it says it works with WM6. My concern is being charge through Verizon for using a GPS Navigator that is not VZW Nav. I would like to be able to disable the internet service on my phone (XV6800) so that it cannot automatically connect to the internet for updates and so on. This way I have to manually allow any program to go online for anything. I do not have, nor do I plan, to put a Data plan on my phone, as I alread have a Broadband Access plan that is under contract, and is their Unlimited plan. Is there a fairly simple way to do this?

Or, another option I was thinking of as I screwed up my phone while attempting the Sprint ROM mod (bought my phone two days ago, warrentied it yesterday), I had managed to get to the point that my phone number was no longer on Verizon's System and had found it's way back to the number pool. Even my service plan was switched back to a National plan instead of the Family Share plan I had....I am curious if their is a way to go in with the ##778 option to switch my Broadband Access plan to my Titan while keeping my 6800's cell number and my AC595U's price plan (since they refuse to let me have Unlimited Access on any new Broadband plan...and I don't want to loose the unlimited acces.)At that point, I wouldn't care if my phone logged into the net to get extentions and so on.

Can anyone help out with either of these questions? I am willing to clarify and accept critisism if it is needed. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Manually enable/disable Internet access

“I am looking to purchase and instal Microsoft Pocket Streets 2005 on my phone in the near future.”

I have MS Streets [PPC CAB version included in 2005 but not in newer versions] and it works to a limited degree.

The problem with using MS Streets for GPS navigation is the file size of the maps you have to download into the PPC. You can’t download the whole US you have to do it in pieces.

You can create your routes and download them into the PPC. As an example; I live in NW Florida and if I wish to go to Birmingham, AL I have to select a portion of the US that my route follows. I am limited to the size or it will not allow me to export it. I have to do this in increments until I have the entire route [it could be as many as 5 to 10 maps that overlap]. Then copy those maps into the MS Pocket Streets directory so the program can find the maps.

Even after all that work, it does not give you turn by turn directions; it only shows the route on the map.

I have found it to not be a very user friendly setup for PPC GPS use.

It will work fine for your local area. Select your home area, export it, and copy it to your PPC. It will allow you to find addresses and you can see where it is, but it does not give directions.

In my research for something that is stand alone GPS navigation, I have used DeLorme Street Atlas. You have some of the same restrictions as far as having to export maps in sections, but when you are following a route, it will automatically change to the appropriate map as you travel. It will also give you voice turn instructions as well as on screen instructions.

With a bit of tweaking it may do what you want.

I have since signed up for unlimited internet service and use Mobile Google Maps. It is excellent for short distance directions. I have not tried it for long trips.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just the MR1 update seems to screw GPS up bad.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

there is a program called nodata. do a search for it and you will find the cab for it. also look into garmin XT. i use it on my 6800 and it kicks ***. you can download states to your SD card and i believe you can do the whole US on a 2 gig card.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan