PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Lurker

adampeoples is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation How to COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY DISABLE DATA

I promise I've searched for my answer before posting! I have an xv6800 on 3.57.605.1 ROM, 3.37.75 Radio.

I've already canceled my data plan with Vz so I'm not worried about how to avoid charges.

I want to COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY delete data connection from my phone. As in, a hard reset would be required to get it back (if necessary). I'm fine with deleting registry keys or renaming files...whatever it takes! I dont text, or mms, or whatever. Wifi only!

I already know how to change my user name or delete the #777 connection in "connections" - none of these work. I also tried to delete HTC Guardian, and then deleted the Vz connection in "connections" but it still came back.

Every day, at random times, I get the following error:

Data Call Failure
Error: 11
PPP Connection Error

Something in my phone is trying to connect and I want it stopped!

Please. please. please. help. Verizon's response, is that I just have to deal with it, but this popup is driving me crazy.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Geek'n it Up
Pocket PC: xv6700 >> xv6800 >> BB Storm
Carrier: Red Devil Verizon

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Lylej2k
Re: How to COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY DISABLE DATA

Well first off... welcome to the madness.

What programs do you have installed? Do you still have an Email account set up on the phone? Weather program? something is trying to auto update, and a little more info would help us out.
Don't forget to hit the

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

not sure if this helps ya.http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=1325870
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Geek'n it Up

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45996 in the first post of this thread, the poster mentions a program he used on the mogul to kill data.

Nevermind, darren.wlsn1 posted the link to that program.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

welcome here to the op. lyle, im using the app. and it works great.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Geek'n it Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
welcome here to the op. lyle, im using the app. and it works great.
Good deal. I have an unlimited data package, so it doesn't bother me lol i'll download what I want when I want
Old 11-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

adampeoples is a n00b

Thanks for the welcome Lylej2k and thanks for the program darren.wlsn1.

Since my post, I found this suggestion buried in another forum: Dial ##778 - 000000, then go to Modem, and change Preferred mode to CDMA only which will supposedly kill any data connectivity with phone. (If that is a waste of time, or worse a harmful change, let me know and I'll switch it back).

After a reset I got a new error. Error 13. Service not activated on the network. However, this time, the Vz data connection did not appear to come back in the "connections" tab. Maybe that is good news?

Sorry about not giving more info in my first post. I was hesitant to make it too long for fear no one would read it!

I have outlook syncing via imap with gmail, I have a weather program but it manually syncs, active sync runs almost immediately via wifi with exchange...in short I have several programs trying to hit the internet on startup. I just need them to go wifi rather than data.

I see where you're going with your question though. Find the program that is trying to update and stop it...at least until wifi can get rolling.

Now that I think about it, It may be that I only get the error when I lose connectivity with wifi, which probably means all those programs I just told you about are still trying to connect and they are causing my problem. That may me the very problem NoData is supposed to fix.

For now, I'm going to call it a night but I'll resume testing tomorrow. I'd like to see if the CDMA change makes any difference, but If the error comes back - which it has randomly done - I'll try the program you suggested and post results.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Geek'n it Up

ok there's a program out there that was just posted recently that is supposed to automatically turn on wifi if you're in a hot spot. give me a few and I'll see if i can find it.

edit: that post is here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45942 check it out.

As far as the epst edit, i don't know if that's a harmful change or not.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

adampeoples is a n00b

I changed my mind about sleep. This has been bugging me too much to leave a possible resolution on the table.

I soft-reset my phone to see what effect the CDMA change had. I'm attaching screenshots, but you can see that the CDMA edit successfully killed the Verizon data connection in the connections manager [connections task tab]. BUT...my wifi doesnt work now. It turns on for just a second, sees the wireless signal, and then disables itself before it can connect.

I'm not sure, but thay MIGHT be caused by the fact that internet is not available as an option for connection. See [advanced network mgmt] the only options are ISP and work network and I dont think either of those is for wifi.

My new problem is that wifi disconnects immediately. I click enable, and within a second or two it disables itself - despite a wireless router 2 feet away.

Do we address the wifi problem or do I TRY to reverse my changes and test the NoData program?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg advanced network mgmt.jpg (12.8 KB, 11 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Connections tab.jpg (11.6 KB, 14 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg connections task tab.jpg (8.7 KB, 13 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Geek'n it Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampeoples View Post
I changed my mind about sleep. This has been bugging me too much to leave a possible resolution on the table.

I soft-reset my phone to see what effect the CDMA change had. I'm attaching screenshots, but you can see that the CDMA edit successfully killed the Verizon data connection in the connections manager [connections task tab]. BUT...my wifi doesnt work now. It turns on for just a second, sees the wireless signal, and then disables itself before it can connect.

I'm not sure, but thay MIGHT be caused by the fact that internet is not available as an option for connection. See [advanced network mgmt] the only options are ISP and work network and I dont think either of those is for wifi.

My new problem is that wifi disconnects immediately. I click enable, and within a second or two it disables itself - despite a wireless router 2 feet away.

Do we address the wifi problem or do I TRY to reverse my changes and test the NoData program?
give me a minute to check advanced configuration tool to see if there's something there.

OK yes, there's an option to disable the data connection in Adv config. I'll find you a link.

Last edited by Lylej2k; 11-22-2008 at 02:09 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan