PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sprint 6800 DELAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=4249)

monkey 05-07-2007 03:21 AM

Sprint 6800 DELAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup it's true. well at least according to phonenews.com. Here is the link: http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2082/1/. I sold both my Fusic and 6700 to try to save up for this f-n phone. i went out and bought a Virgin Mobile phone (CDMA all the way) in the mean time. HEck. i guess this means going back to the Q.

B18DelSolT 05-07-2007 07:46 AM

that just makes me not wanna get it. id say that was a dumb move from sprint, cause by the time it comes it, were gonna have an outdated phone.

Paragon 05-07-2007 08:55 AM

Hmmmm....One rumor out of hundreds out there. I'm not so sure I would put ALL my faith in ONE rumor. ;)

sledgie 05-07-2007 09:55 AM

not to sound naïve, but I would hardly call the reporting and research done by phonenews.com/pcsintel.com as a "rumor". they usually don't announce things until it is pretty much confirmed, and then on top of it they follow it with updates if anything changes. I understand, of course, the "numerous sources" as could be speculation, rumor, etc., but phonenews.com rarely gets their news wrong - except of course when the company itself is to be blamed for the information (recent at&t article releasing the cu500v etc.). not to mention, the rumors are usually confined to the forums over there.

I can't say I'm pleased with the information but I expected some shortcoming like this to happen, and I think those that purchased the ppc-6600 were as well after the debacle that happened with that device. I think its a horrible decision on sprint's part, with the upcoming iphone coming in june, not to try to get the crowd that was thinking of migrating to stay with sprint with this new heavy powered device. and, I don't even know if the samsung i760 is coming to sprint, so, hopefully verizon will release the 6800 or i760 and you guys can tell us how it is with some reviews.

I sure can't wait to read all the complaints, multiple threads and announcements of this delay of the 6800! :/

Paragon 05-07-2007 12:02 PM

It could very well be delayed, sledgie. It's just that we've heard all this before. It's on, it's off. What provoked me to post is the fact that they would make a statement that it could be delayed till October. That made me look at the whole thing as a second or third rate internet posting. Not true journalism, with statements to confirm it. There is nothing but rumor to any of this. Even the site that posted it have not stated one single piece of evidence to back it up.

So, while it may well be true. It could very well be delayed by a week or two. I definitely thing this still needs to be filed under rumor till something more substantial can be put behind it.

Dave

sledgie 05-07-2007 12:44 PM

well, I kinda remember a while bck (february?) where ppl were claiming it was going to be at verizon in mid february or something like that. now, sprint and verizon are two different companies of course, and rumors are bound to happen. but, I also think posting that article/report on the front page was more than just informing the end user about the possible delay, and i'll leave my cryptic reference at that.

in the past the only way we found out if the ppc- 6600 had the evdo hardware capability was through pcsintel.com/phonenews.com, and if you followed the site Mr. Price spent a lot of time trying to get answers out of Audiovox/UTStarcom and Sprint on when or if they were going to release evdo firmware update. a lot of us purchased the device and were told/sold on the understanding it would be upgraded to evdo once evdo was up and running. by posting information to the end user as he did in that situation, it got most of us who owned a 6600 into complaining to sprint or utstarcom and pressuring them to give us an answer whether it would be upgraded to evdo (although I do remember a statement being retracted or in fact plans to upgrade were thrown away).

so I'm glad phonenews posted what they did, for our sake, so that we get a reasoning or answer to the release of the 6800 or - for some of us - an option to move to a different carrier with better, and *available* phones - rather than wait and investing in a service while waitng for a phone to arrive. I too hope it isn't true, however, from what I was told a long long time ago, the puzzle pieces are starting to add up. it really shouldn't be a surprise, considering what phonenews.com reported on during the CTIA event while talking to HTC about the 6800.

don't shoot the messenger.

Paragon 05-07-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledgie
don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not about to shoot the messenger, sledgie. :) AND, I'm putting down the total efforts of the site. My simple point was and still is, that any news of that nature must be given some latitude, till it can be confirmed one way or the other. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to strike a nerve. ;)

sledgie 05-07-2007 01:08 PM

no nerve struck - not to worry. and I realize that until may 14th comes it is a "rumor", just as in until I see the 6800 in stores, its pending release is a "rumor" :) if it is indeed released near october, I will have to concur with boe and the rest who will in fact be correct that the device will be far outdated by then, with the exception of rev a and wm6. by october I expect to be seeing more and more 640x480 devices.

ps Its not like Sprint has delayed devices before! this is all so new to me

Raspster 05-07-2007 01:47 PM

hmm, I'm not totally against this wait for the phone with all the upgrades but 2 things.....

1. - Why would Sprint not just release the phone with the current spec's. You know they will sell tons of them, Then just release a 2nd version in Oct and call it the 6800WX..?! :roll:

2. - Why wait until Oct for this when you know Palm will have the spec's on their new device along with probally others like TA-Mobile or Singular with there new latest & greatest. By that time, The 6800 will not be the top of its game. Personally, I think this is a BAD move on Sprints part from a consumer & finacial stand point.

Paragon 05-07-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledgie
no nerve struck - not to worry. .................... if it is indeed released near october, I will have to concur with boe and the rest who will in fact be correct that the device will be far outdated by then,

Good I didn't want to upset you. :)

As far as an October release. I find it totally unacceptable. As I think most reasonable people.

I think before this October date gets bandied about too much there really needs to be some actual evidence that it is true. At this popint it is very misleading....................