PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ShackMaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No Custom Ringtones

Don't know if there's a quick solution to this. I searched, but didn't find anything.

My phone will not play .m4a and .qcp ringtones that I have. I have had them for quite some time. I'd had this problem off and on for a while before when I was using DCD's ROM but reapplying my settings in HHC seemed to solve it temporarily, at least. So I assumed that it was either some kind of issue with HHC or the HTC HOme program, but never really bothered to care because I had an easy enough fix.

...Enter ppckitchen. Ive been building my own ROMs and the problem is back, and it now seems to be independent of HHC or HTC Home. Even when they aren't present on my ROM, they won't work for ringtones on my phone.

I can play them both fine in Media player. I've tried moving them to the windows folder, the the My Ringtones folduer in my documents... To the my ringotes folder in the mydocuments on my memory card, and nothing seems to work. .mp3 Ringtones work fine regardless of the location.

Anyone have any suggestions before I go through the process of flashing ROM after ROM to try to identify the problem??

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83
Re: No Custom Ringtones

The easiest way to fix that is to convert them to .wav format not the smallest size format around but it is clean and always works for me when my mogul decided to stop playing mp4 and mp3 tones. A good setting is mono 16bit 3200hz about 1mb per 30 sec ringtone but it is less stress on the hardware when all that flashy phone call icons / programs load up to display the caller. Size does not matter to me as i have mine on a 4gb sdhc (I need to get bigger one for more gps maps and mp3 files along with my growing mobile video collection.) As for folder mine are in \storage card\my documents\my ringtones\ always works stock rom or custom rom. Just my 2cents.

Its always easier for to fix the file rather then trying to diagnose/flash diff roms to get it to work. .wav has always worked for my windows mobile phones as i think the codec is built into windows mobile.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Yep, what he said, only wav and mp3 but if you had looked a bit into your file explorer and looked at what type of tones were on your device you would have known that. But now you know anyway so now you can go out and make all kinds and get to customizing.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ShackMaster is a n00b

Right... I guess I should have added converting all of my ringtones to a different file format to the things that I was trying to avoid with the question. I know that I can convert them to .wma (A number of the ringers on my phone that always work are .wmas) or .wavs to resolve the problem, but that's not really fixing the problem with the phone not playing all 'supported formats' like it is supposed to. The ringtones that I *really* care about have been converted already... But I'd still like to figure out the problem and any solution that there may be.

Incedentally, I've never had any issues with .mp3 ringers not working either... It has always only been .mp4 and .qcp that have been problematic for me.

Thanks, though.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackMaster View Post
but that's not really fixing the problem with the phone not playing all 'supported formats' like it is supposed to. The ringtones that I *really* care about have been converted already... But I'd still like to figure out the problem and any solution that there may be.

Incedentally, I've never had any issues with .mp3 ringers not working either... It has always only been .mp4 and .qcp that have been problematic for me.

Thanks, though.
Who told you is supports those fornats out of the box? Because it doesnt. The only media player on it originally is WMP and it doesnt do MP4s or QCPs. Thats why most of us use Core Player, TCMCP (sp), Pocket Player, ECT.

WMP is so limited to its usage that its useless to most of us.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ShackMaster is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Who told you is supports those fornats out of the box? Because it doesnt. The only media player on it originally is WMP and it doesnt do MP4s or QCPs. Thats why most of us use Core Player, TCMCP (sp), Pocket Player, ECT.

WMP is so limited to its usage that its useless to most of us.
No one 'told me'... It's something that I experienced first hand for myself. One of the first things that I did when I got my Mogul was copy all of my ringtones (along with my contact photos) from my Samsung A900 to it to see if I could keep my ringers the same for all of my contacts as they had been for the past few years.

All of the ringers which were ALL .mp4 or .qcp ringers worked on my Mogul from pretty much the day I took it out of the box... with some ringtones being assigned to specific contacts.

I couldn't swear to it because it has been a few months, but I'm *pretty sure* that I was able to play the ringers in Media Player the day I took it out of the box.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
VIP Member

Maybe, IDK for sure, however you can get a free app called Advance Configuration Tool and in it there is a tab for file associations that you can set to be playing with WMP or whatever other player you might have that will support them.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan