PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

moats75 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WIFI plus cell....

Here is another interesting bit i got out of the HTC rep, it seems that the phone is capable of auto switching between cell service and wifi in the fact if the network could do it you could carry a call from the cell service to voip and back. however there is no soft handoff at this point between the 2 so it will drop the call but in the 6800 it has an auto redial over voip if a cell network isn't connected....i thought that was very interesting. Also, the rep also said that the phone was built with RF, wifi and bluetooth as the main objectives to concentrate on. so the bluetooth will be better the rf stronger and wifi faster with more possibilities of using it.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT
just wondering, cause im not the brightest, but whats rf?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch diamon
Carrier: sprint

fesstech is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT
just wondering, cause im not the brightest, but whats rf?
RF stands for radio frequency. However, ppl often use it to refer to any type of EM wave originating from an antenna.

wifi, bluetooth, and the phone transceiver all operate using RF at different frequencies. I infer that the transmission power of all RF devices on the 6800 will be improved, data rates will be increased, and receiving sensitivity enhanced. However, I think i read that the transmission power of the phone transceiver is limited to 200mw FCC regulation. I am sure the same or other regulations apply to the bluetooth and wifi. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung GSIII, HTC Glacier
Carrier: TMO

xarses is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesstech
... I think i read that the transmission power of the phone transceiver is limited to 200mw FCC regulation. I am sure the same or other regulations apply to the bluetooth and wifi. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Unlicensed usage of the 2.4Ghz band (802.11x, and Bluetooth) Is limited to 200mw omni-directional per FCC reg. the FCC does allow power output upto 1w if proper directional attenas are used. Bluetooth is intended to be a PAN Protocol (Personal Area network) and standards limt the power output to around 25mw, and most devices run in the 10-25mw range. With 802.11x most devices only output around 100mw and is a defacto-standard. Now if you wanna drool, Extra-class Licensed Amature radio opeators are allowed to run 1 kw output power (omni-directional) in the 2.4ghz band and allow more power to be used if a directional attena is used (i cant rember the max).

With most comercial band cellular (800mhz and 1900mhz, i dont know about the others) the FCC limits 500mw omni-directional and again has provisions for directional attena at higher power outputs.

for thoes that dont know, omni-directional refres to the the attena outputing in all directions, think car attena, where directional refres to the signal only being sent in one area, think pringles can attena. The FCC allows for higher output powers over directional orintated links as they preduce less cross band interfearance because the signl only occupys a small percentage of the airwaves, where an omni-directional attena sends out everywhere polluting all of the airwaves around it.

If you want another exmaple consider how much ligh is emited by a lightbulb, if placed in the center of a empty room, it will illuminate the room, this is the same effect an omni-direction attena would have, now, replace the light bulb with a laser pointer, the laser pointer will only illuminate a verry verry small percentage of the room, this is the effect of a (proper)directional attena. and hence why you are only allowed to use a dim lightblub, but a bright laser pointer.

~X

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan