PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How to transfer Garmin XT to a different card (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46179)

jgirvine 11-23-2008 02:28 PM

How to transfer Garmin XT to a different card

Ok guys, please forgive an old lady here who know just enough to get herself in trouble.

I want to load the Garmin XT to my 8 gig card on my Sprint Mogul. I read the big long thread on the Garmin XT and I followed that some folks have been able to do it, or have found a place to buy that version (was not sure which).

Can anyone help me please. Those little memory cards are just tooooooooo small to have to change it out when I want to use the Garmin, much less keep up with them.

I have not yet bought the program. Was waiting for answers to this thread to see if there is a certain version I should buy or something.

Thanks
Ginny

jgirvine 11-24-2008 04:03 PM

Re: How to transfer Garmin XT to a different card

still looking for help :(

Mylt1 11-24-2008 04:32 PM

XT comes on a microsd/transflash card from garmin but im not sure if you can install it to another card or not. maybe a call or email to garmin tech support could answer your question.

jgirvine 11-24-2008 05:26 PM

It comes on a card. I contacted Garmin and they said it can not be moved. Based on reading other posts that seems to be incorrect. I want to buy it and move it. I currently have an 8 gig card. There is NO WAY the program is useful on it's own card.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Darkjedi 11-24-2008 05:47 PM

There are ways to 'hack' garmin to run on any storage card you want. These methods could be considered less than ethical depending on how strictly you view copyright laws. Since you are planning to buy the garmin xt software and are only going to transfer to your own storage card, its probably not that bad of a transgression. Though legally speaking you are probably still breaking some sort of copyright law even though you own the software and the memory card.

The method involves hacking garmin into accepting the serial number of your micro SD card. I believe this involves a serial key generator to ensure garmin accepts the SD card as valid. Can't directly link you to places that would allow you to do this, but if you say google garmin xt transfer sd card, you probably won't be dissapointed. Unfortunately, it's a bit techy if you're not the technologically enthused.

MrObvious 11-24-2008 05:48 PM

Can't you just move the files?

jgirvine 11-24-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 540013)
There are ways to 'hack' garmin to run on any storage card you want. These methods could be considered less than ethical depending on how strictly you view copyright laws. Since you are planning to buy the garmin xt software and are only going to transfer to your own storage card, its probably not that bad of a transgression. Though legally speaking you are probably still breaking some sort of copyright law even though you own the software and the memory card.

The method involves hacking garmin into accepting the serial number of your micro SD card. I believe this involves a serial key generator to ensure garmin accepts the SD card as valid. Can't directly link you to places that would allow you to do this, but if you say google garmin xt transfer sd card, you probably won't be dissapointed. Unfortunately, it's a bit techy if you're not the technologically enthused.

Well, like I said in my first post, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I did just call Garmin to ask the size of the card that the program comes on. He said a 2 gig. That would be fine if.......I was not already using an 8 gig. He then said I could buy the program on DVD and install it to my phone....I was like..>>>YES!!!, only for him to go on and say that if I did that I then had to use a remote GPS receiver, that it would not use the internal receiver. The whole goal here is not to have something else to carry, be it a second micro sd card, or a remote GPS receiver.

sigh....

Anyone tried the "hack". I do try to be legal, and to not break copy laws. That said, if I buy the program why can I not make it "work" for me?????

Ok, still looking for help.

Thanks

Mylt1 11-24-2008 06:31 PM

i dont think so. i believe the card has a registration number assigned to it. a google search may get you the answers you need. since your gonna buy the XT i dont think any laws would be broken by doing the search and following the instructions since you purchased the software.

berardi1111 11-26-2008 11:08 AM

This stinks :( I'm struggling with the same issue. I refuse to use an external GPS :(. Isn't there some way to make Garmin see the internal GPS on the DVD version? I bought it not knowing it was only for external GPS.... and now I am using just Live search $100 bucks wasted cuz I refuse to carry a puck around when my phone has it internally. There's gotta be some way like AstroLauncher for Tomtom and Igo... I tried opening Garmin through the Astrolauncher but it didn't help....

Mylt1 11-26-2008 12:15 PM

have you gone into the settings and turned location to "on" instead of 911 only and have you gone into the garmin settings and listed the GPS as located on COM 4?